+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Adding Acetone in gasoline

I read Carlos put acetone (nail polisher remover) in the tank I went from 45 to 55 mpg from the Long range Distance topic. I've been doing websurfing on this topic but there anything conclusive. Supposely you add acetone 100% 1-3oz to every 10 gallons of gas that does not contain ethanol. It's suppose to clean the fuel injection system and/or burn the gas at a higher temperature this being the reason for improved mileage. Some people say they seen none to big improvements in mileage. In Carlos case a 22% increase. Has anyone else had success doing this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I TRI ADDINDG ACETON MY MAZDA 626 FOUR CYLINDER 86 OKTAN GASOLINE. I NEVER SEE ENI ONE PUT IN MAZDA ACETONE.I NOW SOME RISALT THEN I REPLAY. Regards Laszlo

I am a escape owner who has not yet had the courage to try acetone. I have a friend who has a prius and is using acetone on a regular basis and has gotten an additional 4-8 miles per gallon on average. He uses 3 oz. per 10 gallons. I have been sitting back and watching for a down side to the acetone, all seems well so far. I dont know about a cleaner burn , but he did say something about surface tension of the gasoline being reduced, making for a more efficient delivery at the injectors. Im not a rocket scientist, so Im not sure what all that means, but it is hard to argue with the extra fuel economy. My friend is a brave soul, who has deeper pockets than I do . so I thought I'd let him see if there would be any long term affects to his drivetrain. good luck.

The "surface Tension" this guy was talking about may better be explained as atomization. With the acetone in a 2-3oz per ten gallon mixture, the acetone breaks down the hydrocarbon molecules (gasoline). This in turn makes it easier for the injectors to atomize the gasoline. This allows for a cleaner, more complete, hotter burn. With the fuel completely burning, there are less emissions. Also, the fuel is almost used to its full potential. The volitility of the gasoline is its rating of knock. This means it is rated on a scale of how much temperature and pressure the fuel can withstand before self-combustion. You see the number everytime you fill up your tank. This is the octane rating. Somewhere around 87-93. Essentially, you are raising the octane rating of the gasoline. My testing of this is still incomplete, due to trial runs with different mixtures. I have noted so far that it has increased the quality of my fuel from regular, to at least supreme...from Cheveron... I have not seen any draw backs so far. HOWEVER, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BE SMART AND ADD MORE THAN 4 OUNCES. By doing this you are risking fuel system parts damage. Shops do not replace things cheap. Also, the amount of chemical change is limited. Meaning that about 3 ounces produces the best mixture you are going to be able to create on your own. Anyways, good luck and have fun with better gas mileage... If you do not see any affects, try a few different gas stations.

I used to own a 1961 Saab with a 2-cycle engine. You had to add a quart of oil to the gas tank before adding the gasoline, to get better mixing.

Similarly, I would presume one should add the 2-3 ounces of acetone into the gas-filler port _before_ adding the gasoline, to get better mixing...right?

The dealer told me specifically not to use the E85 stuff due to the potential for engine damage.

Does the Acetone mixture have the potential for similar concerns?

As I have heard, "eureka...I think I found it"..its true.. I drive a 2005 civic hybrid. I was averaging 42 to 44 city and 45- 48 Hwy. I started adding Acetone at the rate of 3oz per full tank (roughly 12 gallons). My resluts are very impressive. i now record 47 to 49 city and a robust 51 to 59 hwy but must add not driving like I'm going to the finish line of the Daytona 500 in first place either. This has cured my doubts about the use of acetone and to Brother BIG OIL , we found a way to keep passing the pump a little longer.

Of course I'm sure someone out there in our environmentalist world will try to think of some way to outlaw this... give em time. Cant let the little guy get one up on ya. But it sure feels good commuting to work and having to fill up only once about every two weeks....

i'm only a 16 y/o kid but i know my stuff about cars. apparently pure acetone has an octane rating of 156 (apx). The results that me and my parents recieved in our 2001 monte carlo [3800 series II] are not amazing but are substancial enough (3mpg city/5 mpg highway) that we are going to continue with the acetone mixing. Although we have heard through long reporst that the ideal amount is different for every vehicle and can be anywhere from 2-6 ounces per 10gal. Also I'm am rather please with the power increase. I would expect about an extra 5hp to the wheels.

Try it out and post your results. Don't worry about long term effects. My father's best friend has been doing it to his 88' Maxima for 200,000miles. It currently is at over 400,000miles with no problems.
    The fuel lines are fine and it has no problem passing emmisions.

Personally, I would be concerned about adding it to any car/truck. Each car/truck is made of different materials and I could be wrong but acetone could affect parts differently. Meaning, some cars may not have steel fuel lines, etc. and therefore may not be able to withstand a different chemical makeup. The question you have to ask yourself before doing this..Is the added benefit of doing this worth the risk of messing up your car/turck? I would ask the manufacture before trying this. Has anyone contacted, say, honda to find out possible implications?