+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Hybrid or Diesel?

Quotes from Honda

Hybrid technology works best in smaller vehicles," said John Mendel, Honda senior vice president

As for the diesel, Honda Vice President Ed Cohen said the timing is right to bring a new breed of quieter, smoother, cleaner engines to the USA. They achieve 30% better mileage than comparable gas engines. Volkswagen and DaimlerChrysler also have made a commitment to diesel in the USA.

Doesnt MOS read what Honda says?

Honda seem to be his favorite "american" company

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hybrid or Diesel?

VW had a safety recall on the TDI related to the diesel compression issues and a fire hazard. The consumer reports data on the TDI is not positive and can be reviewed online or in any bookstore at any time.

Diesels have a place in trucks and larger vehicles, as Honda has said, but really isnt the best choice in the small car arena and we are seeing that come to fruition very quickly here in the US.

Hybrid or Diesel?

Of course Honda also have recalls, such as the 2006 recall for loose accelerator pedals which can cause a stuck throttle.

I was at the dealer this morning looking at the 2006 Jetta TDIs. I'm considering buying one. I would not consider a hybrid based on all that I've read about them. They do not fit my driving needs, and rarely get near EPA mileage estimates. The TDI does meet my driving needs, and as others have pointed out, easily meets or exceeds EPA mileage estimates.

While VW quality has had its ups and downs, my two TDIs have been trouble-free, and service at my dealership has been excellent.

I note a couple of threads here where a few people have not been so lucky with their Civic and Accord hybrids.

If affordable diesels are no longer available, I will look towards straight gasoline cars with efficient engines like the 2.0T direct-injection gas engine from VW/Audi.

Hopefully VW will bring over its Twincharger in the near future: this 1.4 liter direct-injection gasser puts out 170 hp and 177 lb-ft of torque starting below 2000 rpm all the way up to over 5000 rpm, for the highest specific output (hp per liter) of any mainstream engine, and it's rated in Europe for 48 mpg (imperial) or about 40 mpg US.

It's a relatively simple design with both a supercharger and a simple fixed-vane turbocharger. VW claims it costs less to manufacture than a TDI.

Hybrid or Diesel?

Based on everything I've read at tdiclub.com, VW TDI's will be back in the 2008 model year, with a new engine that meets the new EPA certifications...

Hybrid or Diesel?

The track record on most hybrids has been solid and as I have said, simple gander at the relaibility data via Consumer Reports is definitive and allows comparable data. Manufacturers like Toyota and Honda for instance offer much greater relaibility than VW.

Hybrids are becoming more wdiely available from GM ( SAturn VUe), Hyundai, in addition to Honda Toyota and Ford.

The technology already has exceeded relaibility of many gas based vehicles and one is this years motor trend car of the year.

The engine fire recall for the VW Diesel was very serious and the acclerator pedal issue , which did not apply to any hybrids, was minor.

VW as a company has many many problems as elaborated in a recent WSJ article, and is distinctly less American in parts and assembly than other hybrid options, which while important to me, may not matter one bit to most folks.

Hybrid or Diesel?

Ofeer of Ringwood NJ (05/25/06)
    "My VW Jetta has been the worst purchase of my life. I traded in my perfect Jeep Grand Cherokee when gas prices went up thinking I was making a good choice but the money i have spent on the Jetta in the past 9 months far exceedes what I would have paid in gas for the Jeep. Whatever could go wrong in this aweful car has and my complaints are similar to all the other ones. The car eats oil every 3000 miles and I was told to just throw a bottle of oil in there every 1000 miles, gee thanks."

Amanda of York PA (05/10/06)
    "I recently bought a 2006 Jetta TDI, brand new. I had it for a week and a half and put 800 miles on it, when my tiptronic transmission suddenly blew. They have no clue what happened, and it has been now 8 days.

Supposedly they were going to replace the whole transmission, but they can't seem to find one. I have spoke to my dealer, and I have spoken to VW Customer Care and no one knows anything. My car is just sitting there waithing for a new transmission."

Charles of Shreveport LA (02/23/06)
    "I was driving my VW Jetta that has 51,000 miles on it home when the car began to jerk and lose power. At the same time this was happening my MIL light began to flash. I was only 1/8 of a mile from home."

Paul of Mount Vernon NY (01/31/06)
    "I drive a Volkswagon Jetta. My engine shut off while I was exiting the highway. I almost crashed into another car and the exit barrier as I had to steer my car to the shoulder. I had to get towed home. Thank God my son and I were ok. I spent a little over $1,000 to fix it, and it was just several hundred miles over warranty. The money isn't a problem as is the safety factor. I lost ALL power on the highway. This is an issue that must be faced by VW."

Joy of Orange VA (01/24/06)
    "My son's 1995 jetta caught on fire in our driveway."

Moira of Philadelphia PA (01/16/06)
    "My TDI was the absolute worst purchase I have ever made. This piece of junk is GONE.
    Then the brakes went, and had to be replaced. Next, it began to burn oil like crazy (a common problem, one that I've seen several people complaint about on this website), and every so often, the "low engine oil pressure" light will come on and I have to immediately stop at a gas station to buy oil (I had to go to another mechanic to find out that this was the way to fix the problem -- the VW mechanic was completely baffled). I try to keep a spare bottle or two on hand. The dealer can't figure out what's causing the problem.

Then something broke, which made the entire car shake, and the rattling noise as I drove from my home in Philadelphia to the nearest dealership (about 45 minutes) was terrifying.

I've had to have the taillights fixed countless times because of a "faulty switch". The front passenger-side window fell inside the door while I was on my way to work one day, damaging some part in the door.

While they were in there, they discovered that I needed new front brakes. AGAIN. So I had those replaced, but the dealer put them in wrong, so I had to go back. While they were fixing THAT problem, they discovered that the belt around the A/C unit was rusted and cracked (why they didn't see that when they "fixed" the brakes the first time is a mystery). That was August.

In October, I had to replace those same brakes YET AGAIN. I thought that would be the end of it for a while, but no, I found a nasty note on my windshield this morning, informing me that I had "left my car alarm on" and that it had gone off "every hour, all day" yesterday. I thought the neighbor who complained was full of it, but right now, the car is parked right in front of my house and the alarm has gone off 3 times in the past 2 hours. It also goes off when I lock the car. Without explanation. Nobody is messing with it or anything. This car has been a nightmare. I'm buying myself a Honda for graduation!

Hybrid or Diesel?

Now what does "my tiptronic transmission blew"
    have to do with diesel?????
    What a stupid example in this discussion.
    If you dont think TDI is reliable (I had no problems
    in almost 2 years 30000miles totoal 80000miles)
    then buy the Honda diesel coming in 2007/2008.

MOS wrote
    "Diesels have a place in trucks and larger vehicles, as Honda has said, but really isnt the best choice in the small car arena and we are seeing that come to fruition very quickly here in the US. "

Honda spokesman DID not say that. MOS is twisting the words. The Honda spokesman said
    "Hybids is good for smaller cars"
    He did not say the above quote. But this is what
    he and Hot-Georgia do. Change wording and
    bring up irrellevant things such as perceived
    maintenance issues that has nothing to do with
    diesel engines. "Fire in a diesel engine" LOL LOL
    Go on this very website and read about the failed
    hybrids with disappointing mpg and still subsidized
    by us taxpayers

Hybrid or Diesel?

Amanda of Bridgeport CT (01/16/06)
    "I have had my TDI since 2005. The car seemed fine for about 4 months, and then the problems started. Almost every little thing inside the car has had something wrong with it. My cupholders broke (first the left one broke, then the right one broke, then the whole pull-out piece snapped off). Two pieces of my air vents came loose, the clip for the center console broke off, my ashtray & cupholder in the backseat broke, and my glovebox door snapped off and now hangs on to a little shred of plastic.

My passenger side vanity mirror broke and the light above it won't switch off, so i have to use a rolled up nakpin to keep it from burning out. An important button on my radio stopped working and the top-coat of stuff on my door handles is peeling off. Now i have a brake pad light that is on. My a/c stopped working, but since I got it fixed, it smells weird everytime i turn it on.

I really don't know what to do about the car; most of these problems are small annoyances but they shouldn't be happening. I have to do alot of do-it-yourself things to fix my car and it's really sad and almost funny that I've had to repair things with duct tape and napkins. Other things are too expensive to fix; Some of the interior things can't be fixed (like the radio button) without having to buy a whole new console, and I don't have $150 to install a new cupholder. My warranty is worthless. I love my car but I just can't afford to fix it."

Lauren of Howell NJ (05/11/06)
    "I have brought my 2006 Jetta into David Michael each time I have needed an oil change......I have also complained NUMEROUS times that my car is eating up my oil becasue it becomes "dangerously" low after 4,000 miles of not having an oil change. I have gone through 3 different oil comsumption tests and after each time they tell me nothing is wrong with my car....It is hard to believe considering that if I do not go exactly 3,000 miles to have my oil change it can become a problem as a result of the oil level being too low."

Michelle of Houston TX (11/16/05)
    "I have a 2004 Volkswagon Jetta that is burning oil excessively, dashboard trembles, and part of the bumper keeps falling off. After reading other consumer's similar experiences, I have just decided to sell this car ASAP before it breaks down completely."

I don't recommend Volkswagen to my friends.
    Friends don't let friends buy Volkswagen.

Hybrid or Diesel?

"My passenger side vanity mirror broke and the light above it won't switch off, so i have to use a rolled up nakpin to keep it from burning out. An important button on my radio stopped working and the top-coat of stuff on my door handles is peeling off. Now i have a brake pad light that is on. My a/c stopped working, but since I got it fixed, it smells weird everytime i turn it on. "

above a is a quote from Hot_Georgia...oh yes it
    has all to do with a diesel engine problem..amazing
    how little mechanical knowledge people has

Hybrid or Diesel?

Solutions

Honda Accord Hybrid: Problems & Solutions

63 messages, Last post on Jun 12, 2006 at 2:33 PM

Created by KarenS in the Honda Accord Hybrid Message Board.
    Your Hosts are sylvia & pf_flyer

What is this discussion about? Honda Accord, Sedan, Hybrid

Get a price quote on a Honda Accord Consumer Rating 9.4 228 Reviews

Messages Outline

Messages Page 7 of 7 Go To Msg # Search This Discussion
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Recent Msgs

#54 of 63 Re: HAH ' 05 muffler [viet] by gagrice May 29, 2006 (4:39 pm)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: viet (May 29, 2006 11:56 am)

Viet,
    You let your son talk you into one of those loud tin can mufflers on the HAH? I bet it is not very silent running now...
    #55 of 63 Re: "The Harmonic Drones" [smokey10] by morphet May 30, 2006 (1:10 pm)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: smokey10 (May 15, 2006 9:37 am)

Thank goodness. I am no longer alone with my drone. I have owned my HAH for a year and half, noticed the droning about a year ago and then over the winter it went away. I blamed myself at first (for I know not what) since I could never actually figure out the exact conditions under which the 5 secs or so of resonating would occur. It still isn't clear to me what causes it but I do notice that with the hot weather settling in, the resonance vibrations are back and they do seem to occur on downshifting.

I read this thread of messages with great interest and am grateful to all of you who persist in calling dealers and newsmedia and making someone pay attention. I will call my dealer here in Indiana and see if they have any idea about it and get back to you.
    Replies to this message:
    steevin (Jun 01, 2006 12:23 pm)
    paddy1 (Jun 01, 2006 5:06 pm)
    dmcse (Jun 09, 2006 12:58 pm)

#56 of 63 Re: "The Harmonic Drones" [smokey10] by paddy1 Jun 01, 2006 (5:46 am)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: smokey10 (May 15, 2006 9:37 am)

smokey10: I have just started experiencing the same noise with my 05 hybrid. Honda Canada knows nothing about it. Could you tell me what dealer you used to finally get the fix? I will call them and get some info.

Thanks.
    #57 of 63 Re: "The Harmonic Drones" [morphet] by steevin Jun 01, 2006 (12:23 pm)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: morphet (May 30, 2006 1:10 pm)

Hello.

I just purchased a used HAH and did not notice the issue until I put about 260 miles on it. At first I was kicking myself, thinking I bought a lemon. I'm glad to hear others have the issue as well.

I agree with some of the other posts. Heat does seem to be a factor with this issue.

Has anyone had the ANG replaced by the dealer? Did that fix the issue? I bought my vehicle out of state, so returning to the dealer of purchase is not an option for me. I would like to go to my local Honda dealer with a definitive answer as to what fixes this so they can proceed appropriately.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Replies to this message:
    paddy1 (Jun 01, 2006 5:06 pm)

#58 of 63 Re: "The Harmonic Drones" [steevin] by paddy1 Jun 01, 2006 (5:06 pm)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: steevin (Jun 01, 2006 12:23 pm)

After hearing all of Smokey's problems, I decided to call a dealer in a major US city. (I'm in Canada) This of course was after calling both Honda US and Honda Canada, both of whom flat out denied this ANC problem existed. The service manager was very helpful (mine won't even discuss it until I bring the car in.) He looked up the problem in the TSB database and came back with TSB 05-006A.(it might be 06-005A, as I wrote it down at work today). If the booming noise is observed by the dealer, the ANG should be replaced along with the front speakers, as they are tied together. I seached the web and found the actual TSB document by Honda on Alldata.com. I am a little worried about getting the dealer to hear the problem, as with my luck it won't happen. I do agree that heat is a problem, as this week in Ottawa it has been around 30C and it happened on each use. I still don't know how both Honda Us and Honda Canada can deny the problem exists when there is a TSB out on it. Pathetic. It's still a great car. Does anyone who has had it changed have any advice for getting the dealer to A)hear it happening and B)Agree to change it...Thanks
    #59 of 63 HAH 2006 steering problems: Got suggestions? by emma15 Jun 05, 2006 (12:55 am)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: KarenS (Jun 15, 2005 6:52 am)

When making left turns, my steering wheel sticks in the left position and I must manually turn it back to straighten the wheel out. This only happens sometimes. The degree of turn needs only be slight and it happens at different speeds. I tried to "duplicate" the problem for a Honda mechanic, but it didn't happen with him in the car. He then looked at me like I was nuts. The stickiness of the wheel happens without warning and can be a little frustrating when driving. Ever hear of this problem before? I drive a Honda Accord Hybrid 2006. It was bought three weeks ago. I'd like it fixed but can't seem to pinpoint the problem and the Honda mechanics won't open up the steering unless they know what to look for.
    #60 of 63 Re: "The Harmonic Drones" [dmathews3] by nocapisce Jun 07, 2006 (5:32 pm)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: dmathews3 (May 15, 2006 1:44 pm)

I had an annoying drone harmonic on my 2004 Civic Hybrid. I chased it down to the black plastic trim on the lower left side of my windshield. I stuck a piece of reinforced package strapping tape there and problem was solved.

The sound/drone was as if it was the transmission or front lefttire or engine compartment/wheel well. The tape came loose but stayed on the black trim. This tape just sitting there was enough to break up the harmonic. Think reed in a wind instrument

nocapisce
    Replies to this message:
    morphet (Jun 08, 2006 5:38 am)
    rhj88 (Jun 12, 2006 2:33 pm)

#61 of 63 Re: "The Harmonic Drones" [nocapisce] by morphet Jun 08, 2006 (5:38 am)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: nocapisce (Jun 07, 2006 5:32 pm)

Update on the Indiana HAH with drone - my dealer looked it up in his Honda materials and suggested the replacement of ANC and front speakers solution. Seems rather extensive. I couldn't tell from reading this string of emails whether anyone had had complete success with the full ANC (or in Canada, ANG) replacement? Next step, I have to bring it in and hope that it is warm enough for a drone to occur and they can officially diagnose a faulty ANC. I am assuming that this replacement is gratis but I haven't got that far yet. I have thought of just sticking a magnet somewhere just to see if that little bit extra something changes the standing wave frequency enough to stop the resonating a la the tape on the plastic trim. And, I am going to try the self diagnostic trick sent in by rhj88 on Sep 17, 2005.
    Keep you posted on any future successes. In the meantime, it's happy droning... I mean driving.
    Replies to this message:
    rhj88 (Jun 12, 2006 2:33 pm)

#62 of 63 Re: "The Harmonic Drones" [morphet] by dmcse Jun 09, 2006 (12:58 pm)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: morphet (May 30, 2006 1:10 pm)

I am glad i read some of the articles re the "Harmonic drone". I have had this problem for some time but, I am pretty convinced that it's more prevalent in hot weather. Having taken the car to the dealership twice, the Service Manager reiterated that this was normal. I took it up with Customer care at Honda Canada, and he immediately spoke with the Service manager, and came back to me and conveyed to me that there is a problem with the Noise reduction System and that I would have to take it back to replace this system. i am taking it back on Monday, and will keep you informed as to what happens. In the meantime... enjoy the Torture Chamber
    #63 of 63 Re: "The Harmonic Drones" [morphet] by rhj88 Jun 12, 2006 (2:33 pm)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: morphet (Jun 08, 2006 5:38 am)

Remember when going through the diagnostic that you do not want to use the program to turn on the ANC as that will actually disable it....follow the instructions I posted exactly and when you exit diagnostics the ANC will be on.

My dealer is in Lodi, Calif. and I demonstrated this to them on a test drive with the district parts and service manager in my car. They were surprised to say the least because at first they thought I was crazy! They were supposed to enter it on their dealer network computer links for all dealers to see.

Messages Page 7 of 7 Go To Msg # Search This Discussion
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Recent Msgs

To POST a message, please Sign In.

You are here: Forums Hybrid Vehicles Honda Accord Hybrid Honda Accord Hybrid: Problems & Solutions

Home | News | Columns | Road Tests
    Future Vehicles | Feature Articles | Shows & Events
    Photos & Videos | Forums | Browse All Models
    Feedback | Help

Edmunds.com is hiring! Employment Opportunities

1995-2006 Edmunds.com, Inc.
    Privacy Statement | Visitor Agreement

Videos on Inside Line

Featured Video

2007 Toyota Yaris
    2006 Honda Civic Si vs. 2006 Volkswagen GT
    Full Video Gallery
    2007 Audi Q7 2007 Lexus GS450h Nissan Skyline GT-R Feature 2006 BMW 530xi Sport Wagon 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe More Videos