+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Hybrid or Diesel?

The Jetta tank is 55 liters which is 14.51 gallons. Most however manage to squeeze in a bit more than that, around 65 liters (on the older Jettas, the new model can't do this due to a different fill nozzle design). However using the nominal 55 liter capacity, leaving a 3.8 liter reserve (1 US gallon), the range of the car based on 5.1 L/100 km is 1058 km which is 661 miles.

Based on my experience with our Jetta TDI, 4.9 L/100 km is possible on the highway very easily (48.3 mpg). With 60 liters of fuel (squeezing fuel into the headspace), and using a 5 liter reserve (a bit over a gallon), the range would be 1224 km which is 765 miles. In fact I've done better than that with my Jetta, my record being just over 800 miles on 64 liters.

Most Jetta owners (manuals) report better than EPA mileage.

PS congratulations on bringing this thread to over 300 posts!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hybrid or Diesel?

Who cares if a car has a tank that give a range of
    600,700 or 800 miles? Most of us dont live in Siberia. The stations thats sell diesel is rarely more
    than a few miles apart. I can get more than 600 miles on my TDI if I go very low probably 700.
    Someone use words like "embarassed" not even knowing the capacity
    of a fuel tank. Wow someone came unprepared to
    the meeting. Anyone with knowledge of the
    2002 TDI with VNT (variable nozzle turbo) knows
    this car last 3 battery replacements of a hybrid
    (thats 80000miles times 3) before much maintenance has to be done.
    Be careful when your little funny hybrid get a short
    200 miles from the nearest Honda dealer.

Hybrid or Diesel?

Bjorn,

Just because old grease monkeys can't fix everything in a hybrid doesn't mean that no one can. Fortunately, they don't require much maintenance. Most of the stuff on a hybrid is swappable anyway - similiar to most of the stuff in any other contemporary car. Try to find a mechanic who can fix a turbo, an automatic transmission, ABS, electronic ignition, or even a fuel injection system - their sales haven't suffered to badly because of these things.

You sound a bit like the old sea dogs in the 1800's who knew how to set sails but refused to acknowledge steam. They fought more than a 50 year battle to hang on to the only technology that they knew when the new alternatives clearly showed much more capability.

I believe another favorite quote from the last transportation revolution was "get a horse". Those tin lizzies never will really catch on. Better not break down or the local farrier and cooper together won't be able to fix it.

And where do you get the battery life of a hybrid at 80,000 miles? They're warranteed at 100,000 miles.

Hybrid or Diesel?

Look what this guy wrote about Honda trying to
    diagnose the problem with his hybrid.
    "Originally Posted by hchowner
    I just stopped at the dealership this morning and they said that Honda Headquarters had the car when this violation happened. I asked the dealership to write down the mileage of the car. They have put on 1000 miles trying to diagnoses this problem. I will have to call headquarters Monday morning to figure out what is going on."

If my turbo for some odd reason should fail I dont
    think VW need to drive my TDI half across the
    continent to find the problem.

I drive a stick and the new VW turbos use a DSG
    transmission which is simple manual transmission
    operated by the driver or in a automatic mode.
    The manual transmission never need oilchange
    and usually last forever unlike the duracell cars.
    Warranty of batteries 100k or 80k? Does not make
    much difference. Who would buy a used hybrid
    close to warranty of batteries about to expire?
    I would not unless I got it for next to nothing.
    Can just imagine the resale value at 99999 miles.
    ROTFLMAO.

Hybrid or Diesel?

Below is a quote from Edmunds.com re warranty
    Civic Hybrid

"Standard Warranty

Basic: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.
    Drivetrain: 5 yr. / 60,000 mi.
    Hybrid Component: 8 yr. / 80,000 mi.
    Rust: 5 yr. / Unlimited mi "

Hybrid or Diesel?

Quality of VW versus Honda?

Rust warranty tells it all.

Honda 5years

VW 12years

Hybrid or Diesel?

Unfortunately the real world experience tells the difference. VWs are unreliable and very expensive to repair. You never wanna have to take a VW into the dealer. Way too expensive.

Hybrid or Diesel?

Simple perusal of the consumer reports car model history data shows the Volkswagon Jetta TDI to be much less relaible than many other vehicles, including most if not all Honda models.

In addition, diesel emissions are a carve out noted problem for this smog generating vehicle.

Folks who care about our environment should note this.

It is not recommended for purchase by Consumer Reports.

Fuel efficiency is excellent, but still a far cry form the superior and much more relaible Highly recommended Honda Civic Hybrid for all years 2003-2006.

Just check out the data--its crystal clear.

Hybrid or Diesel?

Interstingly, the 0-60 acceleration is slower than the Honda Civic Hybrid for 2006; I would not have guessed that. The difference in engineering is more than I thought.

Hybrid or Diesel?

After two years of debating hybrid vs. diesel, I finally stopped mulling the question and bought a 2006 HCH. After 5,000 miles, I'm just over 50mpg and loving the car. But it was a close call. My brother has been burning biodiesel in a 98 Jetta (he also gets 50mpg) and I love his car too. Ultimately, four factors made my decision:

1. Federal tax credit + no state sales tax in CT. That took the price of the HCH way below Jetta and into Golf diesel territory.

2. Honda reliability. My last car was a 97 Jetta gasser. I think I spent the equivalent of a monthly car payment in repairs. Worst car ever. I opted for Honda reliability.

3. The new Jettas are heavier and have a bigger PD engine than my brother's. They're now 100hp and rated 36/41, with manual. I don't mind manual, but that's a far cry from my Civic w/ cvt. The Golf is an old design. The new design, which is in the GTI, and which I tested in the Audi A3 is *super* cool, but not available with diesel.

4. PZEV

Clean diesel would be great, but it's not here yet. Right now the responsible choice is hybrid. My next vehicle (8-10 years off, I hope) will be a diesel hybrid. Hybrid premium should be $1,500 + $1500 diesel premium. That will pay for itself quickly when fuel is $5+/gl.