+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Hybrid or Diesel?

Well, I used the Canadian fuel economy numbers that state the Passat TDI gets 5.7 L/100 km on the highway, or 42 mpg US, with CO2 listed at 3.99 metric tons per year. The 38 mpg quoted by the US gov't sources is actually on the low side. I can easily get 42 mpg or better driving at 60-65 mph. My *average* with the car is in fact closer to the US gov't *highway* number: 37 mpg. From what I've read here, only a small minority can meet the EPA numbers for the Prius/HCH. Many TDI owners can meet or exceed EPA.

The thing with the 2.0T direct injection engine is that it will only realize its full potential on low-sulphur gas. For now, it as good as a 4-cyl Accord on fuel but with the performance of a 6-cyl.

I still maintain, at least in my case, that the hybrid numbers don't add up, economically that is. On the other hand, the TDI was for us an economic no-brainer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hybrid or Diesel?

The refernce to greenhousegases for the Passat
    TDI of 6.9tons a year is probably based on the
    high sulphur gas. Once the sulphur gas comes
    on market in a couple of months that will be reduced. Passat should be compared to the Camry
    as far as mpg goes. If the Camry comes with
    a direct injected engine (it probably does, but not
    in the US) it will also significantly improve mpg too.
    The Jetta with DI 200hp engine is rated at a better
    mpg than the indirect 150hp engine.

Hybrid or Diesel?

above should read "Passat should NOT"

Hybrid or Diesel?

"VW will drop the diesel versions of its Jetta, Golf and Beetle models for the 2007 model year, which begins this fall"
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...605280708/1014
    Why? Because they won't make the new emission standards, while hybrids do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT cheering, as many will loose out with this fuel saving vehicles.

On the bright side, I understand Honda will begin selling diesels which must be cleaner. Likely more reliable as well.

Hybrid or Diesel?

I had already heard VW planned to drop diesels
    in the US, but I am delighted to see they plan to
    be back in 2008 and then with the proper
    pollution equipment. Wonder if this coincide with
    the much stricter Euro standards for diesel?
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/schedule.htm
    Guess it is time to stock up on TDI's since I am not
    willing to but a MB CDI for commuting to work.
    Last week I changed timing belt and cleaned
    intake manifold on my TDI and could right away
    feel the car is running better. With the new diesel
    fuel coming on market soon I should not have to clean manifold every 50-60000 miles.
    As far as polution goes I read that European Union
    is more worried about CO2 than the US and thats
    one reason they like to see more diesels on the road.
    A barrel of crude produce a certain quantity of
    diesel and gasoline and it will probably be good
    to have both gas and diesel cars on the road to
    ensure there is a market for both.
    Good to see Hot-Georgia is back.

Hybrid or Diesel?

Re reliable Honda versus VW?
    As far as the engine goes I think it will be hard
    to beat VW. The TDI engine is a durable with
    extra longevity.

Hybrid or Diesel?

TDI vs. gasoline - The TDi emissions levels are among the lowest ever for Diesel powered engines. All TDi powered Volkswagens sold in the US meet so-called "Tier 1" emission limits. The TDi is often "cleaner" overall than gasoline powered cars. CO2 emissions are 25% less than a conventional gasoline powered engine. CO, HC and NOx emissions are less than previous Volkswagen Diesels. Diesel fuel has lower evaporative emissions than gasoline. Diesel fuel also requires less energy intensive refining than gasoline.

Diesel engines generally emit higher amounts of NOx and particles than equivalent gasoline powered cars, even though CO and HC emissions may be lower, and total emissions are lower due to much better fuel consumption. The current TDI Volkswagens typically emit slightly somewhat lower than the Tier 1 limits for NOx and particles (around 0.052 g/mi of particulate matter [PM] and 0.82 g/mi of NOx per EPA data), but the CO and HC emissions are far below the Tier 1 limits and well below the emissions of the equivalent gasoline engine.

Furthermore, most of the unregulated toxic gaseous emissions tend to be lower for diesel engines. For example, benzene (which is a known carcinogen) is lower in diesels by nearly an order of magnitude (i.e., factor of ten) than an equivalent gasoline engine. Diesels also tend to be significantly lower in emissions of alkenes (e.g., ethene), carbonyls (e.g., formaldehyde), and semivolatiles like polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs, many of which are known or suspected carcinogens).

PM has always been regulated by mass (e.g., grams per mile). However, very recent studies show that particle number may be the more important aspect of PM emissions. According to a "real world vehicle testing report" by University of Minnesota renowned combustion particle scientists, new data show that PM number emissions from modern gasoline cars may equal or exceed diesel PM levels. It goes on to discuss gasoline PM emissions and that fact that gasoline engines may need a particulate filter much like that of a diesel. The University of Minnesota study showed that newer and older gasoline vehicles matched or exceeded diesel PM number emissions at high speed/load . It appears that diesel engines equipped with diesel particulate filters (DPFs), as many are now in Europe, will have a significant advantage in PM emissions over gasoline engines. Other recent studies are suggesting that gasoline PM is generally more toxic that diesel PM.

The emission levels from diesel engines tend to remain more-or-less constant throughout the useful life of the engine, whereas gasoline engines have many more emission-related components which deteriorate and lead to higher and higher emissions as the engine gets older

Hybrid or Diesel?

So....all those many long paragraphs begs one simple question....

If VW diesels are so superior clean then why would VW abandon selling them here in the U.S. because they don't meet clean air standards?

VW diesel engines being more reliable than Honda.
    Can one get more absurd?
    Perhaps they should have sold some of those VW engines to Honda to improve Honda reliability.
    ROTFLMAO

Hybrid or Diesel?

The current US TDI is extremely clean compared to old diesels and will get better with clean diesel.
    In my link above EU standard will soon be 10ppm
    and as we know in the US we will soon have 50ppm. In the link Hot_Georgia we can read that
    VW plan to come back with the TDI in 2008 using
    a particle filter.
    Mechanically VW engines are way ahead of japanese engines. They dont wear, burn oil or
    leaks at the cylinder head. With proper preventive
    maintenance of course. Japanese car engine have more of those problems. VW had its share of
    electrical problems and power windows breaking so
    overall the japanese cars are probably better.
    Wonder how you have reliabilty data on Honda
    diesel engine that is still not sold in the US?