+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Hybrid or Diesel?

"The carbon dioxide released through the burning of petroleum was sequestered in the earth for millions of years. The carbon dioxide released through the burning of biofuels was sequestered for a growing season. The simple fact is that we will release more carbon into the air from petroleum than we will from biofuels.

Petroleum short circuits the carbon cycle, while biofuels takes part in it. Anyone with a high school education in biology knows this, and anyone with this basic knowledge that attempts to refute it is being disingenuous."

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hybrid or Diesel?

By driving a hybrid, I enjoy being ppart of the solution to emissions and dependency on foreign oil. Its what we as Americans need to be doing.

I agree there is room for more than one solution and I do like the concept of ethanol based vehicles and pay our rural farmers for fuel instead of Iran as well.

AS far as diesel, there is a lot of work on the emissions issue as can be seen in that Mercedes link wxman posted. Hopefully it all works, but all of those extra emission control pieces look like a possibl;e maintenance issue.

Hybrid or Diesel?

Wake up MOS. The diesel solution is out there.
    You just dont want to see it. Keep on clinging
    to the idea that since we dont have it in the USA
    it does not count. But hydrogen cars seem to be
    ok to consider even before we have them for sale
    or have a network of filling stations. Would like
    you to explain why readely available diesel
    cars cannot be considered but hydrogen cars can??
    Yes farmers can produce some of our fuel..
    ..BIODIESEL... Look up Willie Nelson Biodiesel.
    Enjoy your hybrid with old fashioned gasoline engine.

Hybrid or Diesel?

Bjorn did you miss Moss's statement?
    "I agree there is room for more than one solution and I do like the concept of ethanol based vehicles and pay our rural farmers for fuel instead of Iran as well"

I've also made similar statements.

Both technologies have its strong and weak points.
    Both are great cars, and wonderful alternative to straight gasoline.

Personally I think this "my car is better than your car" conversation has ran its course and will perpetuate until the site closes.

Hybrid or Diesel?

Well there is excitement over many new technologies. Actually, its diesel that is the old technology. Diesels have inate emissions problems and even in their best circumstance have problems meeting emissions standards in the US. European cities are just filled with diesel pollution in many instances. Toyota has great diesel engines but hsnt introduced them in the US becuase they know their engines will outlive their emissions systems.

Hybrids, ethanol based cars, hydrogen fuel cells, dual hybrid designs-- all being emphasizied. And more diesels will be sold too.

The goal is increasing fuel efficiency, cleaning up the air, and not providing money to terrorist middle east nations. Hybrids, as well as other technologies---but not diesel for now-- provide solutions here in the US at this time.

Hybrid or Diesel?

MOS...your hybrid has a gasoline engine..a very
    old technology...nohybrids even have a direct injection gasoline engine...hydrogen is also an
    old technology..so are wheels and diesels..
    but we try to make them better...u two will
    never get it or u make believe not

Hybrid or Diesel?

MOS wrote: "Hopefully it all works, but all of those extra emission control pieces look like a possibl;e maintenance issue."

There is no shortage of emission control equipment on gasoline engines. ULEV doesn't just happen...ask anyone who's had to replace dud oxygen sensors on their gas automobiles.

Hybrid or Diesel?

I like MOS "assumptions" that everything goes
    wrong on the most advanced diesel cars, but
    I guess thats what we call "wishful thinking".
    FYI when your indirect injected gas/hybrid idle
    or runs at low power its ratio of air/gas is 14.7:1.
    If the hybrids had a modern direct injected
    gas engine the ratio can be as low as 64:1.
    Sound like that hybrid is outdated.