+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

honda civic vs. toyota prius

I would hope anyone reading this tread would realize a posting by a Toyota dealer, Mr. Ortiz, is going to be slightly biased !!

If bias alone is not enough to discount Mr. Ortiz, lets throw in some lies...Mr. Ortiz says "HCH has never been car of the year" - WRONG the '06 HCH is the 2006 Motor Trend Car of the Year and the 2006 North American Car of the Year. http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...ic+Sedan&Num=1

Mr. Ortiz says "You can get 714 miles to the gallon on the city with a Prius" WOW- I would like to see this, as it is more then 11x what the EPA claims !! For "real-world" milage (what your fellow drivers are getting) check out one of the following. The true is the HCH and Prius are within a couple of MPG
    http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/
    https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG....ion=browseList

Please Mr. Ortiz, oth the HCH and the Prius are great cars. Let the people decided without adding your biased views and lies !

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I just bought a HCH. I love it!
    I am still on my first tank of gas.
    I did not like the view out the back of the Pruis.
    I also read articlaes that with real driverd on real roads the Civiv & Pruis were equal on milage( avg 45mpg).

It was also $2000 cheaper than the Pruis.
    Funny that Toyota should raise prices $2,000 when the goverment gives a tax break of almost the same amount? Inside information?

I'v driven Honda for 10 years and also like the reliability. I also understand the Hybrid will be made in the USA in 2007.

Andrea - I fully agree with your comment, "I did not like the view out the back of the Pruis". This was one of the biggst reasons we went with the HCH over the Prius. The "bar" that seperated the sloped rear window and the nearly vertical window on the back, was dead in the middle of my field of view. My wife is nearly a foot shorter then I am and it was right in the middle of her view also. Dealer we spoke to said, "you will get used to it" and to be honest, he might be right, as Ihad not noticed it in the test drive I took, but my wife did (Does this mean she is more observant them I am ?!?!?).

I absolutely adore my HCH, it is a stick shift and from the Prius owners I know I find I get better gas mileage. But I think with most manual transmissions you tend to get better gas mileage. Besides that I love the style of my '05, it is a beautiful color, drives and handles wonderfully, and has great room for passengers.

When I bought the car I went in, picked my color and drove home with the one I wanted right from the Honda dealer, no waiting necessary. I also negotiated my price down and paid the MSRP price that included all options, taxes, tags, and an extended warranty.

I own a Toyota Prius AND Honda Civic Hyrbid, both in blue of course. I bout both because i couldnt deside on one or the other, plus i got the cash to blow. I enoy driving the Pruis More, because of its 21st centuray design.

Drive the Prius back to back with the '06 HCH and the Civic win's hands down in terms of handling, smoothness and overall responsiveness. In the Prius you sit high up with the non telescoping steering wheel almost flush to the dashboard. It is noisier, tippier and more subject to crosswinds.. in return you do get more utility with a larger/fold down rear seats and hatchback (which I prefer). I know this is a sweeping statement but if you don't like driving buy the Prius - you do get a lot of electronic toys and everyone will 'appreciate' the styling. I asked myself if i would buy the prius if it wasn't a hybrid and the answer was no. The HCH is a car i would buy even if it wasn't a hybrid.

We drove both and liked the HCH better. The Prius was nice, but my wife hated the interior and loved the new 06 HCH two-tier dash. We have 1600 miles on our HCH and we love it more today than the day we purchased it. I am a hair over 6' tall and the Prius was easier to get in and out of. No worries, I am waiting to drive (perhaps buy a second Hybrid) the New Camry Hybrid! :&gt Much better styling than the odd-looking but ever-more present Prius.

O.K. One of the last questions: My wife has an '06 PRIUS and loves it. I have driven it a bit and find it a little difficult on the getting in/out portion (sterring wheel to seat ratio - im a bit large). Once in though its a decent fit. I love the buttons and gizmos but do not like the styling that well. Learning the gizmos is a little confusing and needs a course on full features by the dealers. Our bluetooth phones for some reason will drop/disconnect from the system and have to be re-connected (a pain since you can't do any adjusting while driving). Long distance backing or maneuvering is a bit of a pain, the built in camera is of no real help except for what is DIRECTLY behind (bikes/toys or trash cans). Not a good use for judging side objects (and I have a class III truck license). Adding "features" on the PRIUS seems to be very restrictive. Different wheels cant be done due to the tire pressure sensors in them. Remote start cant be done due to the starting method on the PRIUS. The HCH seems to offer a better platform to have a regular car with enhancements, while still enjoying the benefits of MPG and HOV access (for now). I have yet to take the plung on either (for myself this time) but as the clock tics, I'm getting impatient. Has someone else out there had the same indecision on the HCH vs. the PRIUS? And if so - what was the final straw(s) that swayed you? Anyone own an '06 HCH and have some input (good or bad)? Thanks!

I need to make a final decision by this weekend (lease expires on my old car) I constantly hear good things about the Prius but when I went for a test drive I thought the rear window resembled a roof window more than a rear window because of its position. I live in hilly area of a major car crazed city (I see bad accidents at least 3 a week very nearby) so I feel the need to have really good windows. The lack of a real trunk also discourages me. Although I haven't tested the Honda as yet (I will today) my main concern is that of regular maintainence & repairs do you find that you must go to the dealer or have any of you found that it is fine going to a regular mechanic. Any other thoughts you can share will also be appreciated. Thanks

I just got my HCH '06 and love it. The new-design Civics have many of the most-desired features in the Pruis and a well-equipped Civic will cost much less than a decked out Pruis. I have the voice-activated Navi system in mine and it is well-worht the almost $2K asking price. The dash layout, safety and comfort, along with availability and cost (I got mine under sticker with free dealer-installed options) amde it a quick choice. The tax break ($2100 credit on HCH) is nice as well. The Civic uses its gas engine more and the system is not quite as sophisticated as the Pruis, but it is also cheaper to maintain (at least the batteries if they ever do die). I'm sold on the Honda technology.