+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solar Panels

Solar Panels

Jay, you're right. You and I have both obviously been reluctant to speak plainly about this 30-watt package for $2,195: It's a scam, pure and simple. Folks, it's a hoax.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Solar Panels

Not only would it not work, it seems pretty expensive, too. A 5 watt system can be obtained for less than $100, so 6 * $100 = $2200?

Solar Panels

Here is a thought!

Would the math work if you put solar panels on your home and a set of batteries and recharge the hybrid at night?

Solar Panels

eholm, that's what Steve (fourth message in this thread) did. But even with a house-roof's worth of solar cells, it's still marginal.

Solar Panels

And remember that the hybrids we have today can only run about one mile on the battery. Even if you have enough solar capacity to fully charge the battery, you will only get one mile of savings. Actually you don't even get that because the hybrid will run the IC engine until it is warm. You might as well have the IC engine charging the battery during that time or the fuel is mostly wasted bringing the engine up to operating temperature. I don't see how the solar chargers can make any significant difference in gas milage given the limited battery capacity and operating characteristics of the hybrids now available.

Solar Panels

Regarding solar use on automobiles, taking an integrated approach, perhaps a few additional things are worth consideration! 1) Nanotechnology is substantially increasing our capture and conversion capabilities-perhaps 50-60% in the next five years. 2) Battery technology is seeing the same kinds of advances. 3) Solar panels (I use this term lightly) are likely to be built into Macron or Lexan or some other similiar high strength PVC., allowing every panel on the automobile to capture photons convert them to electrons and perhaps even store them. 4) New materials and construction techniques coupled with increased market demand and competition are likely to significantly reduce the costs of such systems. 5) Other technologies such as wind resistance, thermionics and other renewables might also be explored to assist solar in battery recharge.

Solar Panels

No url

Solar Panels

"i have recently added solar panels to my home, $12,000 for 18 panels, a 3Kw system (sharp electric panels)."

how did you get started with buying solar panels and determining what you needed and where to get them from. I live in Oklahoma and am wanting to buy solar panels but dont have a clue where to start? can any help

connectung to the battery

"Here's the potential problem that I see - at least for my 2005 Prius, the circuit to the cigarette lighter is open when the ignition is off - in other words, I don't think there would be any charge going through because it is disconnected from the battery." (a quote from Glenn)

Yes; So one needs to connect directly to the 12V battery using a diod (against accidental battery discharging) and a protective element (a fuse or resistor).

This is useful for any car to keep the battery charged when one is away for more than 2 weeks; a small solar panel can do the job.

For driving on solar energy we need a plug-in hybrid.

This would only add charge to the 12v starter battery, not the NM-hydrides.