+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smart Car

Hybrid View

Smart Car

Ann Job should be writing on a car found in Canada and Europe called the "Smart Car". The car is produced in conjunction with Mercedes Benz and has been around for several years. The big question is Why not in the USA. Zap motors has 200 ready to be sold in the USA and is just waiting for Government approval. I have seen and driven one here in the States and I would buy one maybe two tomorrow if they were a vailable here. Well built and safe. Yes they are small but comfortable. My fried has one and drove from Quebec to Key West, Key West to Melborne with several side trips. On arrival in Melborne she reached $100 in fuel costs. The thing got 81 miles per gallon of Diesal. This needs to be investagated as to what is the holdup on selling these cars in America. Jim Edwards

The car is produced in conjunction with Mercedes Benz and has been around for several years. The MB STAR c4 system, when it made its debut, was much more capable because it was PC-based (IBM T30 laptop), but it was also very versatile because it incorporated a HHT emulation mode (for backward compatibility) along with a \"multiplexer\" intermediate unit between the PC and the car, which allowed the connection of a variety of different diagnostic connection cables, depending on which diagnostic system the car in question happened to use. For the oldest cars (i.e. the C126, early R129 SL models, early W124s and W140s, etc.) a \"four-pin\" diagnostic cable was provided. For second-generation cars, such as the E500E, 400E/E420, middle and later R129s, middle and later W140s, the familiar \"38-pin\" plug is provided. There are also OBD-2 interface cables for model year 1996 and later cars, as well as a 14-pin cable for European diagnostic systems. All of these cables allow the combination of the MB STAR with the in-line multiplexer unit to fully interface with any particular car\'s computers.