+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

What's the actual mpg for all hybrids?

I should have mentioned that I'm driving a 2004 HCH.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

'"Your mileage may vary," but the point is that going faster really pulls those numbers down.'

Yes, but it's economically idiotic to go slower. With Chuck's numbers and Ashley's commute, she would save 5 gallons of gas a week by driving 60mph instead of 80mph. She would aslo spend almost 4 more hours driving every week. At 3 dollars a gallon for gas, that's 15 bucks for almost 4 hours of your time. You have to make considerably less than minimum wage for it to be worth driving slower. Personally, my time is worth more than 4 dollars an hour. I'll wait until gas is about 10 bucks a gallon before slowing down.

Jetta TDI wagon (1.9L, 100 hp/177 lb-ft direct-injection diesel, 5 speed manual gearbox): at 62 mph (100 km/h) on my daily 104 km each way commute, which includes about 15 km of stop-and-go and city traffic at the city end: about 48 mpg, consistently. Range at this mpg is about 800 miles per tank with reserve.

Passat TDI sedan (2.0L, 134 hp/247 lb-ft, direct-injection diesel, 5-speed automatic): about 40 mpg under the same conditions (larger car, automatic transmission, bigger engine).

No special driving techniques other than smooth starts & stops, max. 105 km/h (except short bursts higher to pass), no racing from red light to red light in the city.

"Yes, but it's economically idiotic to go slower. With Chuck's numbers and Ashley's commute, she would save 5 gallons of gas a week by driving 60mph instead of 80mph. She would aslo spend almost 4 more hours driving every week. "

How long is the commute? Mine is 65 miles each way. I used to do the drive at 75 mph (120 km/h). I slowed down to 62 mph (100 km/h). It only added 5 minutes each way to my commute. I can afford to spend an extra 10 minutes a day/50 minutes a week commuting; it's not wasted time I do a lot of my work thinking & planning in the car where it's quiet (I rarely listen to the radio except to pick up the news once, and to listen to the traffic report to plan my route in/out of the city).

Rarely does a 20 mph increase in cruise speed equate to a 20 mph increase in *average* speed. In any commute, there will be stops, perhaps traffic, perhaps someone hogging the fast lane at 55 mph. All those things conspire to reduce average speed. In fact it's often easier to maintain a consistent average speed at a lower speed than at a higher speed. When I drive 100 km/h, I rarely have to slow down from that speed but when I drive 120, there are many obstacles that force me to slow down.

Plus, on my 65 mile drive, there's only about 30 miles of freeway where traffic levels permit unrestricted 75+ mph driving (assuming the cops aren't patrolling).

Driving fast does not save nearly as much time as people realize. Even on a long 800 km trip once (that I do every year to pick up the kids at summer camp), one year I drove "80 mph", and the other year, 62 mph. The time difference was only approximately 1/2 hour on an 8-8.5 hour drive. You really have to do the calculations based on *average* speed, not peak cruising speed.

Plus there's a huge advantage of driving slower: the stress level goes way down.

Another point, would you actually be working in the time saved by going faster, and hence earning?

I doubt it. On the other hand driving faster you are taking money directly out of your pocket. In addition that money is *after tax* income; for every extra $1 you spend, you will have to earn $1.25-$2.00 depending on your tax bracket.

Unless you save enough hours, and earn income in those hours, to exceed the fuel savings, there's no way you're saving anything by going faster.

1. buy any used vehicle that you like. Pick a big one that goes vroom and has big ol wheels on it. S.U.V.s are good, so are old pick up trucks.
    2. find an old bakery van or a ups truck. just about any aluminum delivery truck has a good diesel motor in it. buy it for 1000-2000
    3. take the motor out and put it in front of a new venture 4500 transmission. that'll run you 5 grand.
    cut the motor mounts out and put them in your vehicle.
    4 if you chose a honda civic or a mini truck unibody import vehicle youre a dumbass.
    5 put in the diesel. modify as nessecary the oil pan, suspension, fuel tank, exhaust system, guages, steering, radiator, muffler bearings, etc

there. Now spend another 2000 to 4000 with gayle banks stuff.

now you have a 300-400 hp 400-600ft lb beast when you press a button, or a tame, quiet, reliable, everlasting efficient powerplant that achieves 35 mpg when you need it to.
    Gears. make sure you have really tall gears in the differentials because diesels are torque rich and h.p. poor.

OR... stop voting for republicans.

where are all of the Honda Insight owners? what kind of real MPG do you get?

I have a 2001 honda insight (5 speed). A recent drive from San Diego to Reno via the backway (hwy 395) resulted in 65 mpg to Reno (uphill) and 69 mpg home (downhill). I drive about 75 mph traffic permitting. In everyday driving around town (half streets, half highway) I get about 55 mpg. I hope this helps.

2006 AWD Hybrid escape - 800 miles. Takes about 2 miles to warm up prior to shutoff at stops. Short trips (0-2 miles) are worst case which I get about 22-24 MPG. Freeway with hills I get 28-30 MPG. Overall, I have averaged about 26 MPG on the last two fill-ups.