+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

What's the actual mpg for all hybrids?

FEH: Range is 28 - 32 mpg per tank, with an average of 30 mpg.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Who says prius is getting 30 MPG? They must be running on a flat tire cause I'm going 52-55 MPG per tank. Even got up to 60 MPG on a few trips. Prius is just awesome.

HCH CVT - I'm getting 52 MPG after 2 months of owning the car. No stunt driving, just going the speed limit. Best tank was 57.9 MPG.

i have had my honda for one week. right after i got it i did a long road trip, mostly two lane roads, about 250 miles. i did some traveling around when i got to my location.

when i filled the first tank, i got 51.7 MPG. i thought that was pretty darn good. however, i have an 80 mile round trip commute, 4 lane highway with the speed limit of 65. driving just above 60, and taking advantage of slight downhills when i can, i am seeing almost 55 MPG. i was told it would take around 5000 miles before the mileage increases. with what i have been getting already, i am very pleased.

I have a quick question. Is everyone reporting here driving the 05 model? I am looking at an 04 HCH, and I am curious to know if there is any significant difference in each year model. I would hate to purchase the 04 and then find out that the 05 gets 10 more mpg.

I have a traffic free interstate commute of 900 miles per week. So I feel like any increase over my current 20 mpg in my gas car will be worth the cost.

Ashley, the 2004/2004/2005 HCHs are the same car as far as performance goes. Rumor has it the 2006 HCH will get 5% better mileage.

See my blog at http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/hybrid-commuter for yesterday's mileage report on my 2003 HCH.

The year of the HCH (prior to the new 2006) will not make a difference.

If you have a traffic-free 900-mile per week interstate commute then your mileage will depend almost entirely on how fast you drive. But it will be very predictable. My guesstimates for your commute would be, based on your speed:

60 MPH: 55 MPG
    65 MPH: 52 MPG
    70 MPH: 48 MPG
    75 MPH: 44 MPG
    80 MPH: 42 MPG

Those are ballpark figures based on my own experience, and from what I have read on this and other forums. As you can see, your speed will have a significant impact on your MPG (as it does with all vehicles).

Well I will tell you actual mpg for my Jetta Diesel.

to work and back every day
    @80+ MPH and some 10mins of slow interstate driving with the windows down I get 41-42 mpg.

@60 speed limit and windows up (ac in the afternoon) I get 48

it is a hilly 34 mile commute to work and back. Plus I do a lot of city driving, and tend to accelerate pretty quickly. So maybe go for a bigger nicer car that runs on diesel, instead of going for the hybrid and still contribiting to urban ozone production (caused at GAS pumps, not diesel) and produce less CO1, and hydrocarbons. Plus a diesel will last lots longer than a gasoline engine, not to mention batterys.

I have a 2005 Prius and drove from East coast to West coast and back over a 6 week period this past summer. Well over 9000 miles of travel and averaged 49.8 mpg. Western states were a killer on milage with posted highway speed limits of 75 mph. I noticed quite a difference with gas consumption setting the cruise control at 71 mph rather than going the posted 75. Now that I'm back home I'm averaging 55.0 mpg with a 60 mile daily round trip commute. My driving habits include driving at or slightly over the posted speed, slow acceleration and anticipating stops.

These MPG numbers concern me - I have a 2000 Corolla with standard trans. that gets 40 MPG at 70 MPH. Local in town driving brings it down to 35 MPG. If these figures are accurate, a new Corolla, that sells for about $5000 less then a new Prius is the more "money-saving" option. ($5000 buys about 1670 gal of gas, and represants about 66800 miles of driving!) Of course there's the environmental argument which is substantial - but in terms of overall gas mileage, are hybrids really what they're cracked up to be?