+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

the real Prius gas mileage

Glenn,

You are correct. My 05 Prius takes about 1-2 miles to warm up in the summer months on fully synthetic Mobil 1, or AMSOIL 5W-30, which Im running in Dearborn, MI now. With just over 10k miles logged, Im averaging between 54-57 MPG this week, which will climb a little as the temps increase. A few of weeks ago, it cost me $13 to fill up after 263 mixed miles, while two truck owners (At the pumps in front of me) were bitching to each other about the cost of filling their tanks. They both looked at me with a frown and made the comment, I dont even want to look at his pump! If any hybrid owners want to complain about their mileage not matching EPA estimates, then offer to pick up the truck or SUV owners tab, the next time one fills up. I for one, am elated someone else is paying for Michigan roads and if more people out there want to drain their bank accounts to pave my journeys, then Im all for it. Happy motoring!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I cannot get my '06 to get over about 41 mpg. I live up a fairly steep grade, but that means that half of the time I'm going downhill by the same amount. Are there any tips to getting better mileage going uphill? I also never seem to get much better than that even on flat terrain...I've adjusted the tire pressure - any ideas? I cannot seem to drive on battery or electric alone, because as soon as I even slightly touch the gas pedal the gas motor starts up. Help!

I've had my 2006 Prius for a little over 3 months. I gave myself one week to get used to driving it and then reset the computer. I have averaged 45.3 mpg since that time. I do pay close attention to the 5 minute consumption screen to adjust my driving for traffic and topography. I have a good mix of city and highway driving. I do get better mileage on the highway. I have also seen better mileage with warmer temps. I have to admit that I had to re-learn my driving habits to maximize the mileage. My last car was a 2003 Honda Accord v6. If I tried to accelerate in the Prius like the Accord, I'd never get the mpg. Try leaving your screen on the consumption monitor at all times. Learn the nuances of the car in different driving conditions. But remember to keep your eyes on the road, not the monitor.

I have two hybrids, Civic 06 (~9200 miles) and Prius 05 (~5400miles). I like to drive the civic much better.

I drove the civic from North carolina to texas and back total 3800 miles. it cost me $150 for the trip. average gas price $2.85/gal

I always get 55-60 MPG for both, the civic is 1-2 miles more than the prius.

I drive with my finger on the cruise control more than the foot gas pedal. I try to maintain 1-2 miles aboe the speed limits. people pass me by all the time, but I don't really care.

The toyota prius won the PR war, but I don't think much about Toyota, I believe they are over rated.
    I recommend everyone to buy the civic hybrid

John, the Toyota Prius wins the trade-in value war too. My coworker paid $20,850 for a used 04 Prius, he sold it eleven months later for $20,500 with 24k miles on it. He purchased a loaded 06 Prius as a replacement. Also, if your Prius only has 5400 miles on it, then it really isnt fully broken in yet. Im seeing 56.4 MPG this tank (370 miles) in my 05 Prius with just under 11k logged.

John,

I am going to purchase a new car in the next few months and was thinking about the Civic Hybrid. Since you own an 06 and drove to Texas, what do you think about the air conditioning? I live in hot Arizona and it is very important that it has a strong ac. I drove a regular 91 Honda civic and the air conditioning was not the greatest, but I still prefer Honda over Toyota, since I've owned both. Also another concern I've heard about the hybrids is that the batteries don't last as long or do as well in hot weather. Does anyone know if that is true?

Well, I live in Central Canada and its gets cold here (sometimes -50F or colder) and the batteries issue is just a myth. My Civic Hybrid and other Priuses around these parts just behave as designed- as any Honda and Toyota should - which is perfect considering every vehicle gets hit when the weather is this cold.

Here's a site that has a large number of real-world mileage points on the Toyota Prius.

http://www.gasaroo.com

The Prius is on the front page.

Jen: Just have faith and get the 06' Civic hybrid, make sure the tax rebate (~$2100) still available; that is, Honda has not sold 60,000 unit of hybrid cars quota (Accord, Insight, and Civic combination for this year). Do not get navigation system, just plain civic hybrid. you will be glad that you drive one. I don't have any AC problem, once I get comfortable on a hot day, I turn the AC to low.
    as msanto in canada attests, no ac problem.

I wish all the drivers in America to drive a hybrid now, that will instantly cut down the energy consumption in half. that will drive the demand down, so that the people sell us oil not hold us hostage, that is the only way to fight back to these outlaw regimes, they hate us but want our money. our government has no immediate solution, we have to do it ourself. It is also good for the envirement ( I am a self confessed a green republican)

As far as the resale value of the 06' civic hybrid, anyone trade in the 06 yet? tell me

I've had an 06 Civic Hybrid since January, and constantly carpool with a colleague who has a Prius. There are strong and weak points about both cars... when comparing the two, I eventually went with the Civic. The Prius may be a bit more hi-tech and innovative on paper, but in the end, the Civic was a much better fit for me. Everyone's size and shape are different, but I can't stand the hard plastic arm rests on the Prius that constantly hit my knee (oppsed to the Civic, where my knee hits nothing because the arm rest slant up slightly, and there's plenty of room). The Prius can go in all-electric mode more than the Civic can (the 06 Civic can go in all electric mode, but not from a stop like the Prius -- only while coasting or already moving). I have nothing at all against the Prius, and think it's a great car, but for me, the Civic is a much more comfortable, better designed cabin, more fun to drive, and a lot nicer looking (subjective of course). The MPG isn't all that different either. The Prius seems to be a bit more in a narrow range with the MPG, whereas the Civic can vary widely depending on the type of driving. For instance, if you do a lot of slow street driving with AC on, the Civic will get worse gas mileage than the Prius. But when all is said and done, the difference for most people in the end is minimal. My average fuel economy for my HCH over the last 1/2 year is 48mpg (mix of all types of driving, AC on only when driving streets not freeways when it's hot). However the last two weeks I had to do a lot of long freeway drives (OC to LA multiple times, OC to San Diego), and for the last two tanks, when I filled up at the gas station, it was 57.1 and 58.8mpg (since it was all freeway driving, I tried to stay in the 65 range -- from 60 to 69). That's not "usual" driving (it's usually more a mix) but as I said, my average MPG from when I got the car is in the 47-48 range on the 06 HCH. On my friend's Prius, he gets only about 2-3 mpg more, and for me the HCH is much more comfortable.

When both cars came out a few years ago, I thought "boy, did Honda drop the ball on this one.. the Prius is so much better designed." Well in the end, I chose the Honda (surprising myself). First of all the 06 HCH is much better than the earlier ones, but it's not just about design on paper and numbers, it's mix of everything, and for me I found the Honda HCH to be exactly what I wanted. Back in Dec/Jan, HCHs were hard to find, but I could buy Priuses at list price (had a few dealers call me, and I told them I decided against the Prius). Again, the Prius is a fine car and may be what some people want (for instance, if you need to tote long things like a string bass or something you'll need the Prius because of the hatchback) but I found the HCH to be much more comfortable, almost as good on gas, and fun to drive.