+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

the real Prius gas mileage

Read #5 again from Yudah above. ... I was reading up on the Pulse and Glide techniques, and it really does make a difference. It's really about learning to drive your car differently.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I've just reached 10K miles on my 05 Prius. I've averaged 52 MPG. I don't know city vs. highway, though I did get about 40 MPG on a 1200 mile trip going 80 with full A/C. Most of my miles are my daily 80 mile round-trip commute on stop-and-go LA freeways, which is pretty ideal for the hybrid. I drive pretty normally, not trying to be a hypermiler, but I've always driven fairly conservatively. Ironically, I expect my MPG to decrease now that I'm driving solo in the carpool lanes!

i get like 48 with the prius. i drive highways a lot in LA. I tend to start a little quicker then coast at my desired speed in the city. on the highway i usually set the cruise for 75. But i have driven from san fran avg speed of 95 and i got 37 or so

Yeap...when I drive my Prius...my psychology is so different because its all about how much MPG I get. I don't care about my speed or time it takes. I'm doing probably some 52+ mpg over 3000 miles. Even did 60.8 one day to work over a 46 mile stretch. I don't know about getting 60 MPG in town as rated by EPA but 51 on highway is definitely doable and 55 average is also doable. I don't know what the fuss is all about the prius not getting the EPA ratings cause if you drive at 55 MPG on the highway and use the Pulse and Glide method in city, I belive you can achieve those EPA ratings.... Now if only I could plug in my hyrid so that I can charge the battery while I am at work that would definitely increase my MPG.

I am thinking about buying a Prius. Although I am a nut, I drive ROUNDTRIP 136 miles for work. Approximately 80 miles of this is at or near 70 miles per hour and the remainder averaging 50 miles per hour. What gas mileage can I expect with the Prius?

Bob,

I think you can expect somewhere between 45 and 49 MPG. I've driven at 65MPH and still get about 51 MPG. When I drove on highway 5 in CA which has a speed limit of 70 but everyone goes at least 80+, I got an average of 44 MPG. Bottom line is that your MPG will still be pretty good but it also depends on acceleration and not only top speed.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Prius. One Toyota dealership is selling them $5000 over sticker! Another dealership is selling them at MSRP and no dealer fee, but there's a 6-8 week wait. Will it be worth the wait? All in all, would you recommend a Prius? Looked at the Honda Civic Hybrid also, but it's just like driving a Civic!

I would definately wait. For the difference of $5000 you would have to drive a lot of miles to make up that difference. We ordered our 2005 Prius in July 2004 and were told that we would have a 5-6 MONTH wait. It was actually delivered in November.

We live near Buffalo, NY and are currently getting a solid 55 MPG combined mileage. We did see that in the colder months our MPG was down to about 45 since the gas engine was running more to get heat to the heating system.

I've had an '04 Prius for nearly 2 years now in Colorado. My general average is 50 mpg in the summer and 45 mpg in the winter, though at times I do better. Of course, that's going by the dashboard's version of mpg. I tried to calculate the actual mpg, and though it varied each time from what the dashboard told me, on average they were fairly close.

Does anyone else have opinions about the Prius' accuracy in its dashboard mpg?

Dang...people are getting srewd on the prius paying $5000 above sticker. That to me is just unacceptable. I love the car but I wouldn't pay $5000 over sticker to get it. That's like getting ripped off knowingly. I looked around when I got my prius last month and paid $500 under sticker price. I know I got a good deal but still feel like I could have done better...