+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

We own a 2006 Highlander

We own a 2006 Highlander Hybrid. Just a few weeks ago the entire ABS system failed - defective ABS accuator which is the electronic equipment for ABS system. Was driving 50+/- mph when all the gauge lights and alarms came on. Upon braking the pedal went completely soft and I had to pump the brakes 3-5 times to get the vehicle to slow enough to turn into a parking lot. We spent 1-2 weeks trying to get Toyota to pay for the part replacement since it is a part generally accepted to last the life of the car (ours 4 years, 54,000+/- miles) Finally got Toyota to agree to pay for half, still waiting for check. Reported the failure to National Highway Transportation Safety Administration to try and get a recall on this part. Not sure if this is the same reason other Highlander owners have been experiencing problems but symptoms leading up to part failure sound very similar. My suggestion is for EVERYONE to file a report with the NHTSA. You can go online and submit a claim in 10 minutes (nhtsa.gov then click on "report vehicle or child seat defect" in blue box in upper right corner). My husband and I spoke to Toyota costumer service 4 times total and were told "there is no defect" for this particular part and that the service bulletin issued by Toyota for the ABS accuator symptoms only aids dealers in correcting the problem but does not imply there is a defect. We found out from an independent Toytoa service provider that the recommended service for the accuator only resolves the symptoms temporarily with replacement of the accuator eventually required. Please, even if you no longer own your Highlander, please file a complaint. Based on our experience and the efforts we made to contact someone of authority at Toyota corporation we've discovered Toyota sets every possible road block to prevent the vehicle owner from reaching the corporate executives. It was only through our Toyota dealership owner that we were "told" to expect a refund for half of our costs. Despite asking customer service and numerous representatives at the Toyota dealership we were repeatedly told we could not be given contact information for the area representatives and their management who ultimately have the authority to resolve our problem. Most people don't have the time, or resolve, I have to make a case out of an auto repair. By filing a complaint, hopefully a recall will occur so others won't have to!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I just leased a new 2010

I just leased a new 2010 Lexus RX450 hybrid on 7/11/10, (and a Prius on the same day). I love the car (RX) so far, the hybrid drivetrain is amazing, seamless, and all of the components are in great synergy with each other. The high-frequency noise that many of the HiHy (highlander hybrid) drivers are experiencing are the regenerative brakes in action. The brakes work as generators storing kinetic energy gained from wheels while braking until around 7MPH where the regular carbon brakes take effect to bring the car to a complete stop. The high-frequency noise is caused by the brakes recapturing the kinetic energy from the wheels and transferring the energy into the battery, which is how your battery magically increases in power after breaking to stop at a red light. This is what essentially allows you to ghost around parking lots and creep around stop and go traffic using only electricity at lower speeds and moderate throttle pressure, and is also what allows you to blast your A/C (thanks to an electric A/C pump for hybrids) and have the car running without operating the combustion engine in traffic and at stop lights without the need to plug your car in at night.

The high-frequency noise is normal, and you will observe it when you see other hybrids driving around. The high-frequency noise is also made when driving in EV mode at 25MPH (max speed for EV mode) speed, thus being heavily demanding on the electric motor. You may also hear this when flooring the car, as the electric motor assists he gasoline motor in the boost or "power" mode.

I also find the brakes to be unreliable, especially when hitting big bumps/potholes in the road while braking. I have come close to rear ending the driver in front of me due to the brakes. Now that I know how they work, I am well prepared to jam the brakes incase I hit a pothole as I am slowing down which ultimately makes the brakes very moody and spongy. I do not experience this in my 2010 Prius, however the RX is a much much heavier car. It can be a bit bothersome, but if you keep good distance, like a good hybrid driver should, there shouldn't be any problems. Coast until a stop as often as possible and DO NOT TAILGATE! (its inefficient anyway!)

If you are going to pay a premium for a hybrid car, you might as well utilize all of its capabilities and squeeze every damn mile you can get out of each gallon/tank/barrel and BP oil spill of gasoline that you possibly can.

Hybrid brakes make that high

Hybrid brakes make that high pitched/ high frequency noise because of the regenerative brakes... Thats why your battery level increases while braking before a red light, and that is what makes the hybrid a hybrid that doesn't require plugging in at night. I have a 2010 Lexus RX450h and a 2010 Toyota Prius, both of the cars make the noise while braking and it is 100% normal for hybrids. This is not grinding, it is regenerative braking. Get with the program people!

Hello from cailfornia,I

Hello from cailfornia,I don't have a brake problem a lot of us highlander hybrid owners have a hybrid electrical inverter problem,this is where the whole electric hybrid shuts down even when you are going 70 mph ,i almost got killed the other day on highway trying to steer my 2006 hh over to the side with no power,there is a blog search toyota hh inverta defects, and i have the name of the ores and chief operating officer of toyota motor sales u.s.a.,his name is james lentz and the his office is in torrance calif,just an hour away from me,o by the way toyota gave me an estimate to repair my vechicle ,14,000 dollars and i just have1000 mils over warranty,nice guys these toyota people,well there are a bunch of us that are talking class action with the lawyer who won class action against toyota with the pedal acceleration class action that killed a family of 8 in san diego ,i think all of use should hold toyota responsible,if u would like to contact me further my email is .P.S. googlesearch james lentz at press release toyota u.s.a.and you will get all the names of the executives at toyota u.s.a. my personal e mailmyraferrante@gmail.com,no pranks please,good luck

sorry for the

sorry for the misspelling,james lentz is president and chief opertating officer and my e-mail is myraferrante@gmail.com

Hi. I am thinking of buying

Hi. I am thinking of buying the 2011 HH. Should I buy it? Thanks.

We just crashed our HH 07 a

We just crashed our HH 07 a couple of weeks ago at highway 80 close by Sacramento because the brake simply did not work. When the highway traffic stopped all of a sudden, our HH brake just could not slow down the vehicle at all. I should have read your post before I bought this car.

Any class law suit against Toyota on HH since I bet the brake system is in most part the same as prius?

I have had three toyota

I have had three toyota products. I loved my Lexus ES300 but the brakes were nearly worthless in ice and snow. I recently was test driving a Camry hybrid and took it out onto some snow covered roads. They were used vehicles and I found the one 2007 had the same problem as my Lexus. I then went to a different dealer (because the salesman pooh-poohed the obvious problem) and tried a 2008 Camry Hybrid. It worked great - just like it is suppose to. Bought a 2008 from a private party after trying it on the snowy roads but now I'm wondering if I'm going to have problems with the brakes in the near future. It has 74,000+ miles on it and the party took very good care of it and had no compliants or problems. Should I be looking at an extended warranty?

I have an '06 Highlander

I have an '06 Highlander Hybrid which I love! I have not noticed any problems with braking. Maybe once I had to hit them really hard, but they held.
    What just happened to me is I got out of my car and looked back to see the rear bumper hanging off on the driver side! It's been raining here but I have not driven through any high puddles. There is absolutely no damage to the bumper so I don't know what happened. It was fine when I got into the car after work and after the grocery store.
    I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I am stopping at Toyota on my way to work in the morning; my neighbor helped me push it in to hold a bit.

I have an '06 Highlander

I have an '06 Highlander Hybrid which I love! I have not noticed any problems with braking. Maybe once I had to hit them really hard, but they held.
    What just happened to me is I got out of my car and looked back to see the rear bumper hanging off on the driver side! It's been raining here but I have not driven through any high puddles. There is absolutely no damage to the bumper so I don't know what happened. It was fine when I got into the car after work and after the grocery store.
    I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I am stopping at Toyota on my way to work in the morning; my neighbor helped me push it in to hold a bit.