+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Toyota Highlander Hybrid Brakes

We just purchased a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. My husband seem to think there is a problem with the brakes because every time you step on them they grind. We brought it in for service and we were told that all hybrid make that noise and it is normal. I would like to know if anyone is experiencing this with their brakes, in particular those who own a Toyota Highlander Hybrid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I was wondering if anybody has experienced similar high pitch braking noise on the Prius? I don't know about highlander although I've heard of this on the highlander before but I'm experiencing something kind of similar on the Prius. Its a very high pitch noise that happens during brake and sometimes it appears to happen when I first accerlate in the morning.

Hello - We have just over 5000 miles including the first 5000 mile service, on the Toy High Hy and experience the brakes as VERY sensitive but we don't have any noise!

Has anyone else had a problem with the brakes not stopping the car? We only have a few hundred miles on ours. My wife says she noticed that she tended to get too close to other cars and had to apply heavy pressure to stop the car. She didn't think much of it until she could not stop the car and rear ended someone on Saturday. Thinking back on the few times I drove it, I did notice inconsistent brake effort when the brakes were applied lightly.

Hi Ted,

I have owned a very same car and experienced the exact same problem. I came close to 1 inch of hitting the person driectly in front of me !
    It seems to me that there is a servere braking problem with the Hybrids. The question is, what is Toyota doing about a silent diaster waiting to happen ? This braking problem in the Hybrids deserves immediate attention.

PS, I just bought a new 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid in 09/2005 and the braking problem is getting worse.

As a 2005 Prius owner I know the hybrid braking system is a combination of electric and conventional hydraulic braking action. Light braking uses the electric motor as a generator to slow the car until it is slowed to around 5 mph, it then transfers over to the hydraulic system and there is a slight "coasting" effect as this happens. As an engineer I find it is nothing that bothers me now that I understand it and expect it in light braking situations, although I was caught off guard the first few times it happened.
    In situations where the brakes are applied harder the hydraulic system is called to suppliment the electric braking immediately and the coasting effect is not as noticable as you reach the last few feet of your stop.
    It is a new type of car and has new responses, and overall I find it quite advanced and outstanding.
    I drive hard (turnpike) and each tank of gas ends up averaging 42+ mpg.

I've had my 06 Highlander Hybrid for about a month and I am noticing an increased incidence of this braking problem. It's very clear from the dash power gauge that the regenerative braking mode suddenly stops adding braking force (gauge snaps up to zero), which puts me back into "normal" disk brake mode. Of course normal disk brakes require a lot more pedal pressure to get stopped.

Not good. Approaching dangerous. I'll see what the dealer says.

Elliott Benson, a Sacramento based marketing research firm, is currently conducting interviews with Northern California residents who own hybrid vehicles. Specifically looking for those who own Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Ford Escape, Toyota Highlander or Lexus 400h Hybrid vehicles. Call us at 916.325.1670

Hi, I had a Toyota Highlander 2002, I had a big problem with the hydraulic brake too, a week ago I feel have no brake at all, I was complete brake check late year and change the rear brake dish too, I haven't drive that SUV much and two day ago when I braking the steering have very stronge viabration like it pumping left and right.
    Today I went to shop change all four brake and complete cleaning, but the problem still there. I think there had very serious defect of the braking system!

WE HAVE THE HIGHLANDER, NOT THE HYBRID BUT HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING THE SAME CONDITIONS REPORTED HERE, AS WELL AS AS THE BRAKES FREEZING UP WHEN WET. THE DOT DOES NOT REPORT A RECALL FOR THESE CONDITIONS, SO THEY MAY BE ISOLATED INCIDENTS, BUT SHOULD BE REPORTED TO TOYOTA. THE LOCAL DEALER IS NO HELP. SIGNED -- THE CHIPS