+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 80 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

CA DMV Clean Air Stickers SUCK!

I received my stickers a couple of days ago. This is a good thing and I am finally calming down. Other than the one buyer who reported having his application returned for insufficient information, I believe I hold the record now for time from application to receipt. The point for providing this info to you is that: 1. It can take time for the DMV to process but, 2. You may have to get involved in that process in order to bring it to satisfactory conclusion.

Hence
    2/19/06 – purchased car
    2/21/06 – mailed app
    3/13/06 – DMV processed check
    3/17/06 – received plates
    4/05 – 4/10 – various attempts to contact DMV for information and actually speaking with DMV employees.
    4/06 – Faxed DMV copy of cancelled check (they had no record of my remittance).
    4/07 – Faxed second copy of cancelled check (provided more info so that person pulling the fax could find the person with who I spoke).
    4/10 – Finally spoke with individual from the Special Processing Unit (SPU) (they call you, you can’t call them, so give them a number where you CAN be reached).
    4/19 – Received stickers (563xx).

The number provided earlier in this thread is the Field Office (don’t ask why they call it that, I do not know) number. They do not issue the stickers. They can and will contact the people in SPU, who issue the stickers.
    Observations:
    With 20,000 stickers remaining to issue, probably best to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait 6 weeks before attempting contact otherwise.
    The people who are processing this are most likely people who make a lot less money than most of use hybrid car owners. You NEED their cooperation. If like me, you are having a difficult time remaining calm, do what I did have someone else make the calls for you.
    I’m becoming familiar with an acronym used frequently by hybrid owners – YMMV (your mileage may vary). In this particular process, applying for the HOV exemption stickers, I would submit that the following is appropriate – YRMV (your results may vary).

And to the originator of this thread – my ugly yellow ducklings turned into the most beautiful swans, as they stuck to my Pri’s bumpers. Good luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Finally got my stickers....since feb.....57306

Arrrggh! Got my app back for a second time. Apparently, the app didn't make it before the registration was submitted. Now they put a note for to wait till I receive the plates. Well, I'm going to send it in again for the third time without waiting and hopefully the third time will be the charm.

03/26/06 Bought Prius
    03/27/06 Sent In Form
    04/12/06 Received Form Back w/ Instructions
    04/13/06 Mailed back with fingers crossed
    04/22/06 Received Form Back w/ more Instructions
    04/24/06 Mailing back with fingers & toes crossed (thinking about dousing the envelope with Holy water)!

I too had my sticker application returned telling me to reapply when I have my plate number.....oh well, at least I know my application is not sitting in limbo somewhere.
    All you Civic Hybrid owners, what are your thoughts on buying the extended warranty on a new car. Although Hondas have a great reputation of lasting forever the Hybrid technology is still fairly new. Does anyone have any thoughts or advise to add?
    Thanks.

Figure 100% dealer markup, and I very strongly suspect the insurance company (yes, insurance company, such as Toyota Motors Insurance Services) issuing the policy pays out about half of what they collect (on average).

So if you pay full MSRP, you are better off taking your money to Vegas (on average). If you get a good discount, you have a 50-50 shot (on average) of seeing your money.

But if it makes you sleep better......

I think it is brilliant that you guys are all helping to save the planet, which nearly all of us (some still lost in the Bush!) know is in a critical state. I have just returned on a fact-finding mission to SE Asia where there has been some of the worst unseasonal weather since records began and the droughts are very bad killing off crops like No Tomorrow!

I just wanted to point out on this excellent site that Hybrid Cars, although fantastic and so much better than pur gas, do not Top the list of the least polluting cars. I myself drive a 100% electric vehicle which runs on wind power! I purchas my electricity from wind farms, mainly located in Wales, and that fuels my car; a REVA G-WIZ model. There are other vehicles which use zero gasoline also.

I am launching a Global magazine on the Environment & I welcome any input.

Thank you for your time.

Howard Carter, London

FYI… I have advice concerning when to apply to for the HOV stickers... “Do not apply before the registration paperwork goes in, even if you have the VIN.” There is a big misconception that DMV doesn't need the license#, but it is not true...

The HOV application goes through a special division of DMV and they need the VIN to look up the license# themselves (hence the reason for the misconception). However, the license# needs to be in their database in order for them to look it up.

What will result if this happens?

The DMV will return your application and check (uncashed) with a letter explaining why they couldn't process. Now, you will be forced to go to the local DMV in person to get the license number and resubmit.

In other words, you should wait one week after the registration paperwork is submitted before applying. It will save 1 month of grief.... trust me!

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=18613

Above link provides a good summary of tips on applying for the clean air stickers, in particular how to get the registration info to DMV quickly.

No Brian P, you do not hold the record for longest time. I applied for my stickers 1/19 and got notified in March that they needed $8 (they must have lost the check I sent in, it was never cashed) So I mailed another one IMMEDIATELY, driving out in my pajamas to mail the second check right away! I JUST got another letter (April 15!) telling me they are STILL waiting for my check--stupid of me not to fedex it and require a signature!!! I am SOOOO FRUSTRATED!!

Hi All,

For those of you that re-applied after you recieved your plate #...did you send a new application or did you send the old one with the updated plate info? Also, did you send it to the new processing unit or the regular address on the rejection letter?

I'm splitting hairs only because I re-sent my application over a week ago and they still have not cahsed my check...really stressed, bout my prius on 3/17/06 and still no sticker. I have the world record I think.

CZ