Sat March 25: Bought 2006 Civic Hybrid
    Mon March 27: Went to SF to get FasTrak transponder
    Tues March 28: Mailed application
    April 10: check cashed by DMV
    April 11: received stickers, serial number 556xx

Long version:
    Sat March 25: Bought 2006 Civic Hybrid
    Mon March 27: Went to SF to get FasTrak transponder
    Tues March 28: Mailed application for clean air stickers (left the lic # place in the form blank, but put a yellow sticky note next to it saying it was a new car).
    Wed March 29: Called dealer to ask if car had been registered yet. It had not; their policy was to wait 10 business days for check to clear, then it would go in the queue for the person who does that. I checked my account, found that the check had cleared on Mon 27th, and called dealer back, explained that time was of the essence and asked if I could fax a copy of the front and back of my cleared check so they could expedite the registration. After a few days of back and forth they agreed, I faxed the copies, and they registered the car electronically that day.
    April 7: stickers mailed (date on envelope)
    April 10: check cashed by DMV
    April 11: received stickers, serial number 556xx

Notes:
    -The car lic number must be in the system when DMV enters the VIN on your application. The dealer has to do that. (Though apparently not all DMV employees bother to enter the VIN and check when they see there is no lic number on the app). It doesn't matter if you haven't received the actual plates.
    -The envelope containing the stickers was stamped April 7 - if I had not immediately pushed the dealer to register the car right away (and electronically), my application would have been returned because my car wasn't registered. Check your purchase doc, item 1E in standard purchase contract is for electronic registration ($28), which most dealers add in there by default. Make sure they do that and don't use snailmail.
    -The date on the envelope shows that DMV did not wait for the check to clear before mailing my stickers. I guess they assume that everyone must have at least $8 in their account. ; )

Good luck to everyone, and thanks for the great info on this page!

nequeo

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

CA DMV Clean Air Stickers SUCK!

nequeo,

You are very lucky! I think the key to your story is that you followed up with the dealership to make sure they registered your car. I called in to get my plate numbers and was told it hadn't even been registered, almost two weeks later. I sent in my app again anyways and am hoping that the registration gets there before my app does.

Anyone out there reading this, get on your dealership to make sure they send in the registration promptly. Seems like thats the only thing that has worked to speed up the process.

Depends on your dealer. I purchased from Manhattan Beach Toyota in the LA area. After a week I started calling, and their response was a very consistent "We have 20 days to send the registration to DMV". They ended up taking nearly the entire 20 days, and are unwilling to check on the status of the registration.

Dealers dont seem to be consistent (comparing my experience vs others).

I had the following timeline:
    4/4 Purchase HCH in Bay Area
    4/6 Dealer issued plates
    4/7 Picked up fastrack/mailed DMV form
    4/15 DMV cashed check
    4/18 Received stickers - 564xx

A friend bought a Prius and had to wait for weeks for plates. The dealer experience seems inconsistent - which is unfortunate. I seemed to have lucked out with my purchase

RM

Okay, i suck. I finally got my stickers for my 2001 Prius and applied them to my car. BUT, i applied them wrong. I put two on the back bumper, instead of one on the front and one on the back. Side ones are correct. Oops. Also, I noticed that the thing basically falls apart if try to remove it.

Does it really matter!!?? You can't miss the damn things.

If fact, today i saw a Prius with only one sticker one the bumper - back right only. Will they get pulled over while going solo in the carpool lane? I feel like asking a traffic cop.

I just got rear-ended and my stickers are going to be toast when they replace the bumber. What should I do? Can I file for replacement stickers? Help please!

TF: If you look in the DMV application for clean air vehicle stickers you will see a section on the top line item next to "MODEL" which states the following: OLD STICKER NUMBER (if being replaced). I would venture to guess that you would have to fill the form out as you did before plus add this additional information. Hope this helps.

TF,

The application clearly has a spot to check for "New Stickers" or "Replacement". Just make sure you keep a record of the original number and then use that on the form. You'll have to send in another 8 bucks.

I just want to send a belated thank you to all for the info gathered from this discussion! I have had My hybrid honda civic since Jan. & it was like Christmas when my stickers arrived a little more then a month later. It does seem like the requirements are inconsistent because I did not have my license # when applying & did receive the stickers.
    Anyway I Love My new Hybrid it is a joy.

I saw a new Prius a few days ago (on 880 between Oakland and San Jose) with its stickers inside the windows! There was a sticker inside the rear window on the right side (this would be the right rear bumper sticker), and a sticker inside the left rear window (this would be the left-rear behind-the-wheel-well sticker). I didn't get to see the other two stickers in moving traffic. I wonder what a cop would say?