+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 80 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast

CA DMV Clean Air Stickers SUCK!

Would anyone care to share what they are paying for the 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid with NAV. I mean everything...out the door. I am trying desperately to get one, have a deposit down and am told waiting time of 2 months. Am afraid that I won't make the 75,000 sticker cut off. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

You know, the stickers ARE only for less than two years left. The law will NOT auto-rewnew, it will expire. It will only be extended if lawmakers decide to extend it (it will not renew automatically). The law expires the end of 2007 (Jan 1 2008 to be technical, but basically, it's only good through the end of this year and next year).

Yes the stickers are nice. Yes, I got mine. But I wouldn't pay through the nose for just two years. They will expire, then it'll be back to normal lanes (and that's if they don't get recinded beforehand). Remember, they can be recinded at any time if it's deemed the carpool lanes are too clogged.

What I expect though, is that they will last the 2 years, then not be renewed. If you're really into using the carpool lane, I suggest getting a natural gas civic. I say this as a new owner of a normal Civic Hybrid. I love the car. But while the stickers are a nice perk, they are just that -- an extra. Not something to pay through the nose for (I paid MSRP only, in Jan, though I didn't want Navi). If the stickers were long-term (as the natural gas one will be) it might be different, but for something that will run out the end of next year, don't go overboard

Someone at CARB told me a while back the purpose of the law was to encourage people to buy the latest, cutting-edge cars (vis-a-vis emissions and fuel savings). In 2 years, hybrids will be everyday cars, not cutting edge, and if a new law is passed, my guess (and that voiced by the CARB guy) would be that it would be aimed not at hybrids but at what is on the cutting-edge then. Right now hybrids are becoming mainstream (good). By summer you'll see hybrid Camrys flooding out (not for the carpool lane, but my point is that hybrids won't be anything special by the time the law is set to expire).

However don't let that distract you from the car. The 06 HCH is a great car (as is the Prius). I love my new 06 HCH.

I received my stickers yesterday after waiting 22 days. I'm a little unsure as to how to affix them over the nosemask (bra) on the front. I would take that off on occasion, though since I live in a sunny area, it's probably on a couple weeks of the year. I'm not sure how well a sticker would adhere to the nosemask. Do you think the CHP would pull me over if they didn't see the front sticker. The fact that the program has a 2008 end date pushing me in that direction.

I got a 2005 Civic Hybrid this weekend and sent my sticker application in today 2/13

Will I get stickers for sure? any predictions? how about timing?

Are they really cutting off at 50K?

How can you guys complain bout the way that they look when you are flying by all of the stop and go traffic?

JJ:

Bought my 06 HCH with nav for 23900 plus tax and license at Gilroy Honda. Waited exactly two months but got what I wanted and am very pleased with the car.

David, it looks like you'll be able to get your stickers: "Hybrid owners receive a breakCARPOOL ACCESS STICKERS STILL AVAILABLE FROM DMV - Anxious hybrid car owners wanting a green light to zip along solo in the carpool lane, relax. Those coveted yellow stickers are still available, and probably will be for several more months." Story in today's (February 13 2006) San Jose Mercury News at: http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...l/13859624.htm

Paul,
    When reading through the line. The reports said "When 50,000 have been mailed out, Caltrans is required to evaluate the impact those extra cars are having on traffic in the carpool lane. The milestone could be reached within a week or so.".

Does any one know what is the evaluation process, would DMV stop issuing stickers during the evaluation until the decision is made?

CC, two paragraphs later: "We're not ready to cut it off,'' Caltrans spokeswoman Lauren Wonder said Friday, adding that she has not witnessed diamond lanes jammed by hybrids." Not a problem.

Paul, thanks.
    I am worry cuz I am also waiting for my stickers. My check was cashed last Friday

i think david is right, cause i was reading the article, and it says they will issue the stickers eventhough it reach the 50,000 cap. I think they will start the evaluation when it reach the 50,000 cap, but they will still issue stickers. When caltrans finds out that it jamming the hov, they will stop issuing the stickers. So for now they will continue to issue the stickers... i think =) , cause i just sent my app. on feb. 1 =( hopefully i get em soon. lets cross our fingers