+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

CA DMV Clean Air Stickers SUCK!

Thanks to all for clarifying that I don't need to have the license plate # to apply for my HCH stickers. Today, when I called the DMV 800#, she told me emphatically that it would take 60-90 days for me to get my plates and there was no way I could get the stickers before I had the license plate numbers! Bureaucracy in action .. love it (NOT!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Here is a question: I was driving home today in my new HCH, waiting for my stickers, when a motorcycle cop pulled over another HCH that had their stickers on their car. We were on the on-ramp, and he was in the carpool lane of the ramp. Do these count as part of the HOV/Diamond lanes or not?

Why do the concious hybrid owners have to buy...and buy again every year...an exemption? Hmm, don't motorcycles get an exemption too? Only they don't have to pay for it, nor do they have to deface their asset. As far as the cops needing to easily ID a hybrid, I think they can do that by running the tags I paid for to keep my car on the road and on the PD radar.

THe Civic Hybrid is on a three month wait (I am told by the local dealer). Two things: First, any advice on how to get one sooner, and second, what are the chances that California is out of stickers come April? Thanks

Ron,
    I didn't have to wait at all for mine. I walked into Hardin Honda in Anaheim one day and drive away in my new HCH that night. The key is to contact multiple dealerships in the area and find out their "system" for getting out the new Civics. Some require a $500 deposit and a wait. Others, like Hardin, will sell it to the first person to get there. Also, there is no haggling on price. You have to be willing to pay what they mark it up to. Hope this helps.

I just found out a couple interesting things to share with anybody who doesn't already know:

1.) there are apprx 25,000 "stickers" available (according to the ARB this morning 1/13/2006)

2.) don't submit your application UNTIL you have your license plate number! The ARB said DMW ignores requests without the license plate.

3.) the sticker goes with the car so if you sell it, the new owner will have the HOV rights (hmmm, interesting ... might make your car a little more valuable if they don't issue anymore decals AND renew the issue in 2008) - who said used cars don't retain good resale value!

one last little nugget .. who cares about the color of the stickers ... i mean, they could be pink polka dotted for all I care ... anybody who's sat in L.A. traffic as much as I have would wear the sticker on my forehead to be able to get the HOV lane in rush hour =) LOL

~Dann

As I said before, I DO NOT have my license plate, but got my stickers over a month ago. So, you do not need a license plate.

I want to buy a new Pruis ONLY if I get the sticker. Is the 25,000 stickers that are left among the original 75,000 or is this a new bunch of 75,000 stickers? Also it may take 8 weeks to get a new Pruis. Should I buy panic and buy a used Pruis and get the sticker NOW and maybe transfer the sticker in the future to the new Pruis? Is anyone really sure that the sticker is or is not transferrable?

Valerie, the sticker isn't transferable. The remaining 25,000 stickers are part of the "original" 75,000. They're supposed to issue 50,000 (which is about where they are now) and then re-evaluate the impact the 50,000 hybrids are having on the carpool lanes (my opinion / observation: essentially none) and then decide whether to continuing the program and issuing the remaining 25,000.

A question for California Tax Attorneys or CPAs, or anyone who has researched it: Has the IRS clarified whether folks who purchase the Prius and title it in a single member LLC or Limited Partnership, for liability reasons, can we still qualify for the Prius '06 tax credit?

If not, if we take title in our individual name, has IRS clarified how long one must hold title, I've heard one year, before one can transfer title or sell to one's LLC or LP?

CA HOV Hybrid sticker form, asks only for personal name, but business. When the Prius is titled to a small business, can the small busienss apply for the HOV Sticker?

Lastly, I'd heard that CA extends the hybrid battery warranty by 50% to 150,000 miles -- what determines qualification--
    1. must car be purchased and registered in CA? or
    2. can car be purchased in CA, and then registered in an adjoining state, and still qualify for the extended warranty?
    --or is additional warranty based on where registered owner is a resident, not on where car is licensed?

Thanks!