+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Georgia considering HOV lane use for Hybrids

The current GA rules permit alternative fuel vehicles to travel in the High Occupancy Vehicle lanes with only one person in the vehicle. Considering adding Hybrids to the exemption. Hope they do it!
    I also like the idea of free parking meter use but doubt it here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I live in GA, too and would love to ride my Prius in the HOV lane. And it's a great ride and comforatable, too.

I read that VA does this already.

People would see us go by and think "I should start thinking about fuel economy and cleaner air.

Mostly I am interested in cleaner air, which Atlanta needs badly.

Gas Mileage needs to be on people's minds when they buy cars.

Perrsonally I would not use the HOV lanes here in the Atlanta area.

While I'm tooling along in the Right lane going 55-65MPH I see the Left lanes, HOV included going 75-85MPH or more.....I'd just be the source of an angry bottleneck.

If I were to use the HOV lanes it would mean giving up the hypermiler game.
    I'm not willing to do that.

To HOV or not to HOV for hybrids. Will congress ever decide??

go figure!

recall way back when HOV lanes were started? and motorcycles were allowed to be in those lanes because their miles per gallon per person was so high? car pooling was initially to reduce smog i thought. traffic was a secondary thought. you'd think hybrids would be an automatic approval.

see ya

According to a person in the EPD that I spoke with last year it is up to GDOT as to who has access to the HOV lanes. I'm not sure who we need to contact, though. Any suggestions?

"and motorcycles were allowed to be in those lanes because their miles per gallon per person was so high? "

I've heard the average mid size touring motorcycle gets around 40MPG.
    Many of us hybrid drivers including myself are doing WAY above that.

Just in case anyone is wondering what the Georgia DOT website states on the subject at hand, here is an excerpt from the Georgia DOT website (as recorded 05/03/2005):

Hybrid cars DO NOT classify as clean fuel vehicles under EPA standards because their engines use conventional gasoline as well as electricity and in so doing generate fuel vapor emissions. Therefore they are not allowed to access the HOV lanes unless there is more than one occupant in the vehicle.

Couldn't you just slap a hybrid badge on any Honda Civic and get away with this? I mean how many people know the slight differences?

The U.S. Senat just passed the long awaited Transportation Bill. (HR-3). This bill will allow the States drivers to ride in the HOV lane with an Hybrid car solo. The Ga General Assembly passed a bill earlier requesting Congress to pass this bill. All we need now is the Pres. signiture.