+ Reply to Thread

gasprice in germany is 9$ per gallon

But it is not a problem, cause we drive smart cars. I have 2 cars. A BMW with 340hp for fun,
    and a smart ( www.smart.de ) for every day use. The cargas consumtion is 60% less then a Lexus RX400 hybrid. OK we drive not like USA, cause here it is much faster, you know the german autobahn.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

And how much of that cost/gallon, is a tax - more/less replacing a state income tax?

Hi John, we pay 70% tax on gas. It dos not rreplacing any other tax. Driving a car is absolutly expensive. We pay tax for the car to. You never see a V8 engine here. To expensive.

3,8 l = 1 gal
    3,8 x 1,45 Euro = 5,51 Euro
    5,51 Euro = 7,61 $

And, at that price (which I know is nothing new), what percent of cars on the road in Germany are SUVs or vans? I guess very few.

An increasing number of vehicles here are SUVs, despite mindbogglingly high gas prices. People keep complaining about rising gas prices and at the same time buy ever more powerful, gas guzzling vehicles...

"An increasing number of vehicles here are SUVs, despite mindbogglingly high gas prices. People keep complaining about rising gas prices and at the same time buy ever more powerful, gas guzzling vehicles..."

That's odd, we have the same problem here. Every day, on my commute to or from work, someone in a V8 SUV passes me doing 140+ km/h. I drive at the speed limit (100 km/h) in my Passat (or my wife's Jetta) TDI. And these same people then complain that gas prices are too high.

There was even a news item the other day about a woman who delivers rural mail in an SUV, she was complaining that the Post Office was cheating her because they "only" paid her 44 cents per kilometer (my own employer pays 40 cents per kilometer).

Our TDIs cost no more than 6 cents per kilometer per fuel (Canadian numbers). No doubt her SUV was costing 15 cents per kilometer...go figure.

Hello,
    it is absolute stupid to use a SUV for the trip to work. After the Katrina desaster its absolutly neccessary to think about the gas consumption.
    Same is the heating oil.
    For mmy US friends.
    Please excuse my bad english.
    I am a mechanical engineer, selfemployed .
    House and office in the black forest.
    In the house a little powerstation. Needs heating oil. 1,7 l in a hour. Produce 5,5 kw per hour electrik energy and 13 kw per hour heat.
    I have 3 solar pannels on the roof for warm water and also 3 aircondition systems with the abbiltity for pump heat from the outside minus 15C to the inside. It need 3kW and produce 14,5 kW.
    My house with office need in year 2500 l heating oil and 1500 kWh extern elektrik. I have also the possibility to use natural oil, like salad oil. All is prepared.
    Former consumtion is 7500 l per year and 14500 kwh.
    This is the future.

Karl~ We are looking at moving to Germany in Feb and purchasing a Hybrid there. Are there any things we should know in particular? Are there repair shops? What about the special tires I hear they have, can you get them there?

Thanks
    ~Nicole

Hello Nicole, we have only 3 types of different hybrid cars in germany. The lexus, prius and a honda. The reason is, that the hybrid technology need to much fuel.
    We have a lot of diesel cars. A typical diesel motor have a much higher degree of evecttiveness than a otto-motor ( gasmotor ). ! Rudolf Diesel and Nikolaus Otto are both germans.
    A typical hybrid engine have the advantige in a city area, traffic jam or stop and go. Baut this part is only 10% of the normal drive. Normaly the car go in with constant speed. 80% to 90%. The diesel motor is much better caus he needs less fuel.
    The lexus RX400h needs more than 1 liter more fuel on 100km the a mercedes-benz M-Class.
    This is technical info.
    In germany you need no special tires. But we have different class of tires. I like sports-cars. My BMW Z3 M roadster have 321hp.limited on 250km/h.
    Need 9 l per 100km fuel.
    My other car is a renault alpine V6 turbo, limited on 280 km/h. need 11 l per 100km fuel.
    It is absolutly legal to go on the autobahn as fast as you want to drive. No speed limit. But it is not necessary to do it. The most german car drivers go with 130 km/h. We call this our selfspeedlimit. It is akcepted by every one. If on the road not so much traffic, go as fast as you want. But you need spezial tires.

Karl