+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Actual Mileage for Highlander Hybrid

I have numerous expectations: that my HH not be TEN miles UNDER the ESTIMATED mileage,
    that Toyota act RESPONIBLY and train their sales people not to reinforce the sticker mileage as an absolute, that if a Toyota corporate rep tells me they will be able to remedy the car problem following their request for me to submit 3 options to them, that the rep will follow through and NOT back out, I expect that when a Toyota service person tells me someting may be wrong with the car that they FIX it and not tell me to "break it in" and come back at 5,000 miles if it is still doing it. TI think that these expectations are not extreme, just normal consumer expectations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I have numerous expectations: that my HH not be TEN miles UNDER the ESTIMATED mileage,
    that Toyota act RESPONIBLY and train their sales people not to reinforce the sticker mileage as an absolute, that if a Toyota corporate rep tells me they will be able to remedy the car problem following their request for me to submit 3 options to them, that the rep will follow through and NOT back out, I expect that when a Toyota service person tells me someting may be wrong with the car that they FIX it and not tell me to "break it in" and come back at 5,000 miles if it is still doing it. These expectations are not extreme, just normal consumer expectations.

Sorry about the entry being placed in 3 times, did not mean to do that

KJN~

I live in So Cal too. I have had my Highlander Hybrid since the end of July. I am getting about 27 -28 average and I drive mainly freeway 62 miles to and from work. Try relaxing when you drive and try the pulse and coast technic. It actually helps with stress relief.

Good Luck!

I am not trying to be overly harsh about your expectations and I understand that you are disappointed. Again, the estimates are from the government, not Toyota.

Salesmen should not be emphasizing them, but that is more likely a salesman issue than a Toyota issue as salesmen from all dealers should know better than to do that. Let's face it, most salesmen embellish one thing or another to get a sale. That is why it is important for an individual to be knowledgable.

Chances are that there is nothing wrong with your car, so they can't fix it. To make a customer feel better, they say they think something "may be wrong" and check it out. They find out nothing is, so all they can say is wait for the break-in period. It would be nice if car salesmen knew how to drive to get maximum mileage, but most of the public doesn't either (since most people don't even keep track of their mileage).

I wouldn't say that your expectations were extreme, just unrealistic. I mean unrealistic in holding car manufacturers accountable for everything a salesman says and to expect something to be fixed with a vehicle when nothing is wrong.

Try searching for tips on how to drive for fuel economy or find others in your area to swap info is your best bet IMO. There is a message board that may be helpful at http://www.hihychat.com/ .

I can get 25 to 28 mpg every tank. I drove from vegas to mn this summer and got 30 average the first 850 miles.Then on the flat driving at 75 mph i got 26 mpg.Have never gotten less than 25 ish...joe

local higher than highway is only true for limited stops and mostly cruising, if you read how those test were done. if you are driving on those crowded local streets at 25mph and have to stop at every traffic lights, you won't get very good MPG. Get on some local throughfair with 40mph speed limits and synchronized traffic lights, you'll get much better MPG.

also, if you are make many short trips, with a long stop in between, you won't get very good MPG either, because engine is burning gas to warm up.

Thanks so much for all your sugestions, it is appreciated. I have been doing pulse and go and reading up on best ways to drive, I will evaluate and see what happens.
    I believe my expectations about the car and the company are justified and will continue to pursue a response.
    KJN

KJN-
    If you haven't figured it out yet, its TMCs mojo...sorry you got snagged

re KJN's disappointment -- I am having the same experience he is. Started getting 24 mpg, and now that the weather is colder just getting 20-22 mpg in mixed city/hiway driving with a light touch on the gas pedal. Also got the same response from the Toyota "rep", saying it should get better around 5K miles, but actually it is getting worse (now at 3K mi). Am considering seeking legal opinion re whether I have any options for recourse under the Kansas lemon law, esp. as I expressed dissatisfaction within 3 days of taking delivery on the car. Had hitherto been a satisfied Toyota customer for 25 yrs, but am very dis-satisfied with them now.