+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Actual Mileage for Highlander Hybrid

.I'm not so convinced on these cars anymore - ..I'm selling mine before there is a flood of them on the marke t - there's a lot of talk about HEVs not achieving...my other concern is what kind of driver I have turned into - its almost like the "perception" of driving a "high??-fuel economy car has made me drive like my grandmother!!!EEK! I'm gonna look into an E85-capable vehicle where I can enjoy power and pay the farmers for the corn to do it...not the folks creating these hype vehicles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Disappointed in CA is becoming more and more disappointed with Toyota and the HH. There are now 3,000 miles on the car and the mileage per gallon is worse than ever, averaging 21.1. When the HH was taken in for service the mechanics said, give it some time, the mileage will improve ( I can't imagine how time would help this), how would they explain 21.1mpg?
    I am serious about looking at my options and about taking some kind of legal action against Toyota, whether it will be arbitration or class action is unknown at this time.
    KJN

The reason they tell you to gigve it time is in the hope you will begin to drive like some pokey person on the freeway - and thats not safe. Either that or Toyotas stuff is so sloppy it need tens of thousands of miles to break in - or they have poor quality control....right?

Although I have been a bit disppointed at the gas mileage.

I have saved about 340$ in gas if I still had my 97 pathfinder, this since the middle of June.

Why would my HH get better mileage on the highway (better is still not good) 23.4 than on the surface streets 21.2. This goes against how Toyota markets the hybrid technology. Something is wrong with this car. I am feeling duped and because Toyota will not take my concern about the car seriously I will seek legal action.
    Disappointed in So. Cal.
    KJN

Hmmmm. If I'm reading all these posts correctly (hope I'm not) I might as well stick with my 94 Mitsubishi Montero 4 wheel drive and be happy! I work in the alternative energy field and use it for it's actual intended purpose of hauling heavy stuff over very difficult terrain and the odd business trip out of the area. I use mid-grade or regular and get 19 to 20 with the later and 22+ with the former. Not too bad for an 11 year old vehicle. Off road the economy is strictly one of "scale", as in how much work it has to do in what terrain. ;-)

Also, and just to add a little fuel to the fire (so to speak), my question of hybrid technology in general is this: considering the expensive battery, the dainty driving and all the electronic gizmos (which will never go wrong), why is it a superior technology to direct rail injection bio-Diesel and/or low sulphur Diesel? Two different friends report getting >70 MPG freeway driving at > 70 MPH in two French rental cars; one Citroen and one Renault. 50 MPG city and 65 combined driving, and one drove like a local (madman) through the Alps! They also reported no visible exhaust smoke, very low to 0 odor and very peppy performance all the way around.

So, why can't we get these cars in the US? Are they dangerous in crashes? No, they both have very high crash test ratings. I'm beginning to feel that the American auto industry has a stranglehold on the automotive economy, right along with the oil boys. What a pity. And Detroit produces such garbage!

Blame the American market for not warming to diesels sooner. Biodiesel is an excellent solution, but people just shunned them earlier, and then Detroit simply did not try to integrate them into their fleet. As it is, I think only Volkswagen and other European manufacturers provide them here.

What exactly do you expect Toyota to do KJN? They never told you it would get 30 mpg, the government did. And when you read the EPA statements on the sticker on your vehicle you will see the little Your mileage may vary statement. Not everyone is going to get the estimates, you may just have a driving environment that doesn't allow you to obtain the estimates. Driving style can also have an impact, and you dont' have to drive like a granny.

I try to stay either at the speed limit or less than 5 over and try to minimize my accelerating and braking and can exceed the City EPA estimates for the Prius. It is possible to get worse city than highway, as the Toyota models do best with keeping a constant rate of speed. A lot of stop and go is bad for the overall fuel economy and takes work to overcome.

KJN it does sound like somethiong is not right with your HH. I can get 20 mpg pulling a 12 ft enclosed trailer at 55 mph. It's like your stuck in B mode or something.

I have an numerous expectations: that my HH not be TEN miles UNDER the ESTIMATED mileage,
    that Toyota act RESPONIBLY and train their sales people not to reinforce the sticker mileage as an absolute, that if a Toyota corporate rep tells me they will be able to remedy the car problem following their request for me to submit 3 options to them, that the rep will follow through and NOT back out, I expect that when a Toyota service person tells me someting may be wrong with the car that they FIX it and not tell me to "break it in" and come back at 5,000 miles if it is still doing it. TI think that these expectations are not extreme, just normal consumer expectations.