+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Actual Mileage for Highlander Hybrid

Bought my '06 Highlander a month ago. Really disappointed n the MPG. Expected to get at least 30--getting in the low 20s. I know how to drive a hybrid--was getting 39-44 with my Civic Hybrid, but it was just too small. Tye engine is also excessively noisy at acceleration--sounds like it needs a tune-up. Tried running mid-grade w/o any affect. Hoping they come out with a conversion kit similar to what folks are doing in CA that will adapt it to run primarily on nicads for about 100 miles before recharge. If enough people push them, Toyota will see the potential profit and maybe do it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I have had my new HH 2006 4wd for about 2 weeks and am very disappointed with the MPG. It is averaging 21.7, city and highway. I am using regular gas/87. This is my first H. any clues?
    Disappointed in SoCal.
    Karen

Wow, so many people expressing similar disappointments with the Highlander Hybrid. We are about 1500 mi into the vehicle, and getting NO BETTER than 20-24 mpg under a variety of all driving condition, with a very light touch on the gas pedal, so we rank as VERY DISAPPOINTED thus far. and this is is in flat Kansas, in moderate temperatures, not much AC or cold temps yet.

Well, just getting started but my experience has been better than some of the results seen here. I got to practice on my wifes Prius prior to getting my Highlander so that may be helping.

First tank, which I agree should be ignored, got an indicated 27.2 and calculated after fillup of 27.6. I prefer not to throw that one away.

Just filled up last night and attempted to implement some "pulse and glide" technique used in the Prius "hypremileage" marathon near Pittsburgh.

After 20 miles, I'm at 30.2 indicated. That's about 7 miles city and 13 miles highway. Time will tell if I can hold onto that number.

This is in the flatlands of Wisconsin at about 35 F with tires at 36 lbs.

alf

i'm actually pretty happy with my mileage. i'm close to my first 5000-mile maintenance. i usually get about 25.7 mpg, according to the computer. when calculated by myself between two fill-ups, it's more like 24.5 mpg. But I usually drive at ~75 mph whenever i can or am stuck in <15 mph stop-and-go traffice when i have to, during my commute on the bay are highways.

Follow up to the Higlander Hibrid at 30.2 mpg. I'm now at 31.4 mpg indicated.

What I did, was take my commute to surface streets, with a 45 mph average, rather than the 65 mph highway. It takes longer, 30 min vs 15 min, and adds maybe 15% in additional miles but it does improve the mileage.

Am I saving gas? NO. I'm sure the extra miles consume any savings achieved by the better mileage. So now that I have that out of my system, I can get back on the highway.

The first couple miles of the commute show an instantanious of 10 mpg and drag my indicated average down by 3-4 mpg. By the end of the 18 mile commute it works it's way back up.

I do find it easier to do the glide part of "pulse and glide" in the Prius. With the Highlander it is much more difficult to find and maintain that glide condition.

A follow up to my last entry, disappointed in california, I have now had my HH about a month. The mileage is getting worse, now averaging 20 mpg. Spoke to a representitive at Toyota who recommended that I take the car into the service department where I bought the car. The HH was taken in and deemed, met Toyota's standards. The representative is unwilling to do anything more. I am thinking about my options. I have worked hard for my money and feel taken advantage of and am thinking about taking action against Toyota. Does anyone know if a class action lawsuit has been started and if so, where I can learn about it?

I've had my HH 2WD just over 2 weeks. Current tank is averaging 31.3 mpg for 400 miles. But, I am forcing myself to drive for mileage.

I noticed something last week that I have not had an opportunity to validate but here it is.

I was traveling on the highway at 65 mph indicating about 30 mpg. (Lots better than my Suburban.) A few minutes later I was indicating about 21 mpg. IMMEDIATE CONCERN.

While trying to determine what might be wrong, I thought about the semi on my back bumper. I slowed to just under 65 mph and he passed. As soon as he got clear and I was in clean air my milage went back up to 30. I though drafting would actually help both parties, maybe not.

Disappointed in California,

If your serious, I think most states have a lemon law that might apply.