+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

I don't see how it could

I don't see how it could hurt a sensor. It's not good for the charcoal filter in the cap.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The vapor recovery system in

The vapor recovery system in the fuel tank is designed to handle fuel vapors ONLY. When any amount of liquid fuel is forced into the vapor recovery system, it can cause quite a bit of damage.

This is not usually a problem in November. But in summer months, fuel in the underground gas station tanks may be only 50 degrees. Then in your fuel tank, in that hot asphalt parking lot, the fuel temperature might exceed 100 degrees.

UNLIKE water, gasoline DOES have a very large value for "thermal expansion". Cold gasoline becomes QUITE larger in volume as it heats up.

So "topping off" your fuel tank in warm weather can result in the fuel expanding and liquid fuel forcing itself into the vapor recovery system.

Now that I think about it, I

Now that I think about it, I thought the prius didn't have a vapor recovery system. That's why it has the dumbass rubber tank, right? So it doesn't have to manage vapor recovery when operating in electric only or coasting modes.