+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

fuel guage indicator on prius 05

I have an '04 Prius, now with 100,000 km on it. I have pushed the limits of the fuel tank/bag a few times. Early experience suggested that I was able to squeeze out 100km (60 miles) after the last bar started blinking. I have actiually run out of gas twice. Both times I was able to make it on electric only to a gas station. As soon as I was refilled, the warning light went out and all was fine. I understand that if you run out of gas and battery power you need a dealer reset. I now try to refill as soon as the last bar starts flashing.

I have had a two irratic refills (took much less fuel than it should have). This seemed to happen when it was left sitting close to empty in cold (Canada winter) weather.

Generally I am very happy with my Prius. I think the gas bladder is an excellent idea environmentally. I am not convinced by the statement (in this list) that it will require regular replacement.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I just got an '06 prius on monday and last night coming home, i went from 2 bars to 1 and it started blinking. My commute is about 45 miles and i was about 1/3 of the way home, so i figured i'd be fine. (~48 miles for the last bar, plus i figured there must be a reserve, right?)

About half way home the engine cut out and the red triangle exclamation, VSC, check engine, and some light on the touch screen all came on and freaked me out. I was able to go about 2 miles on the battery and get to a gas station.

After filling up and turning on, all the lights went off.

It would be nice if it would just say it was out of gas, i thought i was under missile attack or something.

... and the fill up took about 10.3 gallons.

I occassionally smell gasoline while driving my
    05 Prius. Sometimes it is very strong. Has anyone else experienced this.

About gas smell.
    It often happens to me too to smell gas while driving. It does not last long. I even ask my dealer to check any gas leak but did not found anything wrong. Strange...

I noticed a raw fuel odor inside my 2004 Prius (15K miles) after it had been parked in the driveway for a couple of days. It hasn't gone away. The last fillup was on the road and used about 1/4 tank before returning to the driveway so it's not a spillage problem.

There's no odor in the engine compartment or outside the vehicle and no trace of an external fuel leak.

This is worrisome. Let's keep this subject alive until we find out what it is!

Ron

My 2005 prius seems to be stuck on full on the gas guage. I'll refill my tank after 250 miles and see if it starts working again. This discussion has been very enlightening.

The fuel odor in my 2004 has slowly gone away by itself.

I've had the same problme with the fuel smell recently. The only difference was that I used gasohol in it that day. I only bought just under 3 gallaons and drove for 170 miles on that. Anyway, I don't think the gasohol was the problem, it's just the only thing I did differently that time.

My 2005 Prius hasn't run out of gas and the gauge is only marginally weird [in other words, it DOES seem to vary a little bit as to how many squares are left and how much can go into the tank then.]
    The problem that I am wondering about is that when I fill up at the gas station, even if I am certain that the tank needs 7 or 8 gallons to fill it - based on miles driven and the gauge - the darn pump shuts off as I am adding gas after just a few seconds. The pump keeps shutting off [the automatic nozzle shut off feature I presume] over and over and it takes forever to fill the tank, one squirt at a time. It makes no difference if I adjust the angle or depth of insertion of the nozzle, it still shuts off over and over.
    The really weird thing is that at other times, I'll shove the nozzle in and it will fill just fine for the whole 7,8 or so gallons.
    Anybody else getting this annoying pump shut off problem and know anything that solves it?