+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

fuel guage indicator on prius 05

Yes, the problem is not well described in the manual, but if the gas goes below 2 gallons you may get an emergency light that can only be eliminated at the dealership. It cost me almost $50 to get it investigated, only to find out that a very low gas supply was the problem.

In addition, the gas bladder has to be replaced at intervals. This is a regular expense and in 2006 the cost is about $840, including the bladder, relay, and labor. If you don't let the tank get low, this cost can be postponed somewhat beyond the 60,000 to 80,000 mile figure, I think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Where's that Toyota dealer who was telling us a few days ago how great the Prius is? $840 every few years to replace the gas tank! [chortle] I don't think I'll be having that problem with my Honda Civic Hybrid, thank you very much.

During a ski trip this weekend, I had my 2002 Prius fail to start with THREE BARS showing on the gas gauge. Cost to tow to nearest dealership: $300. Diagnosis: the car believed it was "out of gas." This even though it started right up at the dealership, with no gas added, and ran fine during a road test.

When I took it to the filling station before driving it (carefully) home, I added 7.8 gallons, meaning there was at least 3 gallons in the tank when it failed.

It irks me to see people chiding Prius owners for "letting the tank get low." THREE BARS should not be a low tank needing immediate attention. I was a huge Prius fan until this weekend, but now I have to seriously question the car's reliability.

Interesting comments. My 2005 Prius has not demonstrated any of these malfunctions during the year I have owned it. It is a delightful little car and I average 44.5 mpg. I have had no problems whatsoever with any part of the car. I routinely fuel my car when the gas gauge drops to one square. I will regularly be able to put ten gallons in at that time, and it has done this every time I have refueled.

Sorry the rest of you are having such a bad time. Mine works perfectly.

HP

Has this been a problem in 2006 models, faulty fuel gauge readings that is?

We've only had ours for 3 weeks, and so far we're averaging 47.6 miles, and I'm just getting the hang of coasting on the flats, even started to take the main side streets and getting off the sit, stop and go Freeway at rush hour, which boosted us up from ~45mph!

Only disappointment is we live atop a small mountain/big hill, and it just kills me that the electric motor can't get us up each night, even if we drop to 15mph in slow truck land.

Oh, well, we get to engine break all the way back down to the flats, so that's a great feeling to start the day, recycling all that energy!

My 06 Prius just failed when it was on the last bar--had it towed and was told the only problem was that it was out of gas--even though the guage still showed 3/4 of the last bar left. I was told that my warranty would not cover the towing and $50 to reset the "check engine light" because I had run out of gas. I thought I still had 30-40 miles left as I had been getting 50-60 miles per bar.

I think most of this is about the bladder in the tank.

It is very difficult at faster pumps to fill up the tank. I found a place where I get the best fuel (for performance) and sometimes will spend to time to top up my tank. As time goes on I don't worry about it much unless I'm going to be driving some distance.

Once in awhile I have trouble filling my Prius when there I am down to just 1 indicator light - the pump keeps turning off after just 1 second of filling - the 1st time this happened I took it to the dealer who declared there to be no problem & was able to fill it easily (I did get a full tank of gas out of the dealer) - the problem happened again yesterday & the gas station owner said he sees this everyday with Prius' (Priii?) - after reading the comments on this site I think it is that the bladder was collapsed in its almost empty state & so sensed that it was full - I won't be letting it get much below 1/2 empty from now on - otherwise I love my Prius & have been very happy with the dealership in Walnut Creek - Catherine

Wow, I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

When I went to fill up my gas tank today (gas indicator was only one bar left), I only got up to 6.7 gallons. It was surprising because 2 weeks before, I filled up to 8 gallons when there were 2 bars left.

I really wish this gas bag wouldn't fluxuate as much. It can really be hazardous when travelling far distances.

A week ago, the gas pump at our Shell station where I usually refuel my '06 Prius kept shutting off after a second or two. I was at about 1/2 tank. Now, I've gone about 140 miles and am still at ten bars.