+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Oil: 5w-20 vs. 0w-20

Has anyone tried using 5w-20 in place of 0w-20 oil? If yes, how many miles do you have on your car? I was thinking of using 0W-20 in the winter and 5W-20 in the summer when temp. are never below 50 degrees. Any experts out there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

There would be virtually no difference between the two oils in summertime. If you drive mostly very short trips (a mile or two), starting with a cold engine, you might see a slight loss of fuel economy in summer with the 5w, but I doubt it.

I have a 2004 HCH with manual tranny and 80K miles. The owners maunal states that 5-20 oil is an acceptable substitute. Since 0-20 oil in my area seems to be available only from the dealer for $3.50+ a quart, I have always used 5w-20 which all the major motor oil makers sell and is available anywhere motor oil is sold. (I change the oil myself). So far the car has been trouble free and my average year round mileage is 49.

I have been using 5w-20 in two Civic Hybrids, one since fall 2002. As previously noted, the owner's manual identifies this as an acceptable substitute. I use Mobil 1, which is a hell of a lot better than the stuff the dealer sells. And now Mobil 1 is becoming generally available in the 0w-20 viscosity. It's $5 a quart, but you can go 10,000 miles between changes, and it will help your ICE last forever.

Isn't Mobil 1 supposed to have the 0W-20 in a fully synthetic blend? I've always been told that synthetic oil is better for you engine anyways.

I have never seen either of these two oils for sale anywhere. The lowest I can find is 5w-30 and 10w-30. I go to regular department stores and have also tried Autozone and sears.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Isn't Mobil 1 supposed to have the 0W-20 in a fully synthetic blend? I've always been told that synthetic oil is better for you engine anyways.

No such oil as a FULLY synthetic BLEND... A blend is just that, - Synthetic mixed with Dino. A full synthetic 0-20 is available from Mobil Oil Co.

Motor Oil..

The Motor Oils and its Additives have a good standing in heavy weight viscosity..what seems to have been a technology in Oil is the ability to add an Additive that works independently of the standard lubricant..I would(when I did drive a ICE)use two Mobil 1 Blends..this goes back to the late 80's and early 90's so I may be off on the GRADE Numbers..
    For a Winter Crankcase Oil I was useing the 5w-30 w/4cyl. STP..and a PINT of Marvel Mystery Oil..this was used in my V-6 Pontiac Station Wagon..I made a GRAVITY FILTER to switch to the SUMMER Blend..//I would drain the winter oil and now add my Summer Blend of 15w-40 w/4cyl. STP and a PINT of Marvel Mystery Oil..I was re-useing my Anti-Freeze Solutions also/I would FILTER that fluid and save for a SUMMER/WINTER type..
    I made a Gravity Filter by useing a 5-Gallon Sealed Container(ScrewCap)and a second Container just like it was sitting on the Garage Floor..The removed Crankcase Oil was put into the Container set up High on the WORKBENCH..which had copper tubing running into the Container placed on the Garage Floor..I used a Propane Torch to soldier the copper tubing(be careful of the Container CONTENTS)and don't use water to remove any CONTENTS(the interior will be ruined)..you can use a couple of bottles of Medicinal Rubbing Alcohol and let it dry in the HOT Sun..and then safely use SOLDERING Equipment..I placed a Gasoline Fuel Filter part way in the copper tubing..<<and just let GRAVITY do the rest>>..
    I was not CHANGEING My Crankcase OIL as much as I was just CHANGEING the OIL FILTER..and TOPPING UP w/FRESH OIL..every 6,000 miles..swapping out Anti-Freeze for a more DILUTED version in the SUMMER..saving the concentrated version for the NEXT Winter..(also filtering that fluid)..but really just running it thru POLYESTER placed into a BIG-funnel running into a CLEAN Container..I had plenty of Maintainance Savings this way..and my CAR(ICE)was a perfect Model from that point of service..I approx/that I spent some $$400.00 in 10-years and 100,000 miles of normal-->>heavy Drive Time..and $$100.00 per month on Regular gasoline..w/1-Can of Fuel Injector Cleaner per month(Carb.Engine)..Canadian V-6..
    .................................................. ...just a couple of suggestions/to try.

A fully-synthetic (group IV

A fully-synthetic (group IV & group V base oil) is now available from Nippon Oil - the #1 oil company in Japan.
    www.eneos.us

0W-20 is also becoming more available at the dealerships. But, you have to ask for it. Otherwise you will get whatever they have in their bulk tank.

I pay the man and he puts in

I pay the man and he puts in the stuff and the car works fine ... Hooha.