+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Have been using Yaesu 8800

Have been using Yaesu 8800 (2m/440) in my 2008 Prius with no problems. Also been using an old GE 2m for APRS.

There are several unused fuse circuts in the fuse box under the dash.

I tapped the fuse box for both Ign and Batt hot circuts, and placed a little black box at the base of the dash with power poles.
    I also tapped the 12V battery in the trunk for a batt hot power pole outlet in the trunk space. Good for recharging portable batteries on the go. Or running a portable rig from the trunk as Incident Command.

So far, I've been using mag mounts on roof, but I found a nice short trunk lid 2M antenna that I can put on the hatch, and drive into garages without twang, twang, twang...

Absolutely NO problems or malfunctions on the car with two 50W 2M rigs running (and gps recievers, nav computer, scanner).

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Does anyone have experience

Does anyone have experience with CB radios installed in Toyota Prius? I just installed a Midland Compact model 1001Z CB radio in my girlfriends 2008 Toyota Prius. I'm using a magnetic-mount center-loaded antenna from Radio Shack mounted on the right rear roof of the car about 12" from the car's radio antenna. The problem I'm having is that while the car is operating, I'm receiving 2-3 bars of signal strength constantly with no sound coming from the speaker. This signal strength indication varies depending on acceleration, deceleration, and "coasting". So far I have not received any CB transmission to know whether or not this thing is working. However, it worked okay temporarily installed in my Pontiac Bonneville.

The Prius drive system

The Prius drive system inverts 200v DC from the battery into 600v AC for the drive motor.

It's possible that if there is some RF leakage from the power inverter, it's being read by the radio as incoming signal. This would be more of a problem in the AM radio spectrum than FM.

Is there any sign of interference in your "broadcast" AM radio reciever?

Who uses AM radio these

Who uses AM radio these days? (short answer). I haven't even tried the AM radio in the car, but will do that next time I'm in the car. (long answer). I've received other suggestions from another posting to isolate the affected circuit, antenna or power. I'm thinking antenna but I guess it is possible that the DC power isn't so DC with all this electric motor technology. Thanks for your help.

If you want a "home made"

If you want a "home made" detector for RF interference (or for lightning) you tune an AM radio to a "dead" channel that has no station broadcasting.

RF noise from the car's ignition system, or alternator shows up on the radio as a high pitch whinning sound that rises and falls with engine RPM.

Nearby lightning sounds like a sudden crackling noise, with the volume being a rough estimate of the distance to the lightning.

AM radio's are far more vulnerable to picking up stray RF noise. One reason why music stations have transitioned to FM broadcast.

I'm back. First of all, the

I'm back. First of all, the stray radiation from the Prius' electrical systems is coming through the antenna. Disconnect it and the signal "meter" goes dead. The power is clean. The car's AM radio, tuned off-station, does not sound differently with the car's drive train operating or shut down. I grounded the radio's chassis using 2' of copper wire to the seat frame which is bolted to the car's chassis and no detectable resistance on the ohm meter. This had zero affect on the received RF interference.

I got a closer look at the RF signal "meter" on the radio. It consists of 5 LEDs labeled 1,3,5,9 and 30+ db. Normal cruising in the car is a solid 3db with occasional blinking of 5db. Breaking will cause 5 to 9 db bursts. Occasionally very rapid bursts of 30+ db will occur. I was not able to correlate these 30 db bursts with the operation of the car. Also noted, "coasting" the car (no energy moving on the drive train display) will stop the RF interference. Also note that the RF interference only shows up on the signal meter and does not produce any audible sounds from the radio.

Any suggestions out there on what to do next? Do you think that ferrite beads or donuts on the antenna cable will help? My next step is to contact Midland and Toyota for their 2 cents. I'm not hopeful that they will be of any help. I did contact a CB dealer's support line, out west somewhere, and he just said the problem was due to a cheap radio and he really doesn't deal with "4-wheelers".

An update: I installed the

An update: I installed the CB radio back on my Pontiac Bonneville and it works great. However, I got stuck in crawling traffic this morning, on the way to work, next to a Prius. The radio registered lots of RF interference every time he was moving and we passed each other. A few days ago, as I passed one at high speed there was a noise blip, but I wasn't sure the Prius caused the blip. Now I'm sure. Prius' are a little hotbed of RF noise that deffinitely can affect CB radios.

Another response that I received yesterday from the editor of a CB magazine said to use a Wilson 1000 antenna and see what happens. He has no confidence in cheap compact antennas. But I don't want to throw more money at this problem based on a hunch or bias against inexpensive products. That's why I'm here. Has anyone successfully installed a noise-free CB in a Toyota Prius? And if so, what did it take to do it?

Tuning the antenna to the Prius may be a possible solution if I had a SWR, but I don't. Spending money on one for 1 installatiion doesn't make much sense to me, especially since I don't know that this is really the problem. Has anyone else gone through this process of getting a CB successfully installed on a Prius?

Have you have any problems

Have you have any problems with overheating the ham radio by keeping it in the under-trunk plastic tray? I'm thinking of installing a Yaesu FT-7800R in a Prius.

The Prius is a hotbed of RFI

The Prius is a hotbed of RFI on HF. So bad I won't even attempt an installation. Here are some great links discussing this matter.

Brad - W4BJM

http://perens.com/works/hobbies/ham/prius/rfi/

http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/prius/index.htm

No radio transmitter should

No radio transmitter should be placed in an UNVENTILATED area of any car, such as the under-trunk storage space.

Radio transmitters NEED air flow for cooling.

Under the driver or passenger seat is a MUCH better location.