+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any full hybrid pickups on the horizon?

Has there benn any movement by the idnustry to bring out a full hybrid pickup? Right now all we've got is the same old stupidity and arrogance of American manufacturers like GM producing partial hybrids that do little for pollution control or fuel economy. It's almost like they WANT to go bankrupt. I just want a clean pickup that I can fill with dirt, lumber, and the occasional deer and drive over snowy dirt roads. Is that too much for a country boy to ask?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Toyota will have a Hybrid in every one of our body styles by 2012. We will have a mass produced hydrogen vehicle by 2010. Hybrid Tundra should be a 2007 release.

Dave,

I'll attempt to redefine what you see as arrogance and stupidity as a simple difference in focus. GM is working on a hybrid pickup, but since the release date has not been publicly announced, I cannot & will not divulge that information here. Let me define what I mean by difference in focus......

Several years ago GM and Toyota spent a lot of time working jointly on a hybrid program. At some point, GM decided it was in our best interest to allow the partnership to dissolve without executing the product. Toyota decided to continue development of the product. The Lexus R400h is an evolution of that project. GM decided to focus instead on refining the diesel hybrid bus product that is now being used in several large US and Canadian cities. Those buses are significantly reducing fuel consumption and emissions in those cities. Seattle, Portland, and Washington DC to name a few. Rather than continue the joint development with Toyota, GM decided to scale down the bus system to develop a gasoline based RWD/AWD system that will very shortly launch with the redesigned large SUV. Other FWD/AWD GM hybrids are now poised on the launch pad. GM is also working with other auto manufacturers on evolutions of the scaled down bus system for use in cars, trucks, and SUVs.

http://www.unh.edu/p2/biodiesel/article_alge.html

I really think this is the way to go. With a strong commitment by the feds, we could grow and process all the biodiesel we need from algae grown around the Salton Sea.

This is what we should be building right now. In my opinion Ford and GM will go bankrupt before they even begin to catch on.

For about the past year I have offered anyone who would listen the following info: None of the American automobile companies have even responded. I have had some positive response from several educational institutions but - as far as I know - none have done any experimental work to verify my claims.

Here is what I have been proposing:

In one scale or another everyone of these systems have been proven.

Like to produce a vehicle that can burn rubber on takeoff on all four wheels and get 90+ mpg?

What I would like to see the automakers working on would have:

A turbocharged, two cylinder opposed, 2-cycle, air-cooled diesel directly
    driving a generator. (It would not be running most of the time.) A 111 volt Lithium-Ion Polymer battery pack. Nothing but wires going from the controller to every wheel, except for the necessary additional friction
    brakes (of course). An added advantage of this would be the ability to recharge from the electrical grid while at home, saving even more on fuel.

Each wheel, depending on the feedback to the controller from wheel speed sensors would drive with just the right power depending on the accelerator position. You would get recharging from deceleration just as you do in today's hybrids. You would also use this feedback to stop the wheel from skidding.

Each wheel would have a stationary stator and a series of fixed magnets closely adjacent all around the inside of the wheel. In a sense it would operate each wheel in a very similar fashion that the mag-lev trains use,
    except the motion would be circular, of course. Something very different about this type of motor is that the stators are fixed to the axles and the magnets are driven around them. This gives a significant increase in
    mechanical advantage. That's like turning an ordinary electric motor inside out.

There would be no need for ordinary electric motor brushes. In fact, many electric motors operating today are brushless.

Such motors already exist in the model airplane field and their efficiently
    is amazing - approaching 90%. I've got a couple and doubt that I would ever buy any other type.

It's possible to hang the model on the prop right out in front of you and
    accelerate straight up, like a rocket, with this type motor

In the vehicle the motor/generator would not turn on to recharge the
    batteries until they needed it. There are already experimental Lithium-Ion
    driven cars that can get in excess of 200 miles before they have to be
    recharged by plugging them in. You would top off your batteries overnight by plugging them in. Some cutting edge research by Toshiba - employing nano-technology - indicates that recharging can be done so fast that you could top off while eating lunch.

Lithium -Ion battery technology is so new that I doubt that very many
    automotive engineers have even heard of them, much less thought to use them in this manner. Their energy density exceeds that of any other form of rechargeable energy storage.

The Lithium Ion battery is the most efficient battery available right now. So is the outer rotor electric motor the most efficient motor.

Build an Automobile right and it will weight less and have simpler, easier to repair/replace modules.

Lets see what we can eliminate while improving performance and efficiency.

Transmission - None

Ignition system - None

Liquid cooling - None

Valves and valve train - None

Use bio-oil/fuels for both fuel and lubrication.

Feel free to pass this along to anyone you know in the Transportation business.

I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid last summer. I enjoy it more than any vehicle I've ever owned. I will Never buy another vehicle that isn't a Hybrid and doesn't get at least 50 mpg.

As far as I can tell, Detroit isn't even thinking the same way I and the vast majority of it's potential customers are.

William Lucas Jones
    490 Mauldin Rd.
    Sautee, GA 30571-3159

(706) 219-3333

I have driven GM pickups for many years and miles (225K miles on my present 2000,and they usually last at least 250,000) in the oil business (field operations and consulting), but am waiting for a plug in hybrid pickup to haul only light loads which gets more than 18 mpg, preferably many more than that. There would be no trouble putting a battery pack in a full size pickup and charging it each night. Is there any information on specifically when a major manufacturer is coming out with something like this?

Look at GMs HEV out there now. It drives great and serves as a generator as well. Its come in handy on the construction sites. If youre looking for 18mpg, check out GMs new truck coming out now. They have serious capability and I hear the Tahoe is getting over 20mpg! this is an awesome truck. It has that engine that shuts cylinders down whe yourre grocery shopping (or going to golf) and all power is on tap when you throw the camper on back! TReally. I also hear GM will come out with a new hybrid next year. My buddies tell me its cool. Knowing GM they will launch it with the SAME or improved utility and payload but get seriousd FE. Good american iron, unlike some of these pansies that like the asian crap they feed us. And by the way, Toyota and Honda are finding out wjhat it means to mass produce cars - they have recalls everywhere! The Pruis shutting down on the freeway to the oddessy locking its drive wheels at highway speeds!
    If you dont buy the GM storygo to EPAs websiite and compare the numbers....a current GM pickup gets # (yes THREE) mpg better than the Tundra (joke truck). Explain that! guess we know who leads.

This isn't really the best forum for GM truck advertisements, John. We're not at all impressed with a "hybrid" vehicle that gets 18 MPG City, 21 MPG Highway, 19 MPG Combined (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/21082.shtm...) - but then you cleverly failed to mention that rotten mileage in your message, didn't you?

And you also neglected to mention that GM might not be making as many vehicles as last year, or employing as many people as last year. Any ideas why that might be, John? Do you think it might have anything to do with making too many vehicles that get 19 MPG (or less)?

(And we don't appreciate General Motors carpet-bombing multiple HybridCars forums with the same lame message, either. Tell your boss in GM's advertising department that it didn't work.)

Paul, I feel for you. You seem frustrated - and somehow think because I talk up GM I must work for them??? The reality is (although I am impressed you think I could) that I have nothing to do with a car company and do like hevs but I have seen no other car company do a truck - and you haven't either. So, until it happens we should hold our criticism....right? hat's off to Gms effort.

Paul, by the way, who are "we" that are not impressed....are you talking for the "WHOLE" myrid of hev owners - you are a stud!

By the way, for the Chevrolet Silverado (18 mpg city/22 mpg highway 2005 EPA estimate) and the GMC Sierra (18 mpg city/22 mpg highway 2005 EPA estimate)....guess I am not happy to have you represent us since you fly by the seat..

That's old news, John - it's from your GM website (http://www.gm.com/company/onlygm/fuel_hybrids.html - click on 2004). And it's strange that neither you nor the GM website mention the true mileage - the combined mileage - of 19 miles per gallon (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/21117.shtml) for the 2005 Sierra.

While I certainly have no "official" standing here at hybridcars.com, in my opinion it is safe to say that the majority of Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid owners who get 45 to 50+ MPG simply would not be impressed upon hearing about a vehicle that gets 19 MPG.

And I don't understand how you think GM deserves a "hats off" for laying off 30,000 workers and closing 7 factories.