+ Reply to Thread

Honda Accord Hybrid - Fuel Indicator

Just out of curiousity does anyone else have this problem/question?

According to the specs, the fuel tank is supposed to be 17 gallons, but my fuel indicator is coming on at about 12.5 gallons. I have been fueling up for fear of running out of gas, but I really think the indicator needs to be adjusted.

Anyone else have this? And do you think it would be worth my time for a trip to my dealer?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

No need for a trip to the dealer. The light is mearly to give you a heads up that you will need to fuel up soon. however a car that gets 35 + mpg really don't need to warn until only about 2 gallons remaining instead of 4. P.S. my HAH fuel light comes on at the same time as yours.

Ditto. My indicator comes on at 12.5 gallons. Fueling up when the needle is dead on empty results in at 13.4 gallon fillup. While I really don't care that the low fuel light comes on early I am sort of irrated by the gauge being on empty with over 4 gallons left in the tank!

Thats so funny because I just bought a 2005 honda accord v6 ex. I got the indicator on earlier today and filled up with only 13.5 gallons of gas. I quickly read the book which says 17 gallons. It drove me nuts till I read you guys have the same issue. I figured the MPG was wrong. Although I have a regular not a hybrid, I think its nice that it warns you early but it seems too early.

I was searching this issue to see whats up with the early reminder! Well with 4 gallons left I can go another 80 miles so I would reset my B-trip when indicator comes on I can be aware how long this reminder been on and then it would not bug me any more since I know my parameters.

I was about to ask the same question when I read this post..Thanks!..
    But anyway, I have here some update about my car, Honda...I hope this might help and give some ideas...=)
    The new, 2007 Honda CR-V is more powerful, more stylish and more comfortable than the previous-generation 2006 models. Its new suspension geometry delivers an improved ride and better, more responsive handling.

The engine, still an inline four cylinder, employs variable intake valve timing to optimize horsepower and torque for acceleration and cruising speeds. The transmission is a new, five-speed automatic. Real Time all-wheel drive is offered on all three models. The U.S. EPA rates the front-wheel drive CR-V at 23/30 city/highway miles per gallon and the all-wheel drive at 22/28.

Thus, buyers looking for peppy performance, snazzy styling and easier financing have better choices. Its Honda fuel filter and other accessories like Honda spoiler in their excellent condition...But for Honda loyalists looking for something better than their current CR-V or an SUV to step up into from their Civic, the '07 is the logical way to go...

Floating floats

This issue is not unique to Honda but is rather a function of mechanicaly how a fuel guage sending unit works. In addition of showing empty when there is actually fuel left you may have noticed that it shows full for too long after filling the tank.

A fuel guage basically indicates to position of a float located inside the fuel tank. Several things can make the relationship between this float position and volume of fuel remaining complicated, (like tank shape etc), but two conditions exisit that always impose unique and often false readings.

1 When you fill the tank the float rises to it's highest possible position, usually pinned against the top of the tank, and cannot move until enough fuel is burned off to allow the float to float. The result is that the fuel guage reads full for much longer than the tank is completely full. (For my HAH this can be as much as 100+ miles on a road trip.)

2 Eventually as you drain the tank the float comes to rest at it's lowest possible position, sometimes against the bottom of the tank, and cannot move further because it cannot float. But just like can happen to a boat, it has gone aground even though there is still liquid present. The result is that the fuel guage reads empty even though there is still fuel in the tank. (Also note that the bottom of the tank is sloped to allow drainage into the fuel line or fuel pump and that some portion of the tank cannot be drained in most situations.)

So in short a fuel guage works fine as long as the float floats.

great comments men, I

great comments men, I surmised the same theory when my honda accord acted this way, but this confirms my suspicions. thanks.

I also have this very

I also have this very problem with my 05. I just figured I had a bad fuel guage but it looks like everyone has this problem. Maybe it warrants a recall or something if its all 05 Accord Hybrids.

Hi, We are a group of

Hi,
    We are a group of students from Imperial College in London and as part of our MSc in Environmental Technology, we are studying the comparative influence of several groups of parameters on car-buyers' behaviour. We would be very pleased to collect answers from car owners and especially hybrid cars owners in order to draw relevant conclusions from our statistical analysis.
    By filling in this survey, you will enable us to collect valuable data for our research. Of course all these data will remain strictly confidential and anonymous, and will not be diffused to anyone outside the academic staff at Imperial College.
    here is the link to our questionnaire, it should not take you more than 4-5 minutes to fill it in:
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...YBq85DYA_3d_3d
    Thank you very much for your time.