+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Future of Rav4

I had heard last year that they are supposed to be making the Rav4 Hybrid and that it was supposed to come out in '07 or '08. As to the process now I don't know. I do agree that I am waiting for the Rav4 Hybrid as well. I had a Rav4 before I got my 2002 Prius. I love my prius but it's really up there in miles. 133,356 miles now and counting and I have been waiting for the Rav4 to come out in Hybrid form before selling my Prius. I would get one in a heartbeat 'cause I miss my Rav4 I loved that car but needed to trade it for a car w/better mileage and the ability to drive in HOV here in VA by myself b/c of where I work.

Hurry up Toyota...bring it out soon!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I live in a cold climate, so diesel is out.
    I have to clear up this misinformation. Modern Diesels have no more problems in cold climates that any gasoline powered vehicle. In fact, I've heard that the cold is really hard on hybrid batteries:

http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/buy...rid-t1149.html

Just as some think there is a real market for a small hybrid SUV, this same market also could use a small clean diesel SUV. MPG would probably be about the same. VW may be bringing such a vehicle:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehi...81.A11451.html
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=159990

Yeah, maybe I'm a troll from the diesel forums, but I'm just trying to show that there are options.

-------------------
    VeeDub in da house

The problem with diesels in cold climates is just the starting factor. If you are out and unable to plug in the block heater, they don't start. Other than that there is no difference.

No Hybrid Rav4 Anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by jakewash View Post
    The problem with diesels in cold climates is just the starting factor. If you are out and unable to plug in the block heater, they don't start. Other than that there is no difference.
    Um, sorry but that's more wrong information.
    Starting problems in cold climates is probably only the case with old diesel engines. Modern diesel cars have little things called "glow plugs" on the engine, which are kind of like mini heaters, that enable the car to start in cold climates. A block heater is still a good idea to warm the engine up before starting it, thereby reducing the time needed to reach a good operating temperature when started, and consequently improving mpg. But they are not required.

RAV4 hybrid

I realize the original post to this discussion is now 2 years old, but I was still hoping Toyota would be coming out with a hybrid RAV4 sometime soon, so I contacted toyota and asked. The reply was that they had no plans to make a hybrid RAV4 in the u.s. at this time. I strongly urge anyone who wants this suv to go to www.toyota.com and contact them letting them know you want one. They did say they would document my desire for one, maybe if enough people do that toyota will get moving!!

holding out

I, too, am holding out with fingers crossed that my '99 sentra will last until toyota comes out with the hybrid RAV-4...in the meantime I'm making good use of my new schwinn 21 speed bicycle!

well I got the 07 RAV4 - unfortunately it's not a hybrid.
    here's some news though and this comes from my area Toyota President Rep.

Toyota does have a RAV4 hybrid but only in Japan.
    they release the vehicle as a Japan only for real world testing for a couple years before being released elsewhere.

I guess the Prius was in Japan 3 years before a North American release.
    So this could mean a RAV 4 Hybrid in a few more years.

As fr Subaru--- well Toyota now own's part of Subaru (bought from GM)
    Subaru and Toyota are working right now at getting a Hybrid Legacy.
    Toyota is building Camry's in Subaru's Louisianna factory in exchange for getting a Subaru hybrid going. The challenge here is making the electric motor fit in properly with Subaru's boxer engine design.

Another thing to think about... Toyota's hybrid system can work on it's own.
    Ford's cannot, and thus doesn't give as good fuel mileage as Toyota's hybrid system.

I'm really hoping i can get the RAV hybrid at the end of my current lease (4 years) in the meantime we'll all have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by blotter View Post
    As fr Subaru--- well Toyota now own's part of Subaru (bought from GM)
    Subaru and Toyota are working right now at getting a Hybrid Legacy.
    Toyota is building Camry's in Subaru's Louisianna factory in exchange for getting a Subaru hybrid going. The challenge here is making the electric motor fit in properly with Subaru's boxer engine design.
    Subaru is also working on a boxer diesel engine for their lineup. Europe will of course be getting that... but maybe we'll get lucky and see it in the US as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blotter View Post
    Another thing to think about... Toyota's hybrid system can work on it's own.
    Ford's cannot, and thus doesn't give as good fuel mileage as Toyota's hybrid system.

What in the world are you talking about? Ford's system is very similar to Toyota's, so much so that they had to work out some copyright issues back before the Escape Hybrid's release. And the Escape hybrid can run on electric only under 25mph, if that's what you're referring to.

For those waiting on a Rav4 hybrid, why not buy an Escape instead? I'd say they're about the same size now anyway. True, styling is totally different...

domboy

my bad! - Another thing to think about... Toyota's hybrid system can work on it's own.
    Ford's cannot, and thus doesn't give as good fuel mileage as Toyota's hybrid system. replace Ford with GM

i meant to say all of GM's hybrids... which are considered "mild-hybrid's"