+ Reply to Thread

Batteries need replacement?

I was informed that the battery of a hybrid vehicle can expire requiring replacement in 8-10 years. This sounds like a huge disincentive for someone planning to purchase a hybrid vehicle. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

my honda civic hybrid carries a 100,000 mile warantee for the batteries.

that's about 10 years for me & my driving.

see ya

just in case you still have your civic after 10 years.... have you been told that the battery may need replacement at that time? i've been told that replacement at 8-10 years should be expected, and that the "unwarrantied" price tag will be about $10,000.

is this true?

jen

i have no idea. but usually after 10 years cars are worth about zip anyway - so i'm not worried.

see ya

If you talk to the dealers, the cost of the ENTIRE hybrid electrical system (batteries, modules, etc) is about $8000-9000 USD for either the HCH or Prius. The price has been dropping though, and once there are more of them on the road, the price should be even less come the time that you have to replace them. (only a couple of grand) They're warrantied for 8-10 years or 100,000 mi. There are Prius taxis here in Vancouver with over 300,000km (about 200,000mi) on them and the batteries are still going strong.