+ Reply to Thread

05 HCH auto stop won't restart

On several occasions our 05 HCH has failed to restart after entering auto stop mode. When this happens, I try shifting into first a couple of times and nothing happens, then I try the start position on the ignition switch - nothing happens. The only correction is to turn the car off for 5 seconds, then restart it. I'm interested in hearing if any others have had similar difficulty?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I've never had that problem in my 2003 HCH which has an automatic transmission. But my wife has - on her 2004 HCH which has a manual transmission. Her observation is that if she doesn't push all the way down firmly on the clutch pedal, the engine doesn't re-start after auto-stop. (I've never noticed this when I drive her car...)

Do you have a manual or automatic transmission?

my 05 HCH does this as well. Couldn't figure out why, but it has only appened a couple of times and simply restarting it after turning it off has worked. I didn't have to wait at all to restart though. I thought this was my error, but seeing others are having the problem perhaps i will take it in to the dealer to have it checked out before i am off warranty.

Paul and Carl, thanks for your feedback. This car has a manual transmission and is primarily driven by my wife or my daughter. My daughter has noticed the problem but my wife hasn't. At this time, I'm leaning towards the idea that the problem is pilot error - that is not depressing the clutch far enough. Will check for that the next time I notice difficulty. That's an easy correction to make. If that doesn't make a difference, I'll be posting again.

Just press your foot lightly on to the gas pedal will cause it to jump out of Auto Stop mode.

DW