+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid 4x4/Off-Road Vehicle?

I have been looking for a hybrid 4x4. I am currently saving for a Dodge Ram 1500 because I like to camp and hunt and need a 4x4 to get where i am going and need a fullsize truck to get all my gear there. Plus I am 6' 3", 250lbs, and these little Toyotas and Ford Rangers are just too small inside the cab for me to even want to get in.

I don't see anyone making a pickup other than the GM thing, but that is hardly a hybrid IMO.

This is a BIG market.

Maybe it won't be able to tow 7,000 lbs like a Hemi Ram, but if it can get a bed full of stuff to the middle of nowhere (like 200 miles from home), without breaking the bank from the gas, they would have a great selling point.

They don't have to be a replacement for Trailer pullers and hardcore offroading. Just general stuff most Americans do with pickups...toss it in the bed and go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I have been looking for a hybrid 4x4. I am currently saving for a Dodge Ram 1500 because I like to camp and hunt and need a 4x4 to get where i am going and need a fullsize truck to get all my gear there. Plus I am 6' 3", 250lbs, and these little Toyotas and Ford Rangers are just too small inside the cab for me to even want to get in.

I don't see anyone making a pickup other than the GM thing, but that is hardly a hybrid IMO.

This is a BIG market.

Maybe it won't be able to tow 7,000 lbs like a Hemi Ram, but if it can get a bed full of stuff to the middle of nowhere (like 200 miles from home), without breaking the bank from the gas, they would have a great selling point.

They don't have to be a replacement for Trailer pullers and hardcore offroading. Just general stuff most Americans do with pickups...toss it in the bed and go.

We took delivery of a Ford Escape four wheel drive hybrid last month. We have been getting just below 30 mpg and are very happy with it. Perfomance is surely adequate for us, and much better than the nine year old Explorer it replaces.
    The New York Times had a recent review of the Lexus hybrid and said it was outrageous that Toyota, a supposedly green company, would sell a premium-priced hybrid with little or no performance or mileage advantage over the standard vehicle. Also, watch out for the Toyota four-wheel drive system -- apparenly, if the hybrid battery runs out of power (likely on long hauls) you will revert to a two-wheel drive system. With the Ford, you still have four-wheel drive but the engine will need to work harder. Of course, neither the Ford (nor the Toyota, I think) have a true granny low, so neither is a true four-wheeler. Sad to say, if you need a full four wheel drive vehicle, you may be better off just buying a used true four wheel drive vehicle and only using it when you REALLY need it (I've taken a two-wheel drive vehicle over some pretty rough roads, although I would recommend taking a four-wheel driving class so you know how to maneuver your vehicle over rougher roads. I remember working in an isolated area in South Dakota one winter and did an informal survey -- over half the vehicles stuck on the side of the road were four wheel drive vehicles. Four wheel drive will not overcome poor driving knowledge and it will not stop any faster than a two-wheel drive. If you don't have some kind of limited slip differential, a four wheel drive vehicle is either a two-wheel drive or a no-wheel drive). So...take a four wheel drive course, ora at least see a training video, if you plan to drive any vehicle over rough roads.

Correction on Stan's post about the Lexus 400h or Highlander.

Performance is significnatly better than the non-Hybrid and gas mileage is significantly better as well. In terms of power and torque, the hybrid is significantly better than the non-hybrid.

Many RX400h and Highlander Hybrid owners (I am one) are reporting anywhere from 26 to 29 MPG after the first few thousand miles. We are getting 28.2 MPG now mixed.

The AWD drive system on these cars are on-demand 4 wheel drive. They are not meant for advanced off-roading,

Quote:
    >Also, watch out for the Toyota four-wheel drive
    >system -- apparenly, if the hybrid battery runs
    >out of power (likely on long hauls) you will revert
    >to a two-wheel drive system.

At first glance, it seems like this would be the case, since the the rear wheels are powered by electric motors only. However, if my understanding of full hybrids is correct, the gas engine comes on when the batteries are low. Therefore, in the case of low batteries in a situation where AWD is needed, the gas engine would start and the power it generates would drive the rear motors in addition to charging the batteries. This would be my guess, unless somebody has actually been informed by Toyota otherwise. Any thoughts?

The last I heard Toyota was supposed to be coming out with a full size 4x4 hybrid called the FTX around 2007. Being in the construction industry I need a truck and drive alot, so I'm holding my breath. Ford, Chevy and Dodge all have plans or have produced a few, but the mileage increase is hardly worth it and Toyota is unwilling to sell their technologies. The pic's of the FTX are beautiful, but I would imagine it will be scaled down by the time production rolls around and I'm afraid to see the price tag.

Well, it is now June 2006 and I am also looking for a 4WD hydrid that has enough ground clearance as I also need to go to places that the others last year won't go...does anyone know if anything new has come out that can do this?? Any ideas appreciated...
    Please put hybrid 4WD in the sugject line so you dont get spammed out...
    Thanks ;-)

I know this isn't a hybrid, but converting a smaller 4x4 to turbo diesel is the direction I'm leaning towards. Possibly a diesel-electric down the road like locomotives and large ships.

http://home.comcast.net/~jcmiley/index.html
    Here's a project utilizing a Ford Bronco. Claiming 28mpg average (better than my 4000miles/yr @ 15mpg). That coupled with a bicycle for local transportation would be a great idea. Maybe a trailer for hauling big heavy loads?

Plus, how much pollution is created and resources used in the production of a new car (a lot more than you might think), rather than using a car that already exists and thereby saving it from the scrapheap?

Just my $0.02, food for thought. You have to be somewhat of a DIYer for this though.

These trucks are available as diesels. Diesels can run on biodiesel without modifications to the engine at all, and/or you can install a greasecar system that uses diesel or biodiesel to start the car and then just wvo.

The Jeep Liberty diesel looks like what most of you would want. It is very good off-road (typical of jeeps) and can do the stuff in the previous paragraph.

Those that need somethibng bigger can get any Ford, Chevy/GMC, or Dodge truck diesel truck or the Dodge Sprinter and Ford Econoline Diesel vans. Diesels already have more towing ability than gas-powered trucks (even the 500-hp V10-powered Dodge Ram SRT-10 trucks!). I'm not sure if the Durango is available with diesel or not. If you can find one, the VW Touareg TDI is a good choice but a little more expensive.

i think that they should make off road vehicles hybrid. the jeeps should come out and have some of there vehicles hybrid with the ruggedness of jeep. no one will do that the corporate paper pushers wont allow the company to change from gas. if the coporate companys change then they wont make money from the oil booms. its sad how the we depends on oil and we will not change, well stubborn North Americans. We will not learn until we have destroyed wild life and the enviroment for good we should change our acts now