+ Reply to Thread

Prius +: Prius with a plug-in option

Hello All,

I just read in early May about the Prius + (http://www.calcars.org/priusplus.html) which gets 100+ miles to the gallon. New batteries are the reason for this, but for all of those already with a Prius, this gives a nice after-market option. Additionally, if an owner already has solar panels installed, the Prius becomes even greener.

Cheers,

Neal

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

on the solar panel tip.....I meant installed on a house

Hi Neal,

You might be interested in Bob's column that is up today. He just wrote about a company in England that is doing the same thing. While I have a hybrid civic, it sure makes me want to trade it in for the prius just to have this type of option.

Janice

Interseting.I just seriously noticed a prius last night.Just happened to stop in Toyota to look at a camry.I am just starting my research.Thanks for any info.
    Juanita

There's no way a Prius plugin gets 100+ miles / gallon. For a limited trip distance, it gets 100+ miles / (gallons + electricity).

Look, I'm just saying - why can't we leave the FUD and half-truths to the Hummer crowd? Saying that the plugin Prius get 100+ miles per gallon is a lie unless that mileage actually comes completely from gas. Technically, I could say my Hummer got 100 miles per gallon (well, I don't own a hummer, but that's beside the point) and just sort of leave out the fact that that's because I coasted it down the highway going down a mountain. But that's not real helpful or accurate, is it?

Actually, the well-to-wheels efficiency (assuming that oil was used to produce the electricity you used - useful for comparison) of the Prius + is probably well over 100 mpg in electric-only mode. If most of your driving is electric only, you'll get well over 100 mpg well-to-wheels.
    Of course, the downside is that you go out of electric only mode when you exceed about 30 mph.
    Even kicking on the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE); you get much better mpg than with the minimal battery from the stock Prius. I doubt that it is 100 mpg but 60 mpg wouldn't surprise me.
    I suspect that Felix Kramer drove pretty slowly when he got 120 mpg on his initial drive from LA to San Francisco.

the reason for this, but for

the reason for this, but for all of those already with a Prius, this gives a nice after-market option. Additionally, iTechnology Review