+ Reply to Thread

Small hybrid SUVs on the horizon?

Hi! I keep hearing vague reports from friends about smaller SUVs coming out in hybrid form in the next few years. Does anyone out there have more definite information about these rumors? Documentation? Maybe website links? I'm particularly interested in Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, and other similar small SUVs.

(By the way, I'm aware of the smallish Lexus SUV coming out, but I think it's way out of my price range.)

Any info is appreciated... Thanks!
    Lisa

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Well, how about the Ford Escape Hybrid which is already in it's second year of production?

Hi Randy,

They don't classify the Ford Escape as a small SUV. It's too big for my needs. That's why I was asking about smaller SUVs... Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, and comparable ones.

Thanks
    Lisa

Lisa,

Who doesn't classify it as a small SUV? It's Ford's smallest SUV, and it almost identical in size to the CR-V (I compared mine side by side with my uncle's CR-V). It's actually shorter than many cars out there, and I'm surprised at how many parking spaces I can fit into now.... and the parking lots/garages so far haven't charged the "oversized" surcharge for it.

Maybe you're thinking of one of the other Ford SUVs like the Explorer or Expedition - the names are easily confused.

Hi Lisa-

I got rid of my trusty Toyota Rav 4 to buy the Ford Escape HEV. The Escape has more head room and a tad more leg room for passengers than my RAV, but it is considered a compact SUV. I get 32 mpg in the Escape, and my '97 Rav 4 got 22 mpg. Look into the Ford Escape...you'll be surprised!

Hi Joan and Randy,

Thanks for the information. Maybe I am confusing the Escape with the Explorer - All those "E" names! I'll check it out... Many thanks!

Lisa