+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sutpid Question #108: Convert to hybrid?

Dan, I just figured out that your rant is a reply to my message of last May 11! I would love to buy and install a pre-assembled kit - but it's not there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Theoretically, it may be possible to have an inline electric motor in the drive shaft for rear wheel drive. This would allow ev mode, battery charging, and ev assist: everything you would expect from a hybrid.

However, you'll need batteries, some electrical stuff, and a computer to run it. If you're going to go that far, you may as well add a regenerative brake system.

If you have a well equiped shop, you're mechanically mided, can program the interaction between the gas and electric motor, and have alot of time on your hands you may be able to accomplish this for under $4000.

note: These are ramblings from the top of my head, take the figures with a grain of salt.

You guys may find my in progress in adding an electricly driven 5th wheel to my Honda Insight interesting.

I have added a 48V booster battery that increases the on board battery capacity as well to allow the MIMA equipped Insight to get some pretty good MPG numbers.
    A blog about this modification is at:
    http://99mpg.com/TheBestHybridmix/
    The thing that is interesting about the 5th wheel, is that it could be made to fit most any car, and doed not involve trying to interface to the rear wheels.
    The plan is to only use it to accelerate from a stop to say 25-30 MPH, via pure electric, to avoid the big MPG hit with each acceleration.

I want to convert my 2005 Peterbilt conventional to a hybrid. Will the Prius engine fit where my Cummins 450 hp diesel sets?

Yes the prius engine will fit in there. And with the extra room you can store your pony in the engine compartment as well during trips. Just make sure he has hay for the trip because its going to be a long one!

Yes, there are "little guys" working on this!
    I am one. I have a few buddies helping me so we may accomplish something.
    I am a car guy with fabrication skills, one friend has 25 years thermoplastic and composite experience, another is a heavy equipt. mechanic and one owns a restaurant.
    We have already built a test hybrid that will cover about 45 miles as full electric before we need to switch it back to gas engine. Used as a pizza delivery vehicle!
    No on board charging system yet but local university students are working on several VERY inovative
    "bolt on" designs for us.
    Electric unit is nearly bolt on and recharges overnight.
    I started with an old electric luggage tram from the airport and a NiMh battery pack from a muncipal auction.
    It is amazing how many of us are out there.
    Since a few people learned of our odd hobby I have been approached with electric power steering designs, offers for free and cheap parts...diesel engines, vegetable oil for making biodiesel..
    Local solar home system guy even designed a solar garage for it that will also power my house!
    Current budget expences are less that $2000 and we have a street legal car that we took on a 300 mile trip round trip with a 7 hour charge at 150 miles.
    Calculated average was 67 mpg on a car that had got 36 mpg before we electrified it.
    We did this for fun and to see if we could.
    If the right deal appears, we may try hub motors,
    electric lawn mower, whatever!
    To all the naysayers out there.....Shut up!! I'm having fun!
    Bruce

that's what i'm talkin' about! conversions would be great! i'm just hacked off at the crappy selections of hybrids and the (relatively) high prices. i just bought a toyota tacoma and, while the fuel efficiency is pretty decent, i'm getting clobbered at the pump. most of my miles are highway anyway, seems like it shouldn't be too hard to add some sort of electric cruising motor to the little guy and kill some of that gas bill! i love my manual tranny and the truck bed for moving awkwardly sized items... there's not a hybrid on the market that fits my pocketbook and my lifestyle. a conversion for highway use would be enough for me and for a lot of people.

i converted a gas to electric car a couple of years ago using 1880s technology.
    basically it had a general electric 30 horse power dc motor and sixteen golf cart batteries from sams club. the only techie thing about it was a curtis speed controller (for smooth accelleration). as primitive as that car was it did 50 mph with a range of 50 miles. it was good for commuting but you would need a second car for long trips. i say if you want a green car go all electric

Converting non-hybrid cars to hybrids

I have an old car, a 1963 Studebaker Golden Hawk Gran Turismo. I would like for it to be converted to a hybrid car. I do NOT want to do my own work. I would like the final product to be a reliable car, with service more or less available. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Does anyone -- anywhere -- do work like that? I just read somewhere on this site that lithium batteries, when they are perfected, will be lighter. Would that make a difference for a car like mine? If no one does this kind of conversion now, will someone be doing it in the future?

I too have daydreamed about

I too have daydreamed about a hybrid conversion... but with a twist.

Maybe you've already seen internal combustion "pusher" trailers that enable electric vehicles to travel distances beyond their normal electric range.

But what about the reverse: an electric trailer for pushing a conventional internal combustion vehicle. It's something I've Googled high and low, but haven't seen anyone try (and, yes, maybe that speaks to the practicality of the idea).

I'm an aficionado of the often maligned but efficient Geo Metro. I'm sure a 10-15 hp electric motorized trailer, self contained with a batteries included, would suffice for propelling a car its size at low (i.e. suburban) speeds.

At least in my circumstance (I live in a small town), the range wouldn't even need to be that great. I'd be more than happy with 15-20 km.

And when not needed or wanted (e.g. highway trips, snowy winter conditions), it could be disconnected, thus avoiding the penalty of propelling around the added weight of the motor and batteries. It could also be shared between several vehicles in a household, and "follow" its owner who buys a different car.

Depending on the complexity of the design, charging could come from the grid (making it a PHEV trailer), off-grid, or through regeneration.

Of course the challenges are many: it would be suitable probably only for small cars; it would require an extra set of controls in the host vehicle (as do the EV pusher trailers); the driver would have to be comfortable maneuvering a vehicle/trailer combo.

It's not something I'm planning to undertake, although mainly for lack of finances and time than lack of interest or aptitude.

Thought I'd put it out there anyway.

Darin

I like the elecric pusher trailer concept to help double my fuel mileage. What do you see as the major drawbacks?