+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Creating a hybrid from a

Creating a hybrid from a classic would not be that hard really but, fuel injection may be necessary.
    A controller system for all the components involved would be required though.
    Really, a person would need a transfer case to mate electric motor to the drivetrain at the end of the transmission. An automatic transmission would be best.
    Battery capacity would only need be as much as required to contain the energy recovered from braking from 60mph to 0. Don't forget the vehicle's weight in that consideration.

Mode of operation:

1. Stopping: You hit the brakes only hard enough to light the tail lights. The controller tells the motor to become a generator and starts to charge the batteries while you decelerate. Once the system see braking for 3 seconds, the engine is shut off for the coast to the stop. The rate of deceleration would have to be determined. Once the vehicle is too slow for regenerative braking, the mechanical brakes would be fully applied.
    (if you need Vac for the brake booster, perhaps a vacuum reservoir or an aux pump may be required.)

2. Idle: The vehicle has stopped and the engine is not running. A throttle position sensor on the engine would be required in order to control the electric motor. Fuel injection would be a good idea on car anyways.

3. Acceleration: Once a person hits the throttle, the electric motor does the work of coming up to speed again. The gasoline engine is either started by the starter or, by the vehicle's motion. Based on throttle position, the electric motor can bring the vehicle to speed or assist the gasoline engine.

Not a hard concept and an inclined person could likely find all the parts required to do this.
    My plan is to eventually do this to a BIG Chrysler (60s Imperial or Newport comes to mind).

I like the idea of a big car getting 40+ mpg in town.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

ok. i have a 2000 mercury

ok. i have a 2000 mercury sable i love to see if you can do something to this car. can it be a hybrid switch.

the question was asking if

the question was asking if you could convert your car to a hybrid- not electric. "Anonymous" your answer was very valid, if the questionee was asking if it was possibe to make their car electric. hybrid is half half gas, you dont take out the gas tank and put in a thousand pounds of bateries so that your car can run on gas- electric.

yes it is possible to convert your car to hybrid- without having to do anything of what you just said.....

the question was asking if

the question was asking if you could convert your car to a hybrid- not electric. "Anonymous" your answer was very valid, if the questionee was asking if it was possibe to make their car electric. hybrid is half half gas, you dont take out the gas tank and put in a thousand pounds of bateries so that your car can run on gas- electric.

yes it is possible to convert your car to hybrid- without having to do anything of what you just said.....

Yes you can you can cut your

Yes you can you can cut your driveshaft if you have one and hook a motor to it

CNN had a story last year

CNN had a story last year about a fellow in NJ who was doing just that: converting any car to a hybrid. Wish I could remember who or where this fellow is.

Belloso Motors, a small

Belloso Motors, a small start-up company focused on innovations in hybrid technology, is currently working on inexpensive means to develop a fuel efficient power train for motor vehicles, including means to convert current vehicles into hybrid vehicles in the least expensive way, involving the least modifications. We are also testing the use of an auxiliary engine (instead of an electric motor) for additional power for acceleration, in a vehicle whose primary engine has been down-sized (for econoical cruising). For more details, please browse the homepage above, and email me your comments. Or you may also google my name (as inventor) for some of our currently patented innovations.
    G. B.

I have thought about this

I have thought about this question a lot and have the perfect vehicle for such a conversion, a 2007 Dodge Nitro 4x4. It is a rear wheel drive mid sized SUV with an electronically controlled transfer case to engage the 4wheel drive function and has a large section of the rear floor that slides out partially to reveal a shallow storage area. My thinking is that I would keep the original 274hp 4.0L V6 gasoline engine to push the rear wheels and obtain two wheel hub electric motors to use on the two front wheels, instead of the existing 4wheel drive system components and the existing electric switch that currently activates the 4wheel drive system would be used to switch from hybrid mode to electric only mode. The rear floor area that partially slides out would be used to access a new battery box that would be welded below that opening where the spare tire currently resides. I need to confirm what type of Hybrid components are currently used in the Toyota Highlander & Lexus RX Hybrids and determine if they can be used in my conversion, as the vehicles are approx. the same size and weight. If possible use what ever computer is used in the Toyota Highlander, or Lexus RX Hybrid to control the power switching between the V6 and electric motors, as well as the regenerative braking and plug-in battery charging, plus solar trickle charging from rooftop mounted solar panels. Although more expensive, I would prefer using 100+ Li-ion batteries like those used for laptop computers, all tied together. That is as far as my ideas have taken me, now I need to complete the research to find out: 1. How much the Hybrid parts and computer would cost me from a wrecking yard for the Toyota, or Lexus (maybe Ford Escape SUV parts would also work). 2. To find a mechanic that has experience in re-programming automobile control computers that would be willing to work on this project and how much he would charge. 3. If any DMV regulations would be required to be met and what, if any fees would have to be paid. 4. Lastly, I would need to determine the cost of the batteries and their life span before they would need to be replaced, so I could determine if the project is cost effective.

I really like my Nitro RT 4x4 and in the small rural resort town that I live in, I could probably drive on battery power alone most of the time, as the valley is only 25 miles long from one end to the other, but would need to engage the V6 gasoline motor if I left the main highway that runs through the center of the valley floor and drove up any of the side streets that are sloped more than a few degrees. I would also need the V6 gasoline engine for driving up the mountain to reach this resort valley perched at 7,000 ft above Sea Level, but could coast most of the way down the mountain, charging the batteries, on my trips down the mountain. I would use both gas and electric motors during the Winter in the snow.

i am an engg. student

i am an engg. student pursuing electrical and electronics engg strem in India. actually, we are planning to make a 2-wheeler(or 3-wheeler) hybrid vehicle as our engg project, co-incidentally with the same ideas what you have mentioned i.e, solar panel, electric motor along batteries etc...,
    If possible, could you please guide us in the construction point of view? about the capacity of the motor, battery capacity, expected mileage, cost analysis for the project....
    my mail id is: satishsahas7997@gmil.com

I certainly admire your

I certainly admire your efforts. I am looking out for the
    upcoming writing. Thanks a bunch for posting your information.