+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My hybrid Prius dash lights

My hybrid Prius dash lights did not go on when I started the car. It is 25 degrees here in Michigan. The headlights were on, so I drove to work, as usual. When I got there I turned off the car, then turned it on again, and the dash lights came on. I remember this happening once last winter, and the lights came back on after a few miles( when the the car warmed up).I think it is a conservation of the battery charge. Anyone know about this?
    Luckily, I am a pretty good judge of how fast I am driving.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

there is that little

there is that little thumbwheel brightness control for the dash lights on the left of the steering wheel. Did you try rotating it up and down, to see if that would make the dash lights come on? A bad dimmer switch might be "temperature sensitive".

I've driven my 2005 Prius in

I've driven my 2005 Prius in Massachusetts and central Connecticut, and parked outside all winter in Connecticut, with absolutely no problem. But last night was its first taste of below 0 F weather, in Kansas; it went to 6 below and the car was parked outside all night. When I started it this morning, it starte and could reverse with no problem, but when I attempted to put the car into Drive, it would slip to Neutral of its own accord. If I manually held it in Drive, iit drove. After about 20 minutes, it stayed in Drive. Mileage did not seem to be affected any more than usual. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems in below-zero weather.

I haven't had to start up in

I haven't had to start up in subzero weather. My coldest starts have been around 12F with no problems. I did drive through a couple places with 1F temperatures, but the car was warmed up and didn't give me any problems.

I have a 2001 and it has a

I have a 2001 and it has a problem starting when below freezing. It's the computer. Toyota knows the classic prius was built with a defective computer, but they haven't recalled it. It's not cheap to fix, either. I've been holding off; the car always starts eventually. Toyota should take responsibility since they know it's a problem. But judging by their latest issues, it seems ignoring defects is their standard m.o.

Lisa: I have a 2002 Prius

Lisa: I have a 2002 Prius and it does have starting problems as well during cold days. You mentioned it is not cheap to fix it. What has to be fixed? and who quoted it?
    This winter, my battery finally is going bad. (bad cells). As I drive, my car or engine stalls and seem to rev up; I lose power and have to pull over and turn off / on my car completely, to reset whatever was causing the engine to rev up. I know the car has no transmission. I am trying to understand the problem.
    Thanks, SM

Lisa, I have a 2002 Prius

Lisa, I have a 2002 Prius and has the same starting problem in cold freezing days. Do you know what needs to be fixed? My car battery is dying out. As i drive my car the engine suddenly stalls or revs up, and loose motin power. I have to pull over and turn off/on my car, and the problem goes away temporarely. I need a lot of help. Sergio

Actually, some scan tool in

Actually, some scan tool in repair shops allow to customize preferable interior temperature for Toyota/Lexus models. It should be very useful in cold/hot days. If the repair shop owns OEM equipment or factory-level scan tool such as pq-TLS, I'd like to try this shop first.

I live in New Hampshire

I live in New Hampshire (USA) and last fall bought a 2001 Prius. As winter set in the temps got down a bit below 0 F. Had no problems starting or getting around in the snow. Gas mileage took a bit of a hit dropping from 48 to 42 mostly going to work 11 miles away. Figured it was due to the longer warm ups and looked into getting a block heater. Before buying one I did some calcs and figured out that the fuel saved would just about pay for the electricity saved. IOW I would never recover the cost of the heater. While looking around I did find a site that recomended blocking off the lower air inlet with foam and tape. Doing that cut the warm up time to half or less and got the mpg back to 46-47.

BTW I have been using 5w-30 synthetic oil but am going to try 0w-30 next fall. I have heard of others using 0w-20 but have heard that the engine may use oil because it is too thin.

Anyone who says that the

Anyone who says that the Prius is anything less than dangerous in slush and snow just hasn't driven it in the conditions that cause every Prius - even with great snow tires - to come to a complete halt and unable to move. I have a 2004 Prius and have driven it through 6 New England winters. The simple fact is that if you find yourself in any situation that causes the wheels to spin in slush or snow the traction control will apply braking to the wheels. If you are on a flat or only slightly inclined surface the intermittent braking will allow the wheels to regain some traction after briefly braking them when wheel spin is sensed. this will allow the car to move haltingly forward. However, if you find yourself going up a steep incline or in snow 4-5 inches deep, the traction control will keep applying/releasing the brakes every couple of seconds,thereby slowing the momentum you need to power up the hill or through the deeper snow even with some wheel spin - as every other car will allow you to do. So, when the system finally brings you to a complete halt on an icy hill, and you try to accelerate, of course the tires are going to need to spin a bit to pull you from a dead stop to a forward motion on a slippery surface. In a normal car, not a big deal. But in a Prius - forget it. The second the wheels spin the brakes are applied and so you go nowhere! One result is that you block every car behind you making it so that they too lose momentum and must try to pass you from a dead stop up a snow hill - which on a road with a single lane in each direction means they must somehow cross in to opposing traffic and pass you from a dead stop on an icy steep hill. This doesn't make you very popular.

In addition, may people don't know that the Prius can only move in reverse in electric mode - the CVT transmission is not capable of applying engine power in reverse. This means that in situations where the car is parked on ice or snow and must reverse to get out, the electric motor does not have the power to back you up - especially if parked on an incline. On top of that, if the electric motor engages the wheels and they spin, the brake is automatically applied, leaving you pushing on a wet noodle of an accelerator pedal.

The situation I have described is not just a description of my unique experience, it is an engineering fact and limitation of all Prius' that goes way beyond snow tires. Sure, good snow tires will help the wheels spin less and thereby not engage the traction control as frequently, but no snow tires can eliminate all wheel slippage. So, I have to conclude that those who rave about Prius in snow have not yet found themselves a steep icy hill with traffic behind them.

I know much has been made of the electronic braking anomaly in the 2010 Prius and Toyota then recalled them - after first denying the problem existed. But I believe that the traction control problem in snow is an extremely dangerous flaw and should also require a recall.