+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tzor: Don't diss the Prius

Tzor: Don't diss the Prius electric motor. Even though it's only 40 horsepower. Because of the way horsepower is calculated, the electric motor actually produces MORE torque than a gas engine at low speed.

Maybe you don't get "real" snow in Long Isand, but here in Upstate NY, we do get real snow. And the Prius is MORE than capable of dealing with snow and ice.

The only shortcoming of the Prius is the low ground clearance. I can't bulldoze my way thru deep snow the way the old SUV could. But then again, the SUV got 1/4 the mileage of a Prius.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

It sounds like I have a

It sounds like I have a problem similar to the one Darryl posted 3 years ago. My 2002 Prius does not start normally after a night below freezing. The electric system seems to work fine, but the gas engine does not start, and I see a lot of "problem" lights, including Check Engine. If I drive a couple of miles on electric only, stop and turn off the car for a few seconds, restart it, the gas engine will then start normally, although the problem lights remain. Then, the next time I turn the car off, after 20 miles or so, and restart, all the problem light go off.

This happened the one time I drove to a cold area (Sierras) last year, and I ignored it (did not go to dealer). However, it just happened this past weekend in my once-a-year ski trip.

Any idea if this is a wide spread problem? Will the dealer be able to help if there are currently no problem lights on?

If you have "problem" lights

If you have "problem" lights showing on the dash then you DO have trouble codes being saved in the computer.

Have a mechanic (or friend with the equipment) plug into the OBDII plug, and get a readout of the trouble codes in the computer.

You need data to make a decision.

One other thought: the Prius

One other thought: the Prius does NOT have a separate starter motor, like a normal car.

The big 40 Hp drive motor IS the starter motor. It runs from the big 200V drive battery.

the 12v battery is there ONLY for the computer, headlights, etc.

If you can drive the car around on the electric drive motor, then the computer, 200V battery, 12V battery, and drive/starter electric motor are all running fine.

Get the computer codes readout.

Since temperature seems to

Since temperature seems to be an issue, I just did what I have done with regular cars previously - closed off a portion of the radiator and Voila! - My Prius in its first full winter is now returning summer mileage figures. Getting better heat into the interior as well. Previously these closed radiators were OK till the outside temp. reached 50 degreees. Will keep you posted.

I have problem in my Toyota

I have problem in my Toyota Prius 1999 on the coldest weather light about turtle & Warning

I live in Prague and the

I live in Prague and the winter can be quite nasty here. So far I haven't driven in the winter so much in my Prius, but the performance is the same or better than all the other cars I'd had. Milege, yes... it drinks a bit more, but I believe it's mainly due to the longer warm up more usu of the heating.

Last night I had something a bit rare and it was that the antifreeze of the windscreen washer got frozen.... but IN THE PIPES. It had happened to my old Mitsubishi Colt in 2006... the worst winter I can remember but it was ok after the engene warmed them up. But in the Prius... it didn't happen till I put it in the garage for a few minutes.

Sounds chilly. Do you have a

Sounds chilly. Do you have a block heater for the Prius? Very good accessory for sub-zero conditions that gives the "warm up" a good head start.

Some times when I put the

Some times when I put the car in reverse the steering wheel shakes really hard usually if I don't let care warm up completely. does anyone else have same problem?

I have a 2003 Prius and the

I have a 2003 Prius and the ONLY problem I have is last winter and now this winter it won't start on cold days. We took it to the dealer last year and they ran the computer but it was inconclusive and they suspected water in the gas line. We put STP in and it does seem to solve the problem. I just hate not knowing if it will start.