+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Benefits

Hybrid Benefits

We recently purchased a FEH - we love it. When we bought it, the sales person told us that we would get to drive in the carpool lane, get a one time Federal write off of $2000 and a yearly State (California) write off of $2000. In doing research, I cannot find anything about the FEH being able to drive solo in the carpool lane or about the yearly $2000 write off for State - did find that the Federal write off was true. Anyone have any input on these? Thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hybrid Benefits

The Fed tax incentive is a deduction, so you don't get $2000 off your taxes, but rather a percentage of that based on your tax bracket... it will probably around a few hundred dollars.

I can't speak for CA, but here in NY we get a $2000 tax credit which means the full $2000 off. I don't know what "yearly" means, but if it's like NY, it might mean that if you owe less than $2000, you can claim as much as required next year and the balance will carry over to be used in later years (so in the end you do wind up getting the full $2000).

There's much more info if you look in the Incentives & Laws section of this site.

Hybrid Benefits

the salesman lied to you!

the law for using the car pool lane is up to the government for acceptance. elsewhere in this discussion group is that specific topic.

the yearly $2000 write off for california is a complete lie. there's only a one time deduction, and it's pretty small for 2005 now.

see ya

Hybrid Benefits

Hi Nelly-
    Congrats on your new FEH! We got ours 11/04 and have really enjoyed it. We took the $2,000 clean air deduction on our 2004 federal taxes (for 2005 it will be $1500), and when we transferred our info into the California sched. A on Turbo Tax, the deduction was wiped out by our other itemized deductions...the California sched. A limits are pretty severe. That said, I'm still glad I got the car, and filling up every other week rather than every week is benefit enough for me. Too bad your salesperson didn't know the facts!

Our wonderful Assembly member of the 41st district (Santa Monica/Agoura/Calabasas), FRAN PAVLEY, wrote Bill 2628, which seeks to allow hybrids access to the carpool lanes in CA. Because the Feds. put out the money for these lanes, they control them and this issue will need to go to Congress. Pavley updates her site with info on her bill at
    http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/mem...t2.htm?hybrids

Hybrid Benefits

While I like Pavley intentions, the road to you know where is paved with good intentions. Pavley and others are following this 'established' figure for some reason. We need more rational thinking in determining which hybrids offer the greatest improvement that will allow people to use 'normal' styled (vans, SUVS, pickups) vehicles.

I find her 45 MPG cutoff arbirtrary. Check out Walter's (Univ. of Mich Transportation King) treatment of hybrid models and gas savings....
    Basic idea is that the Hybrid Escape 4WD saves the most gas per hundred miles and that gallons saved (versus conventional engine, same class of car) per mile is the proper way to view hybrid.

His Blog entry is from Jan 24,2005 at the below link (there is a great chart comparing models)...

http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/blog...th=1&year=2005

Hybrid Benefits

I think the 45mpg limit for carpool lanes in CA is just fine, even though I won't benefit.

Hybrid sales are up 81% across the country from last year (According to today's AP). There is serious concern of over-crowding the commuter lanes in CA (this is already an issue in Virginia) with single-occupant vehicles. Are most people purchasing FEH's doing so for solo commutes? I didn't buy mine for commuting (freelancer), but rather for family trips. If I did commute, I would have considered the Prius or Civic. I don't think putting a higher limit on mpg is such a bad thing, and I'm sure Pavley was well-advised.

Hybrid Benefits

wait a minute - highest number of galons saved per mile makes for a better hybrid? watch out! figure don't lie but liers can figure!

so if they come out with a hummer-hybrid, that might be classified as the best hybrid on the market based on what's *saved*? verses a regular hummer?

that's close to the argument that buying more stuff that's on sale is a *savings*. put out a major gas gussler, then a hybrid version, and boast some 300% increase in gas savings over the gussler?

why NOT consider maximum miles on minimal gas as a better measure?

meanwhile i agree that pavely's 45 miles per gallon is somewhat arbitray. but it has also added to local hybrid demand just in case her bill gets fully approved. which was what her bill was/is all about. another form of incentive. while it's actually a cheaper form then the tax breaks, it might be proved to be the better one.

see ya

steve

Hybrid Benefits

Thanks to all who applied. I didn't buy a hybrid to drive in the carpool lane, I was just curious if I was being lied to buy the sales person - and apparently I was. Have a great day!! Drive safe and use your blinkers!!

Hybrid Benefits

Thanks to all who replied. I didn't buy a hybrid to drive in the carpool lane, I was just curious if I was being lied to by the sales person - and apparently I was. Have a great day!! Drive safe and use your blinkers!!

Hybrid Benefits

Hybrids are too expensive but at the end if you keep it in good conditinons the money will add up to your wallet becuse u save alot on gas.