+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Prius Battery

hey, I have a '01 Prius with

hey, I have a '01 Prius with 106K miles on it, never a problem and I figure I've saved over $12,000 in gas compared to my husband's car (with 104K miles on it). Don't knock the Prius!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Also have 2002 prius

Also have 2002 prius 110,000k. PS main bat car ! What did you do?

Dear vw lover, The prize you

Dear vw lover,

The prize you talked about are based on votes from magazines.
    These magazines receive money from vw.

The prizes are not based on facts but on votes.

Btw
    The green car of the year was not a diesel.

The battery in my 2001 Prius

The battery in my 2001 Prius died today at 70K miles and I was surprised to discover a/the replacement cost is $3700 including installation and b/Toyota has no intention of paying for any of it.

If I had waited a couple of years to buy the same model I would have a 10 year warranty, but Toyota penalized the early adopters by giving us an 8 year warranty. The replacement I am purchasing is warranted for only 12 months so I presume the problem is with the engineering of those early vehicles, not the battery itself.

Needless to say I am not a happy camper. I've recommended Prius to dozens of people (our car was even on the front page of the SF Chronicle back in 2001, as a poster child for green driving) and now this is my payback.

Otis, Sorry to hear of the

Otis,
    Sorry to hear of the battery issue.

If cost is the issue, there are less expensive ways to replace your battery than the dealer.

Are you in the SF Bay Area?

If so contact me via my contact page here on hybridcars.com and I can point you in the right direction.

My estimation is that the independent mechanics can replace it for half that cost.

--
    Eric Powers
    HybridCars.com Moderator
    Green Drive Expo Organizer (See you there!)

Had a similar experience.

Had a similar experience. The car was fine in the morning then at the next attempt to start, it did not start and the dash lights were all haywire (some lights were on, some lights were off, but not normal). I measured the rear 12V battery and it was 7.5V (way low). Jumping the 12V battery started the car. I then replaced the 12V battery (which is a pain) and the car worked fine.

I own a 2000 Honda Insight

I own a 2000 Honda Insight and have just been given the death sentence for my 2nd rear battery. (Integrated motor Assist is no longer with us.) The first went at 104,000 miles. I have 238,500 miles on it now. The indicator for the battery is half down now. I'm wondering if ithe car stops 100% when the battery is 100% discharged. I'm stalling (hills and all) and the car can't be restarted unless I take my key out of the ignition before trying to restart. I have a thing about good mileage, call it OCD, and, don't throw things, I'm thinking about a VW Gulf TDI. Can't pay for one right now, and haven't been able to find a used one for sale since getting the news, and I imagine it's because who would part with the things? You can convert them to biodiesel, I understand, and there is no problem with the old battery graveyard pollution. I suspect the net pollution from the turbodiesel will be comparable to my battery dying Insight. I have always run my vehicles until they can't be run anymore. Does an Insight have to have the rear battery (MVA) working for the gas powered to work?

You got 135,000 miles on the

You got 135,000 miles on the 2nd battery. That is about average for Insights. Here is a trick to possibly solve the problem of stalling during auto-stop. Relearn your battery. The easy way is to disconnect the 12V battery for a minute. When you restart the car, hold the idle at 3500-4000 RPM until the battery gauge reads half full. This will take about a minute. Contact me directly if it doesn't help.

Yes, if all else fails you can bypass the battery pack and drive the car on 100% ICE. Again, contact me.

Ron, Good ideas. me, Ron

Ron,
    Good ideas.

me,
    Ron Hansen's user profile on hybridcars.com is hybrid-battery-repair .
    Looks like he was not signed in when he left you that message.
    Ron's web site is hybrid-battery-repair.com
    --
    Eric Powers
    HybridCars.com Moderator
    Green Drive Expo Organizer (See you there!)

It makes me laugh when i

It makes me laugh when i read about the crap you 'green' drivers have to put up with driving these hybrids. My last car was a 1992 citroen zx turbo diesel. Over a hundred thousand miles on the clock. Over two weekends and the week in between, i averaged 54 miles per gallon. The first weekend i went to Brands Hatch which was around 320 miles. Then normal driving to and from work during the week and then the next wekend we were racing at Croft. Around 190 miles each way. After leaving Croft i had to fill up to save doing it on the motorway. Taking in to account of the miles since the last fill up and what it took to brim the tank it averaged at 54 miles per gallon. AND that was at around 80 miles an hour on the motorway! It had never done less than 40 miles per gallon. I bought it second hand for 600 and ran it for four years and spent no more 300 on it. It was regularly serviced by myself with regular oil and filter changes. Lets see a prius beat that!