+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Prius Battery

A Prius always starts moving

A Prius always starts moving on battery power and engages the gasoline engine when acceleration requires it, The speed at which this happens varies by model and load. At 90,000 miles the car should have no problems but is approaching the limit of the hybrid battery warranty. The battery should last close to 200,000 miles but some have failed around 120,000. Driving a hybrid is different from driving an ordinary car. Watch the Consumption Display and it will help you get the best results. Good luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Greetings mentors..... just

Greetings mentors..... just purchased a used '04 Prius with 84,000 miles on it. Wondering:1) what is best way to have 12v battery health assessed? 2) Is it normal to have no windows, radio, lights able to function unless power is on (after button pressed/brake pressed)? 3) Is it normal for gas engine to always kick on within ten(or so) seconds even when stopped still. Or should the engine start only after accelerator is first pressed (R or D)? Many Thanks!

Greetings mentors..... just

Greetings mentors..... just purchased a used '04 Prius with 84,000 miles on it. Wondering:1) what is best way to have 12v battery health assessed? 2) Is it normal to have no windows, radio, lights able to function unless power is on (after button pressed/brake pressed)? 3) Is it normal for gas engine to always kick on within ten(or so) seconds even when stopped still. Or should the engine start only after accelerator is first pressed (R or D)? Many Thanks!

Had a strange thing happen

Had a strange thing happen today. My hybrid could only run in electric mode, but my fuel gage read over 1/4 full. I used battery power to to a gas station and fueled the car. It ran and I made it home. Does anyone know what would have caused this? Is it drivable?

TD: If your car died with

TD: If your car died with the gas gauge reading 1/4 tank, it means your car ran out of gas, and the GAUGE IS WRONG. This is an extremely common complaint about the Priii equipped with the flexible bladder fuel tanks. The fuel gauges are NOT TO BE TRUSTED.

Is it REALLY that much trouble to refuel the car when it gets below half tank?

My Prius gets MORE miles driven on half tank than any other car I owned ever got on a full tank.

Ithican:

1. ANY car battery (including Prius) can only be quantitatively tested by a battery load tester. BUT if you want "quick and dirty". Get a voltage meter. Fully charged the battery should be in the range of 12.25 to 12.5 volts. Then turn the headlights on WITHOUT starting the car. Does the battery voltage drop in 15 or 30 minutes? A good battery should hold the headlights for at least 30 minutes with over 11 volts left. Also, check the battery voltage after the car has been parked for 2-3 days, and make sure the battery voltage is not dropping as the car is parked.

2. Your Prius should have "accessory" functions in the power button. Read the owner's manual. On my 2008, when you press the power button WITHOUT touching the brake pedal, the car cycles from "accessory 1" (radio) to "accessory 2" (windows, wipers, radio) to "off" every time you push the power button.

3. Yes. the gas engine always starts shortly after the car powers up, UNLESS you select the "electric mode only" switch when starting the car. NOTE: North American Prius DOES NOT HAVE the "electric mode only" switch. It's only on the Prius sold in Japan. USA and Canada forced Toyota to warrenty the battery for 100,000 miles, so the electric mode only function was deleted to extend battery life.

I drive a 2005 prius with

I drive a 2005 prius with about 79,000 mile. The red triangle of doom has started coming on indicating the headlight in the message. Headlights are fine. Afraid to go to dealer, $$$$

Thinking of buying an 04

Thinking of buying an 04 Prius with 100k. Can the main power battery($4000) one be tested to tell it condition? Thanks

I read in the manual that

I read in the manual that you could not tow, two or four wheels down! Maybe this is your problem.

Just discovered my 2007

Just discovered my 2007 Prius was dead as a door nail after sitting overnight in 60 degree Arizona winter weather. Dealer's say get your wallet out for $170- @268. Havent corrected the problem on this 46k mile Prius yet but am turned off at the pricey quotes for a lawnmower size 12 volt that no AUTO PARTS STORES SEEM TO SELL.

Resoh02, Nice calculations,

Resoh02,
    Nice calculations, I didnt see any mention of the millions a day spent on combat missions in Iraq or other oil rich nations that we are sending our petro dollars to so ithat n return THEY CAN TRY TO KILL US. If I can save one American life by not sending my money over there, that is worth far more than any savings as calculated in your previous post. BTW Clean air is a nice bonus.