+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Prius Battery

I have a 2007 Prius. I was

I have a 2007 Prius. I was in an accident Friday night. While waiting for the police to arrive I had my flashers on. After 25-30 minutes the battery died. I had no power whatsoever, could not even roll up the window. Does anyone know how that will affect the battery performance? Can it simply be recharged, or will I end up needing a new battery? I have 87000 miles on the car. Thanks!

Lisa O

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

LisaO, In reading about this

LisaO,

In reading about this car (I dont own one), it appears there are two batteries that one has to be aware of with this hybrid car. One is a small 12v battery used for starting the car and apparently the other accessories including windows, flashers, radio, cigarette adaptor, etc. And then theres the big 200v battery used to power the electric drive motor. They seem to have the idea that the car will always be either moving or running off the gas motor to keep both batteries charged. In the cases where the car isnt moving and is using power, the little 12v battery doesnt have much capacity to last long doing things we got used to running off larger 12v gas car batteries. This means it doesnt take long to run it down. Im sure a battery boost or recharge will bring the smaller 12v battery back to normal. But after reading this thread, you have to be careful how you charge it else you might cause damage and even void your warrantee. Dont assume AAA guys or your good neighbor know what they are doing if they dont own a hybrid. What amazes me, is that they dont provide a switch to a circuit that charges/boosts the 12v battery from the 200v main drive battery for emergencies. Maybe they do, Im still learning about these cars myself. I doubt your main battery is affected by running down your 12v battery. Hybrid owners here can chime in and correct me if Im wrong.

This is a pretty good read

This is a pretty good read on the multiple batteries on board a Prius:

http://hybridcarsbattery.info/prius-battery-recharge

Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the responses guys!

Lisa

Hi Lisa, We have been using

Hi Lisa,
    We have been using prius. By reading your post, I think your 12v. small battery is run down. Jusr charge this and you should be fine. BTW you did not mentioned, if the accident had any damage to your car?

Hi AV8R. Glad to meet

Hi AV8R.
    Glad to meet someone considering a non-tree hugger like me.
    I bought my 2005 Prius new. I now have 150,000 miles (trouble free) on it. My wife and I have taken it through every one of the contiguous United States and through most of the Canadian Provinces. We have been coast to coast 3 times, taken the speed up to 106 mph three times (Montana and Nevada) and the only thing replaced have been tires. I always use synthetic oil and never go over 8,000 miles without changing it. Since the engine duty cycle is approximately 60 gas 40 electric, even with regular oil, Toyota recommends changing the oil at 5000 miles instead of the normal 3000 for normal gas engines.
    I bought this car because I'm a techie and although I like the "green" aspect of the car, that is far from being my primary concern. My wife doesn't drive so when we pull off at rest areas when we get tired, we put both seats all the way back, close off the windows, bring out the pillows and sleep comfortably for a couple of hours before continuing our trip. Running the air conditioner all the time with the car closed up is no problem since it's electric and carbon monoxide poisoning is of no concern.
    This is the best car that we have ever owned (I'm 74 and retired). I am about to trade it in for another Prius modified with a rechargeable battery pack that will allow between 20 to 40 miles in electric only mode. Great for local shopping and local gadding about plus no other restrictions on long distance traveling when we want to.
    My advice is find a good local mechanic that you can trust and NEVER take the car to a Toyota dealership unless it's in warranty. We have had three tanks at over 600 mile range and several at 400 mile range but most between 450 and 550 miles per tank.
    If you do purchase one, I hope you enjoy it as much as we have and expect to with our next one.
    Good luck
    Pat.

Hi AV8R. Glad to meet

Hi AV8R.
    Glad to meet someone considering a non-tree hugger like me.
    I bought my 2005 Prius new. I now have 150,000 miles (trouble free) on it. My wife and I have taken it through every one of the contiguous United States and through most of the Canadian Provinces. We have been coast to coast 3 times, taken the speed up to 106 mph three times (Montana and Nevada) and the only thing replaced have been tires. I always use synthetic oil and never go over 8,000 miles without changing it. Since the engine duty cycle is approximately 60 gas 40 electric, even with regular oil, Toyota recommends changing the oil at 5000 miles instead of the normal 3000 for normal gas engines.
    I bought this car because I'm a techie and although I like the "green" aspect of the car, that is far from being my primary concern. My wife doesn't drive so when we pull off at rest areas when we get tired, we put both seats all the way back, close off the windows, bring out the pillows and sleep comfortably for a couple of hours before continuing our trip. Running the air conditioner all the time with the car closed up is no problem since it's electric and carbon monoxide poisoning is of no concern.
    This is the best car that we have ever owned (I'm 74 and retired). I am about to trade it in for another Prius modified with a rechargeable battery pack that will allow between 20 to 40 miles in electric only mode. Great for local shopping and local gadding about plus no other restrictions on long distance traveling when we want to.
    My advice is find a good local mechanic that you can trust and NEVER take the car to a Toyota dealership unless it's in warranty. We have had three tanks at over 600 mile range and several at 400 mile range but most between 450 and 550 miles per tank.
    If you do purchase one, I hope you enjoy it as much as we have and expect to with our next one.
    Good luck
    Pat.

Bill - just check Consumer

Bill - just check Consumer Reports and see how many black circles you see for Ford Explorers and how many you see for the Prius.
    Real-life data.
    End of story.

hi all is there anybody who

hi all is there anybody who can help me with my 1998 nhw10 prius? please help? please help? please help? i'm from mongolia , darkhan city

After going through 2

After going through 2 batteries in my 2003 Prius-I replaced it with an Optimus yellow top. Problem solved.