+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Prius Battery

Prius Battery

Hmmm, In Japan and Europe there is a button that makes the Prius "battery only" yet that feature is not implimented here. Hmmm, one can order the part if you have a friend in Japan or Europe, apparently, Priuschat has a post on how to install it on US cars, Seems to me that if all you have to do is add a switch, then the fried battery service guy needs a new job, like a used car salesman.

Next time I'm near my dealer I'm going to drop in and ask.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Prius Battery

we have a 2003 prius in the uk and it does have an EV switch - instruction book suggests using it when moving in a multistory car park.
    often use battery only in traffic. usually manage low 50 mpg (imperial gallon)

Prius Battery

Just bought a new 2006 prius and it has an ev botton, battery only , i taxi this car and on ev around town its great when the battery reaches 20 per cent left it starts the engine and charges back up seems foolproof thers a 100,000 mile warranty on hybrid so il be making sure the system is well tested before the warranty runs out cheers jim

Prius Battery

Jim,

I assume that you are in Europe? I've heard that the European Pri'ii (Priuses?) have this feature but Toyota intentionally removed it from the US versions.

Prius Battery

The non-USA Priuses have an EV (electric vehicle) mode button. But they also have the ability to be plugged in at night for a recharge. In EV mode, the car cannot exceed 37 mph. That's simply the fastest the electric motor can turn. I do remember reading (from Toyota) that the Prius is not able to operate without gasoline. I guess there are people here that can attest to the opposite. Now, I know that from 2004, the Prius essentially transformed into a radically improved version. Nonetheless, a 2001 battery should not "fry." I mean, how brainless would Toyota have to be to run the risk of battery leakage or fire due to an overheating/"frying" of the battery just because you run out of gas. That's not THAT rare of an occurrence. I TOTALLY think your dealer is ripping you off. Call a lawyer after reading you owners manual and get reimbursed!

Prius Battery

I am concerned about the longevity of the Prius hybrid battery in the desert. I live in Las Vegas. In general, batteries do not do well in Las Vegas. Regular batteries (D-cell, AA) do not do well, cell phone batteries do not do well, and regular car batteries do not do well. They have a much shorter life than in more temperate climates.

I recently heard a second hand report that makes me worried about the Prius Hybrid batteries. A care salesman told me that a mechanic who tends a small fleet of Prius's (whose name I don't know) has found that at about 3 years, they tend to get a lot of false warnings. They try to figure out what is going on, and can't track down the problem. When they replace the hybrid battery, and the problems all go away.

I have been trying to find some objective evidence regarding the performance of the Prius Hybrid batteries in the desert. Does anyone have this information, or know where I should go?

Prius Battery

I have a two week old 2006 Prius. It has gone stone cold dead twice already. This time it's been in the shop 24 hours, so far. Has anyone had this problem with a new '06? Was it the 12V battery?

I suspect that's my problem, since the main pack is still about 40-50% charged after I have Toyoguard's roadside assistance people jump it.

Prius Battery

The 12v battery in my 2004 Prius has failed twice. Fortunately the doors appear to unlock automatically when the 12 v battery fails -- otherwise you would need a rock to get into the car. I had just driven the car a few hours before and when I returned to the car everything was dead. Both times I was able to get the car running using jumper cables. One word of warning --you cannot clip a jumper cable onto the tiny red bolt that is provided for jumping the battery -- so always have a piece of 12 or 14 ga. bare wire along to make a connection between the post and the jumper cable

Prius Battery

No url

Prius Battery

More info on the battey tender. Where do you purchase one? Brand name, please. How do you attach it?