+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gas-gulping Hybrids

bob's Blog

bob:

while the donation of GM hybrids may be a marketing ploy, the fact that the hybrids are getting spread around is good news.

the sierra's use as generator for field tools may be their best functional use, but these cars will continue to show their value & possibly sway more people toward using them.

it's a good start!

see ya

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Gas-gulping Hybrids

I agree. And of course large trucks are gas guzzlers... you can't use a Prius or an Escape for the job they're designed for... so why does GM get hounded for making them?

Gas-gulping Hybrids

I think Bob is right.. GM is completely missing the market. Its almost embarrassing. Its like they will only come to the alternative energy party on their terms, no matter where consumer behavior is going. Maybe next they'll do a Hummer H2 hybrid where the battery is really used to power spinning hubcaps, underbody lights, and sony play stations. The Hummer H2 Hybrid will get 8 mpg instead of 7 mpg and will be affectionately known as the H3.

BTW, Have any of you seen the new Honda Ridgeline Pick Up? I saw it last week at a dealer and you can bet when that bad boy goes hybrid it will improve mileage more than 1-3 mpgs.

Gas-gulping Hybrids

I dissed the Ridgeline in my March 8 blog report - there's a link to its web page there too.

It's got a trunk below the pickup bed, behind the rear axle. When I first saw that, I immediately thought "Battery compartment!"

Gas-gulping Hybrids

GM, like VolksWagan (according to their own words), is only looking at their financial bottom line. Unfortunately, that's looking like total economic collapse, bankruptcy. And what will that do the the U.S. economy & the world overall? Back in 1992 Toyota decided on their committment to a wholistic view for the environment (& fuel economy). Because of this, now Toyota has nearly all of the patents for hybrids, which will be needed for fuel cell technology too & will become the leading auto maker in the world. It could be that there committment to hybrids will eventually shut out everyone else, & make cheaper mass produced hybrids. If we would think like that individually we'd all be happy, rich & live good long lives. And maybe there'd be less whining for corporate handouts of your tax dollars.

Gas-gulping Hybrids

The really stupid thing is the US government tried to get the big three to create hybrids. Under Clinton the government gave the big three a huge sum of money to help them create hybrids. They came up with prototypes and when Bush came in they shut the program down and the big three went back to business as usuall.

ie no vision for the future.
    I used to be the type of guy who would search stores to find shirts made in the US. I only drove american cars. But the American car companies have hurt the USA with their lac of vision and their obstructionism at the US and state level.

Gas-gulping Hybrids

very true mike - and it's ever so much harder to accept when you work inside a typical USA engineering & manufacturing plant.

no real future vission.

i work for a spa company now. they allocate only 7 months to design & build a new *inovative* spa. when you subtract time to tool the new spa, there's really only 2 months of design time left.

now, you'd think a spa is simply a tub... but there really are several systems along with aestetic issues that are hard to accomplish & manufacture easily. having been there a while we engineers see many cool things to improve in a basic spa. but no time to do them.

so in the end little progress is made.

the same occured at a lighting company, tractor parts company, etc, etc.

USA only looks to the next quarter.

too bad.

see ya

Gas-gulping Hybrids

Mike -- could you please explain the programs you are talking about? The one clinton started and Bush killed?

Moreover, in the US, it is consumers and private industry that decide what is produced. Government incentives have never been as effective as market incentives (profits). Thats just a fact.

In the end, it may end with toyota dominating the global auto market and from what I can see they deserve to. However, as I wrote in my blog (link below) a while back, no company, no matter how successful, is guaranteed success in the future.
    http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/blog...ost_number=234

Gas-gulping Hybrids

while the consumer is the primary incentive, it's a shame that USA corporations read this as though all products need to be bottom price.

i've seen 1st hand where companies want a good CHEAP product to be produced but while the result may be cheap, it's seldom a product i'd want to buy & place in my home. some products are nearly impossible to buy as a quality product. (quality home electronics for instance).

i think there's an "aging" going on with corporations where they loose their initial reason for being. the person(s) having left the company years back. now they are run by accounting people who want to see nice neat quarterly returns.

even budgets for research & development get slashed when accounting types hear what engineering wants to have for development of new products. or how long it may take to launch something inovative.

can't have that! we might not reach our quarterly return! ~ yet in time the company completely looses footing on their market. THEN what's your quarterly return?

see ya

Gas-gulping Hybrids

I think hybrids shouldn't use a gas jump start i've really thought of a few ways and paten them so no one will steal them.Trust me us japanese know our tech. we are using a new study and we've perfected it easily in no time at all.thats what Ihave to say