+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Road Trips

Road Trips

I've only seen 1 or 2 references to maximum distance a hybrid car can travel, but they were unclear. I would love to be more environmentally friendly, but I take a lot of road trips. Has anyone taken their hybrid on a road trip or know max miles? And what happens if you pass the max miles?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Road Trips

Peggy-

A hybrid can go for as long a road trip as you want...you don't plug it in, just add gas when you get close to empty. I think you might be referring to an electric car. Hybrids are just like the car you drive now, except the battery assists the engine. Read some more on this site, and you'll find out what a great investment a hybrid is.

Good luck!

Road Trips

simple answer - expect a range of about 500 miles before stopping for more gas. 12 gallon tank.

see ya

steve

Road Trips

Range = mpg * gallons. You can look up real owner gas mileage figures in things like the greenhybrid.com real owner mileage database (common owners get 45-48mpg). You can look up fuel tank sizes from the manufacturer websites as well as research sites like MSN Autos and Edmunds.

A non-California Civic Hybrid for example has a 13.2 gallon tank. If you want to figure on leaving a tiny reserve, then figure 12 usable gallons. Right now the average MPG for the Civic Hybrid is 45mpg according to the real owner database. 12 times 45 is 540 miles. You can then do that same calculation for whatever other vehicles you're interested in.

Coincidentally, 540 miles at 65mph means 8.3 hours of continuous driving between fillups. That's a pretty good vehicle endurance.

Road Trips

yeah, a hybrid's range is more then my bladder can take...

see ya

steve

Today, modern road tripping

Today, modern road tripping is a fast growing hobby, and not just a means of vacationing. Groups dedicated to the art of the road trip, known either as professional road trippers or road enthusiasts, are becoming prevalent online. Maldives holiday