+ Reply to Thread

Poll: for my class.

will educating new drivers about hybrid cars in schools work?

Reply with:
    Yes or No

And if you got an opinion go ahead and state it also.

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Each "new" consumer who understands the reasons to buy hybrids will take that learning into the marketplace someday, and will replace an "old" consumer who never had the benefit of that learning. Thus, over time, the marketplace will fill with more informed consumers who will make more informed buying decisions.

It's like filling a pipeline: To change what's coming out at one end, you've got to change what's going in at the other end.

Does that make sense?

Good luck with your project.

If you mean in Drivers' Ed class, I say no. This info is not relevant to the class (though it could be argued that in some fringe way it is). I think it would take time away from the more essential subjects of the class: safety, responsibility, defensive driving, proper vehicle operation, etc. When teaching a skill, it's very important to give clear focused information without anything extraneous that could just lead to distraction or confusion. In fact, when dealing with beginners, instructors will often present very limited information, intentionally leaving out a lot of things in order to develop fundamental skills.

If you mean in some other form, then I say yes. I think education in general is great and it may make future car buyers more aware of the technology and the options. It may make future voters more aware of global and environmental issues. It may spark future college students' interests in engineering. It may do any number of things and that's why I say yes.

It depends on what you mean by "work."

If by "work" you mean, "convince a *majority* of students to be environmentally conscious and consider the purchase of fuel efficient vehicles," then my answer is "no." These are high school kids after all, and the majority of them have other priorities.

If by "work" you mean, "convince at least a small number of students to be environmentally conscious and consider the purchase of fuel efficient vehicles," then my answer is "yes." I think that there are a few kids out there who will listen, and for them, it will make sense.

And finally, if you are asking "would it be worth it," I would answer "yes," because every person we convince to think this way, is one less person we have to convince later on.

"YES"

Very few people understand Hybrids. ANY education on saving our enviroment is a high priority with global warming a serious problem right now. High school kids can use this as a selling point to convince their parents to help them invest in a Hybrid car. You have high performance, save fuel, join in on slowing down global warming, protecting Mother Earth's plants and animals.

SPREAD THE WORD!
    http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2005/climate-speth.html

Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer (following on some of the other great comments)

1) Drivers ed -- yes, not b/c all the kids will care about and want to take action on the environment, but because it directly affects the operational cost of driver something some kids will be aware of. Even if they can't get hybrids, they'll be aware of efficiency and pollution. It will be on their radar.

2) General Discusion with kids -- perhaps the tech spin -- this stuff its interesting and some students will like that cars/autos improve in performance a lot of ways. Airbags, hybrids, anti-lock brakes, 4WD, etc.. Or perhaps the oil discussion on prices, economy, consumer spending etc..

Overall a holistic view may offer something to different kids in a drivers ed class or just an age appropriate class that discusses current events (oil, etc).

Driving and cars are an institution in the US b/c of the freedom and individuality cars offer and discussing the affects of driving is a good idea. We talk about drunk driving don't we?

I do think that the politics of it -- whether environmental or foreign policy must be offered at only the most macro level and with true balance (ie, consumer choice vs. environmental policy -- both as equally valid positions to hold each person can make up where they find the balance)

Yes

No, they don't care, its that simple. ANd the ones who do already know about hybrids.

Yes,
    It can't hurt to raise awarness but I think the impact will be dependant upon how the teacher presents the information.

Yes

Studies have shown that one way to get adults to embrace a concept is to teach it to their kids. Seatbelts are a good example - many families have been spurred to buckle up due to "nagging" by the kids.

This is the focus of much environmental outreach in general, e.g., recycling. Why not the benefits of hybrids as well?