+ Reply to Thread

Toyota to Offer Hybrid Lexus Sedan in 2006

LA Times, 3-24-05

From Bloomberg News

Toyota Motor Corp., the world's largest seller of gasoline-electric autos, said its next hybrid would be a Lexus luxury sedan able to accelerate from zero to 60 mph in less than six seconds.

The Lexus GS 450h will start sales next year and will be Toyota's first hybrid with rear-wheel drive, the company said. Toyota said the sedan's combination of a V-6 engine and an electric motor would get about 30 miles per gallon of gasoline.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

It's here at the NY Auto Show right now. Go to http://www.autoshowny.com/vehicle/ga...ml?debuts-2005 and scroll to page 5 to see a photo.

See what I said in the "reality of hybrids" section.
    Toyota/Lexus is only interested in hybrids inasmuch as it leads them to push cars with barely acceptable CAFE limits but better performance. 30 miles per gallon is really unimpressive. In Europe they do make diesel performance cars like the Mercedes that get better mileage than that.

If you get any car that has a 0-60 of 6 seconds and you think you are saving the planet, you need a reality check. This is why I'm saying that simply pushing hybrids is not good enough, they must be met with greatly increased corporate average fuel economy. People must stop worshipping at the altar of performance.

You make a good point, but on the other hand... Making this type of hybrid which replaces a V8 with a hybrid V6, and offering the option to people who would only consider a vehicle with this type of performance is a step in the right direction.

At least it's a choice, and compared to a comparable non-hybrid version, it's a lot better in terms of efficiency and emissions. So if a person refuses to "stop worshipping at the altar of performance," isn't it a good thing that they can at least buy a better version of the vehicle?

I know that you're addressing something that is more at the root of the problem, and these "performance" hybrids are more like treating the symptoms than curing the disease, but at least it's an improvement.

And, it's a big step for hybrid technology in general, in terms of gaining public awareness and acceptance.

Public acceptance is not good enough, it has to have tangible results. These performance hybrids are really just a giant snow job. Where are the real economy car hybrids that have been promised for ages?

Let's say that SUV's in the next 4 years are all hybrids. Will that decrease our reliance on foreign oil or reduce greenhouse gasses? Not necessarily. Not if it allows them to push SUV's harder, and even more of the fleet gets converted over to light trucks. If everybody drives hybrid Hummers, that's still alot of fuel.

i have to agree with randykato. if hybrids arguments are akin to sailboats verses powerboats, then we're really just discussing the merits of various types of sailboats. if everyone HAD a hybrid we'd be tons better off then before. regardless of the type of hybrid.

after all, economy cars have been around for over 30 years, and they certainly never became the *norm*. ~ mainly because of the lack of performance. lack of extras. lack of overall capabilities. and they always looked so stupid!

if the manufacturers were to put out 100% hybrids - even with the thin joke of just the autostop-start feature, we'd be seeing results very quickly.

i also think simply having the miles per galon display would gain 2 MPG per every car out there.

hybrid or not it's a good step forward.

see ya

Some diesel might get better

Some diesel might get better mileage but diesel fuel costs more in general. I much rather prefer a hybrid that runs on regular fuel than a diesel car that costs more to fuel up for a slight increase in gas mileage. It adds up in the end with diesel.

months days ago,i saw a video about a great thing call multi spark discharge system,its so amazing!the spark power i\'m sure you have never seen it before,and i have hesitated to buy it for a long time,just not sure its performance.....
    You can have a look here:http://share.renren.com/share/327740...2777460?from=0

buy cheapest generic Tetracycline 500 Mg non prescription

fitting the long body and each pair of legs having a Scarecrow. \"Only her magic arts had kept her alive so remarked the Scarecrow, when they were in the garden.
    When the sky is clear blue and there is no single cloud how can you stay sad and hopeless? ,
    8005 - http://emprendedordigital.com/profil...pped-overnight
    buy cheapest Penisole 300 Mg money order
    with amusement. She said a tin man appealed to her artistic instincts
    buying cheap Tetracycline 500 Mg in Missouri no prescription
    purchase online Penisole 300 Mg overnight fedex no prescription
    order safety Penisole 300 Mg in Rhode Island no prescription -- http://emprendedordigital.com/profil...ription-zebeta
    buy cheap generic Penisole 300 Mg in Oregon no prescription needed online
    43757 - http://emprendedordigital.com/profil...oxifen-without
    where to get Penisole 300 Mg US no prescription needed
    THE FATE OF THE MAGIC UMBRELLA
    get cheap generic Penisole 300 Mg no script needed cod overnight
    Body produces three to four times more cholesterol than you get with food every day.
    wholesale Penisole 300 Mg in Tennessee no prescription needed online
    where to get Penisole 300 Mg in Rhode Island no prescription needed online
    where buy Retin-A Tretinoin 0.05,0.025 % in Oklahoma no prescription needed online
    licensed pharmacy to buy Penisole 300 Mg without a prescription
    Trot now sent for the Princesses, who had been weeping and wailing
    Many people become depressed during difficult times. Take care if you’re in trouble!