+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Hybrid Minivan US Availability?

Follow up on my Sept 28th posting (see above string) .....

I advised I was writitng Honda and Toyota about the precived demand for Hybrid Minivans. Got a call from Honda saying they have no plans, but thanks for writting, they will share my thoughts with those that should hear it within Honda.

I have not heard back from the Toyota folks

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Larry, (Oct 12),
    If Toyota's not answering thier phone, try email. Here's thier email form, and I usually get a reply. http://toyota.custhelp.com

Can't find the Honda email form. Could someone post?

Dan <11011011> - http://screamingmonkeys.blogspot.com

Dan (and others)

I finally heard back from Toyota. The guy that called me sounded like he was reading from a script - thanks...will make sure your suggestion is reviewed by management...other models are being added each year...blah blah blah. I asked him if they had received similar feedback from others and he could not tell me. I asked how far out Toyota plans new releases..again he could not tell me.

I actually wrote letters and faxed them to Honda and Toyota. The numbers are on their web sites

Ah, corporations. Didn't you see the movie? They're all psychopathic.

We need another "Tucker" on this one. A renegade with a vision.

I'm married with two small kids. We've already outgrown the '97 Volvo 850 wagon we drive, since every time we have to take another adult or child passenger along with us, we're compromising safety as well as comfort.

I'm desperately passionate about the cause of reducing fuel consumption... for years, North American car ads with their focus on "power" and "climbing mountains" have made me sick with frustration.

WOMEN AND SENSIBLE MEN DO BUY VEHICLES. I wish this message could get through to those who manufacture automobiles.

We're lucky to live in a city with decent walkability, bikeability, and public transport, but we do need to own a car.

I WANT A HYBRID MINIVAN THAT SEATS 6+, DAMNIT!!!! AND I DON'T CARE HOW "POWERFUL" IT IS! I JUST WANT IT TO GET ME FROM HERE TO THERE SAFELY!!!

LISTEN TO ME!!! I HAVE THE MONEY RIGHT HERE AND I AM NOT SPENDING IT! GIVE ME THE CAR I WANT TO BUY!!!!

Thank you for giving me an outlet.

I have been waiting for the Estima since 2001. In the meantime we purchased a Honda Civic sedan. Recently we rented a minivan to take a trip to the Black Hills, a fun experience for us and our two boys. That trip, however, convinced me I don't need a minivan, I can rent one for those few times that a minivan is necessary. (We only have two boys, if we had more children I'd definitely opt for the minivan.) So, we're planning on buying a Prius next year. But, I'm heartened by all of the comments here.

"The Hybrid dreamers, watch out".
    The hybrid cars currently on the market cost from $3500 to $6000 more per car than comparable cars with conventional gas engines. This means that the amount of money you save, or donít save, by buying a hybrid is very much dependent on gasoline prices. If gas is priced at $2.00 per gallon (we wish), it could take the average driver (15,000 miles per year) between 10 and 15 years to amortize the $3500 increase in the initial price. However, the higher gas prices go, the less time it takes to recoup the higher price tag.

FWIW: I emailed Toyota and got a response (pretty quickly, actually). The response was "We apologize, we do not currently have any plans to announce the introduction of a hybrid Sienna Minivan in the U.S. We are, however, aware of consumer interest, and consistently strive to remain competitive in today's market...."

They thanked me for my interest and documented it in the National Headquarters (I'm sure I know what that means).

Remesh,
    thanks for your input, bu most people can figure out whether the economics of the hybrid work out for their particular situation. Unfortunately, folks like you and Consumer Reports propogate the myth that the hybrid drive train is not worth the cost based on the "average driver". You may want to look at the September Money Magazine article on the actual cost SAVINGS from driving hybrids and diesels. In addition, I would suspect most folks that chose to be hybrid drivers are not average or they do so for reasons other that pure economics. I do chose to drive a hybrid to save money. I drive over 25,000 miles per year, often 30,000. Also, the $3,500-6,000 you cite as additional cost is not entirely accurate when compared to comparably equipped models. Furthermore, when the federal AND state tax incentives are accounted for, there often is much less of a difference in cost. In Connecticut (where I live), they allow purchasers of hybrids to skip the state sales tax of 6%! That, along with the federal deductions/credits goes a long way toward covering the up-front cost difference.

I would also like a hybrid minivan, I am so tired of the horible gas milage my SUV gets and my kids are only getting bigger. I need more room. If they had a hybrid minivan on the market I would buy it tomorrow.

To the guy from NYC who needs a large van,
    Your prayer is answer!
    Mercedes is testing a PLUG-IN DIESEL HYBRID sprinter, I think that model comes inboth high top and reg top too.